Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tried my experiment of buying 18 Lucky for life tickets

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 1 year ago by shyguitar.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: September 6, 2015, 8:54 am - IP Logged

Well I did my experiment of buying 18 Lucky for Life draw tickets at 2 dollars a piece for 36 dollars. Since there are 18 lucky balls it made sense to buy 18 tickets and see my outcome. You pick 5 numbers out of 48 then you have to pick 1 lucky ball number out of 18. I tried looking at the past few months of draws to see how I wanted to pick my numbers. The difference between doing this and buying 15 mega millions tickets is the fact that with MM you have to pick 5 numbers out of 75 so that means if you played all those numbers you could only play them once for the 15 tickets. At least with Lucky for Life I was able to play some numbers more than once. My outcome was not good. I was very surprised by the numbers drawn last Monday, they were 8 10 16 22 25 lucky number 14. There was only one other time I the last 15 draws for this game that the last number was in the 20's. The majority of times the last number was in the 40's. There was only one of my lines I played with a number in the twenties being my last number. Well after spending 36 dollars I ended up winning just just 7 dollars. I won 4 dollars for having the lucky ball number and 3 dollars for having 2 of the 5 numbers. Still glad I did this experiment. It just goes to show how completely random the lottery is and that I can't necessarily go by previously drawn numbers. I might start picking my numbers when I play my one PB and Lucky For Life tickets each week Just to make it more interesting than my usual quick picks. It will probably be awhile before doing this experiment again.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: September 6, 2015, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

I have wanted to try it myself but never did. I play this game because I win more often than I do on MM & PB. Good luck Thumbs Upin your plays

That money's gone fo ever

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: September 7, 2015, 8:29 am - IP Logged

I have wanted to try it myself but never did. I play this game because I win more often than I do on MM & PB. Good luck Thumbs Upin your plays

Thanks. That's great that you win more often on Lucky For Life. I like the fact that you can at least win 3 dollars for having 2 numbers and you can't win anything for having 2 numbers on PB and MM. Good luck to you.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19828 Posts
        Posted: September 7, 2015, 9:18 am - IP Logged

Thanks. That's great that you win more often on Lucky For Life. I like the fact that you can at least win 3 dollars for having 2 numbers and you can't win anything for having 2 numbers on PB and MM. Good luck to you.

You can if one of them is the bonus number Wink.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
          Texas
          United States
          Member #86154
          January 30, 2010
          1649 Posts
          Posted: September 7, 2015, 9:44 am - IP Logged

Well I did my experiment of buying 18 Lucky for Life draw tickets at 2 dollars a piece for 36 dollars. Since there are 18 lucky balls it made sense to buy 18 tickets and see my outcome. You pick 5 numbers out of 48 then you have to pick 1 lucky ball number out of 18. I tried looking at the past few months of draws to see how I wanted to pick my numbers. The difference between doing this and buying 15 mega millions tickets is the fact that with MM you have to pick 5 numbers out of 75 so that means if you played all those numbers you could only play them once for the 15 tickets. At least with Lucky for Life I was able to play some numbers more than once. My outcome was not good. I was very surprised by the numbers drawn last Monday, they were 8 10 16 22 25 lucky number 14. There was only one other time I the last 15 draws for this game that the last number was in the 20's. The majority of times the last number was in the 40's. There was only one of my lines I played with a number in the twenties being my last number. Well after spending 36 dollars I ended up winning just just 7 dollars. I won 4 dollars for having the lucky ball number and 3 dollars for having 2 of the 5 numbers. Still glad I did this experiment. It just goes to show how completely random the lottery is and that I can't necessarily go by previously drawn numbers. I might start picking my numbers when I play my one PB and Lucky For Life tickets each week Just to make it more interesting than my usual quick picks. It will probably be awhile before doing this experiment again.

Hey,  you have the right idea here regarding the numbers in general. Playing a 5/48 is vastly different from the 5/75 and I'm talking about (27) less numbers to haggle over which affords you at least a tiny bit of control of what must happen. That same amount of money on PB or MM's would've more than likely have been a complete loss as opposed to recovering $7 here. Like you said, try again later but in the mean time you can still try scratch offs to finish recovering the remaining $29. No need to lock yourself into a total loss with this jackpot because $5 wins here and $10 there on scratch offs still recovers from the lottery as a whole. So, keep track of where you're at financially and it'll make it more fun to play. In my opinion, that $36 would now be well suited to some $2 - $5 scratch offs which will probably allow you to hit at least $10 - $20 and maybe more in order to get all your money back. It's not the perfect plan but, it has lots of common sense potential in terms of approach...and I use it because you must have some sort of plan for recovery. Good luck on what ever direction you take from here!!

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #77167
            July 15, 2009
            555 Posts
            Posted: September 7, 2015, 9:56 am - IP Logged

Hi Shyguitar, Have you tired selecting the 18 lucky balls and let the computer pick the five white balls?

I had 2 lines--one I picked won zero.  The quick pick won $3 with two white balls.

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: September 7, 2015, 11:51 am - IP Logged

You can if one of them is the bonus number Wink.

What I meant by stating you can't win anything on PB or MM if you get two numbers was out of the 5 numbers you pick. Agree that if you count the bonus number then you can win.

United States
                Member #122468
                February 1, 2012
                530 Posts
                Posted: September 7, 2015, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Hey,  you have the right idea here regarding the numbers in general. Playing a 5/48 is vastly different from the 5/75 and I'm talking about (27) less numbers to haggle over which affords you at least a tiny bit of control of what must happen. That same amount of money on PB or MM's would've more than likely have been a complete loss as opposed to recovering $7 here. Like you said, try again later but in the mean time you can still try scratch offs to finish recovering the remaining $29. No need to lock yourself into a total loss with this jackpot because $5 wins here and $10 there on scratch offs still recovers from the lottery as a whole. So, keep track of where you're at financially and it'll make it more fun to play. In my opinion, that $36 would now be well suited to some $2 - $5 scratch offs which will probably allow you to hit at least $10 - $20 and maybe more in order to get all your money back. It's not the perfect plan but, it has lots of common sense potential in terms of approach...and I use it because you must have some sort of plan for recovery. Good luck on what ever direction you take from here!!

Thanks for your response. I hear what you say about trying scratch offs for recovering money but buying scratch offs were an addiction for me when I first started playing the lottery 4 years ago. I only play scratchers with a much better mindset, will just buy one scratcher occasionally and if I win on one ticket leave the store and if I lose buy one more and take it home to scratch. My budgeting on the lottery needed to happen and I am in a much better emotional place because of my budgeting. That's why my experiment of spending the 36 dollars was within my budget. Today at the grocery store I took my 7 dollar win and bought one Mass Cash ticket, one MM with the multiplier and one PB with the Powerplay option. I will try the experiment again but not on a regular basis. Since the matrix is so high for MM (75 numbers) and PB (59 numbers) will not try the experiment on those,

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: September 7, 2015, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Hi Shyguitar, Have you tired selecting the 18 lucky balls and let the computer pick the five white balls?

I had 2 lines--one I picked won zero.  The quick pick won $3 with two white balls.

In my state don't think it's possible for computers to do that. Congrats on winning 3 dollars.