Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

powerball sales continue to drop

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 1 year ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
WV
United States
Member #107175
March 2, 2011
100 Posts
Posted: September 7, 2015, 12:10 am - IP Logged

For the past 10 PB drawings ticket sales total 268 million and the advertised JP is for 149 million. Looking back 2 years ago in just about the same time of the year ticket sales for 10 drawings were 460 million and the advertised JP was for 317 million. In just 2 years sales are now just a little more than half of what they were just 2 years ago. I did not total MM sales but just glancing at them can see they are quite a bit smaller then they use to be. I recall talk awhile back about some day seeing a billion dollar drawing some day in the future. Any ideas as to why sales have declined so much in recent years?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4104 Posts
    Posted: September 7, 2015, 1:00 am - IP Logged

For the past 10 PB drawings ticket sales total 268 million and the advertised JP is for 149 million. Looking back 2 years ago in just about the same time of the year ticket sales for 10 drawings were 460 million and the advertised JP was for 317 million. In just 2 years sales are now just a little more than half of what they were just 2 years ago. I did not total MM sales but just glancing at them can see they are quite a bit smaller then they use to be. I recall talk awhile back about some day seeing a billion dollar drawing some day in the future. Any ideas as to why sales have declined so much in recent years?

.. because it is human nature to go the extreme. At one time winning $10 million was considered Great. Not anymore. People got " comfortable" with reading about folk winning $100 mil, then that got stale, they wanted more exciting jackpots , ones that would and could blow the mind. The promise of $500 Mil jackpots being the norm in the very near future was preached from the rooftops but it did not materialize and players soon lost their initial excitement. It extends to other things as well. Boxing has its place, but people wanted Mixed Martial Arts,get them in the cage,lets see blood- excite us they said. It has now spilled into Politics . Trump is saying things that some people would consider outrageous, talking about building a "Wall so high and beautiful " that no one will be able to climb. Many folks love that kind of talk and it has propelled him to the head of the pack. People do not want the same old same old and in the same line of thinking... why should jackpots be any different?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1493 Posts
      Posted: September 7, 2015, 3:43 am - IP Logged

I think people are not excited about the lottery anymore, especially states that rarely see a jackpot win.  Other reason: unemployment, lack of hope, $2.00 pb and no wins for a long period of time, seeing the same places win and very high odds.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #77167
        July 15, 2009
        554 Posts
        Posted: September 7, 2015, 10:10 am - IP Logged

I think people have become smarter about what they play.  Astronomical odds and huge jackpots may be fine for those playing for fun.  Some people are playing to win more modest amounts.  They would rather buy a $1 million scratch off or a $250,000 scratch off.  What PB is proposing is ridiculous.  I expect their sales to continue to drop.  There are  a lot of games with better odds with jackpots high enough for a win to improve someone's life.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
          Texas
          United States
          Member #86154
          January 30, 2010
          1648 Posts
          Posted: September 7, 2015, 10:20 am - IP Logged

.. because it is human nature to go the extreme. At one time winning $10 million was considered Great. Not anymore. People got " comfortable" with reading about folk winning $100 mil, then that got stale, they wanted more exciting jackpots , ones that would and could blow the mind. The promise of $500 Mil jackpots being the norm in the very near future was preached from the rooftops but it did not materialize and players soon lost their initial excitement. It extends to other things as well. Boxing has its place, but people wanted Mixed Martial Arts,get them in the cage,lets see blood- excite us they said. It has now spilled into Politics . Trump is saying things that some people would consider outrageous, talking about building a "Wall so high and beautiful " that no one will be able to climb. Many folks love that kind of talk and it has propelled him to the head of the pack. People do not want the same old same old and in the same line of thinking... why should jackpots be any different?

A man after my own thoughts for the most part here. noise-gate, greed completely took over with the jackpot games although officials have tried to pass it off as offering larger and more exciting prizes. See, they promote only the idea of winning millions upon millions  and how much fun it would be to win but, they completely ignore discussing just how much more harder it'll be to win ANYTHING. Their plan is to keep that money right where it is as long as they can so they can use it as needed without worry of a winner. Lotteries play on people's emotions with jackpot games because they know so many people are desperate and will play regardless of how far fetched a win is. You hit the nail on the head when you spoke on winning $10 million being GREAT!! Hey, $10 million is STILL GREAT in my book 'cause it'll fix any and every financial problem I have!! However, it just doesn't work this way for most players as they need to win $100 million or so. Yeah, ten isn't near enough and they try to rationalize not playing for small jackpots/smaller lottery games when THEY CAN WIN SO MUCH MORE on MM's or PB.

Not surprised at all by your statement because I went over the same thing a while back and it's right here:

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/244751

Read the posts very carefully about how the players had a problem parting with only $1 to win a very good starting jackpot. Now, the game is much, much, much harder...and now they must part with $2 at the expense of much worse odds and literally zero chance of winning. noise-gate, I saw the writing on the wall a long time ago and adjusted accordingly. As far as your comment about Trump, he also never mentioned that it would cost well over $4 million per mile to build a fence. But, like you said, people simply want to hear that kind of talk as opposed to actually seeing how he'd walk...and he won't be walking along a fence any time soon. Bet on that and you'll win big.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

United States
            Member #34931
            March 9, 2006
            98 Posts
            Posted: September 7, 2015, 11:44 am - IP Logged

Arizona Lottery . . FY 2014-2015 comparison . . Powerball   -17.2% . . MegaMillions   -18.4%

Quarterly sales by product . . pull tabs <1% . . in-state games 9.2% . . multi-state games 18.3% . . scratchers 72.3%

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
              Member #158848
              September 5, 2014
              294 Posts
              Posted: September 7, 2015, 11:45 am - IP Logged

I don't play PB near as much since the ticket price went up to $2, and $3 for a power play is pretty steep. I also don't play MM as much since they increased the size of their number matrix. 

I pretty much just play $10/$20/$30 scratchers now.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                Happy California
                United States
                Member #157856
                August 2, 2014
                1507 Posts
                Posted: September 7, 2015, 11:49 am - IP Logged

The Economy is a big factor in Lottery sales. Starting in 2008 when the Great Recession hit then people looked for a way out of their dire circumstances. They dreamed big and played PB & MM . There are plenty of videos about unemployed players winning big.  A great story line back then.

Now is different for the majority.  They will start trickling into play when the jackpot reaches 200 million. I hope.

Patriot

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4104 Posts
                  Posted: September 7, 2015, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

A man after my own thoughts for the most part here. noise-gate, greed completely took over with the jackpot games although officials have tried to pass it off as offering larger and more exciting prizes. See, they promote only the idea of winning millions upon millions  and how much fun it would be to win but, they completely ignore discussing just how much more harder it'll be to win ANYTHING. Their plan is to keep that money right where it is as long as they can so they can use it as needed without worry of a winner. Lotteries play on people's emotions with jackpot games because they know so many people are desperate and will play regardless of how far fetched a win is. You hit the nail on the head when you spoke on winning $10 million being GREAT!! Hey, $10 million is STILL GREAT in my book 'cause it'll fix any and every financial problem I have!! However, it just doesn't work this way for most players as they need to win $100 million or so. Yeah, ten isn't near enough and they try to rationalize not playing for small jackpots/smaller lottery games when THEY CAN WIN SO MUCH MORE on MM's or PB.

Not surprised at all by your statement because I went over the same thing a while back and it's right here:

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/244751

Read the posts very carefully about how the players had a problem parting with only $1 to win a very good starting jackpot. Now, the game is much, much, much harder...and now they must part with $2 at the expense of much worse odds and literally zero chance of winning. noise-gate, I saw the writing on the wall a long time ago and adjusted accordingly. As far as your comment about Trump, he also never mentioned that it would cost well over $4 million per mile to build a fence. But, like you said, people simply want to hear that kind of talk as opposed to actually seeing how he'd walk...and he won't be walking along a fence any time soon. Bet on that and you'll win big.

You Right LL. GREED is the Word. BTW- I have for the most part said $20 mil has me walking off into the sunset for good, but will settle for less * $10 mil in a pinch. Big Smile 

Peace. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #18322
                    July 9, 2005
                    1704 Posts
                    Posted: September 7, 2015, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

Because the ticket price went up from $1.00 to $2.00. [Forget about the Power Play option]

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                      Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #104962
                      January 23, 2011
                      1075 Posts
                      Posted: September 7, 2015, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I think people are not excited about the lottery anymore, especially states that rarely see a jackpot win.  Other reason: unemployment, lack of hope, $2.00 pb and no wins for a long period of time, seeing the same places win and very high odds.

Right on the money!

Trump 2016!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10345 Posts
                        Posted: September 7, 2015, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

It's ironic and entertaining that people trying to win multi-millions throw a fit over and extra $1 or $2 for a ticket.

It's really entertaining when many of those same people gladly fork over $10 or $20 for a raffle ticket that might win $1 million.

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
                          Member #158848
                          September 5, 2014
                          294 Posts
                          Posted: September 7, 2015, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

It's ironic and entertaining that people trying to win multi-millions throw a fit over and extra $1 or $2 for a ticket.

It's really entertaining when many of those same people gladly fork over $10 or $20 for a raffle ticket that might win $1 million.

Scared

An extra buck or two is no big deal when you're talking about casual players who only buy 2 or 3 plays per draw. But what about the serious players, who might purchase 20 or 30 plays per draw? I know a couple that used to buy 30 PB plays per draw when they only cost $1, that's 8 or 9 draws a month at $30 bucks a pop, so $240 to $270 a month. But when plays went to $2 each, that would make the monthly cost $480 to $540 for the same number of plays, an amount most people can't afford. So naturally, my friends had to cut way back on the number of plays they bought.

As for raffles, I never play them. However, I might consider buying a raffle ticket for a charity or other good cause.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

Candy-Lane's avatar - yocco

United States
                            Member #167255
                            July 2, 2015
                            102 Posts
                            Posted: September 7, 2015, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

I pretty much agree with what everyone has already said. 

I think I could save PB and increase sells if, they wanted to hire me to turn things around. The current team is going to run it into the ground.  I will no longer play PB once the new changes go into effect.  I suspect I am not the only one.

RIP POWER BALL! 

It was fun while it lasted!

Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4104 Posts
                              Posted: September 7, 2015, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

An extra buck or two is no big deal when you're talking about casual players who only buy 2 or 3 plays per draw. But what about the serious players, who might purchase 20 or 30 plays per draw? I know a couple that used to buy 30 PB plays per draw when they only cost $1, that's 8 or 9 draws a month at $30 bucks a pop, so $240 to $270 a month. But when plays went to $2 each, that would make the monthly cost $480 to $540 for the same number of plays, an amount most people can't afford. So naturally, my friends had to cut way back on the number of plays they bought.

As for raffles, I never play them. However, I might consider buying a raffle ticket for a charity or other good cause.

Your friends knew something.....its called " knowing when to quit."