Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is there a mathematical law dictating the outcome?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 1 year ago by SergeM.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

YES [ 16 ]  [64.00%]
NO [ 7 ]  [28.00%]
DON'T KNOW [ 2 ]  [8.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 25 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
Economy class
Belgium
Member #123700
February 27, 2012
4035 Posts
Posted: August 31, 2015, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

Is it possible to win?

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1511 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2015, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

mmmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking no.  I think just creating your own numbers and just sticking with it.  I say no because I don't think that Pb or MM is truly random number picking.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3300 Posts
      Posted: August 31, 2015, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

there is certainty that the numbers drawn will be between 1-n where n is the max numbers drawn

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7310 Posts
        Posted: August 31, 2015, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

mmmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking no.  I think just creating your own numbers and just sticking with it.  I say no because I don't think that Pb or MM is truly random number picking.

How long it takes depends on the game. The NY evening pick-3 has 12,705 drawings and all 1000 possible outcomes were drawn. Games with millions of possible outcomes could take over 2.5 million years before there is enough drawings for just to make it possible. Your guess is as good as mine of how many millions of years of more drawings it would take until all the outcomes are drawn.

"I say no because I don't think that Pb or MM is truly random number picking."

On average there should be one five number match for every 18,492,204 tickets sold so you could check individual state ticket sales to prove or disprove your "not random" theory.

United States
          Member #145267
          August 1, 2013
          1511 Posts
          Posted: August 31, 2015, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

Yes, that's why I say pick some numbers and just stick with it.

United States
            Member #132100
            August 26, 2012
            1076 Posts
            Posted: September 1, 2015, 3:41 am - IP Logged

Yes, that's why I say pick some numbers and just stick with it.

Once you know all the facts if you ever do!

For example, for mechanical drawings:

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/newton3laws.html

For RNGs something else would apply, What? I don't know!

----------

There is cause and effect, without a cause there is not an effect!

There are universal laws, in our Universe there is no place for "Random", it doesn't fit anywhere, our Universe is a Universe of order and not of chaos

Universal laws are immutable.

http://ourultimatereality.com/the-universal-law-of-cause-and-effect.html

http://www.everystudent.com/wires/organized.html

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19828 Posts
              Posted: September 1, 2015, 8:23 am - IP Logged

How long it takes depends on the game. The NY evening pick-3 has 12,705 drawings and all 1000 possible outcomes were drawn. Games with millions of possible outcomes could take over 2.5 million years before there is enough drawings for just to make it possible. Your guess is as good as mine of how many millions of years of more drawings it would take until all the outcomes are drawn.

"I say no because I don't think that Pb or MM is truly random number picking."

On average there should be one five number match for every 18,492,204 tickets sold so you could check individual state ticket sales to prove or disprove your "not random" theory.

"On average there should be one five number match for every 18,492,204 tickets sold so you could check individual state ticket sales to prove or disprove your "not random" theory."

Since each state contributes more than 60% of their sales to their jackpots I would expect each state lottery commissions are already doing that to make sure they aren't being taken advantage of.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49758 Posts
                Posted: September 1, 2015, 9:33 am - IP Logged

Is it possible to win?

Benford's Law states that the quantity of most things in the real world is more likely to be described by a number beginning in 1 than any other digit, and the likelihood of it being described by other digits declines  as those digits get higher.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19828 Posts
                  Posted: September 1, 2015, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Is it possible to win?

I wouldn't call it a law but a mathematical formula describing the possible outcomes, the probability formula the says a 6/49 lottery has 13,983,816 possible outcomes.  But when the most popular combination of two is played and it's in the drawing results the possible out comes are reduced to 178,386 possible outcomes.

It's kinda like when Massachusetts had its Windfall game with a rollback every three months or so, everyone knew that a 5of6 would pay more the cost of the number of tickets to guaranteed such a win if no one hit the jackpot but few could afford such a gamble.  It's those high stake risks that most gamblers aren't willing to take that make the game fair for most of its players.  Once it become know that someone is willing to take those risks and winning as a result the game will be eliminated such as was with the Windfall game.

Evil Looking       

Economy class
                    Belgium
                    Member #123700
                    February 27, 2012
                    4035 Posts
                    Posted: September 2, 2015, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

But when the most popular combination of two is played ...

Do you mean the most frequent couple?

Economy class
                      Belgium
                      Member #123700
                      February 27, 2012
                      4035 Posts
                      Posted: September 2, 2015, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes I could notice characteristics for some games that could lead to a win. I tend to forget what I intended to play these days, probably because I don't want to spend my money on the lottery, as the win is categorized as unsure.

Playing the top frequent couple means believing that there is a trend for this. It is sticking to a pair of numbers, just waiting for it to be drawn.

Probably there is no trick to it, somebody would win all the time.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19828 Posts
                        Posted: September 2, 2015, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

But when the most popular combination of two is played ...

Do you mean the most frequent couple?

The most frequent anything, couple of numbers, patterns and etc.  There's no reason for anything, numbers, patterns and etc to stand out from the rest in a totally random event and yet some do.  Playing combinations that take advantage of those freaks could payoff in time.

Evil Looking       

Economy class
                          Belgium
                          Member #123700
                          February 27, 2012
                          4035 Posts
                          Posted: September 3, 2015, 3:48 am - IP Logged

With mathematics the result is approaching the average the more experiences we make. Numbers stand out, we only have a short period, only at the end one would now. A turning wheel just might have a preference to stop at a certain number or group of numbers, just because of the device being like that. Just that might be what we are looking for. With the huge amount of possible outcomes, this might just be too hard to find or it doesn't pay as the payout is diluted.
                          Looking at your scores on the board, you do things correctly, eventually with a bit of luck.
                          So I thought there is absolute randomness approaching the average closely and there are groups of combinations that may score higher due to the machine. You can understand quickpick players that don't worry about programs and methods of picking numbers.