Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why is the Mega Millions cash jackpot slow to rise

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 1 year ago by HoLeeKau.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
Wisconsin
United States
Member #104962
January 23, 2011
1075 Posts
Posted: September 7, 2015, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

When did someone last win the mega millions jackpot?  Is it just me or is the cash jackpot really slow to move upwards?  Come on california, new york, throw your money in!

Trump 2016!

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
    Member #158848
    September 5, 2014
    294 Posts
    Posted: September 7, 2015, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

People have gotten spoiled on large jackpots. Many don't bother buying a ticket nowadays until the jackpot hits $200 million or more. Interest in jackpot games clearly appears to have waned in many parts of the country, both multi-state and state games.

Scratcher sales seem to be on the rise in many states. California and North Carolina both introduced their first $30 games this year, and I can attest to the fact that the sales of the NC one are brisk. I've been in several retail establishments that completely sold out of it the first week it was introduced, impressive for such a high dollar card.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #104962
      January 23, 2011
      1075 Posts
      Posted: September 8, 2015, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

People have gotten spoiled on large jackpots. Many don't bother buying a ticket nowadays until the jackpot hits $200 million or more. Interest in jackpot games clearly appears to have waned in many parts of the country, both multi-state and state games.

Scratcher sales seem to be on the rise in many states. California and North Carolina both introduced their first $30 games this year, and I can attest to the fact that the sales of the NC one are brisk. I've been in several retail establishments that completely sold out of it the first week it was introduced, impressive for such a high dollar card.

I usually wait til the cash jackpot is about 90million.   The scratchers have better odds but the cost of the tickets are really up there.

Trump 2016!

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49784 Posts
        Posted: September 8, 2015, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

When did someone last win the mega millions jackpot?  Is it just me or is the cash jackpot really slow to move upwards?  Come on california, new york, throw your money in!

The increase in Jackpot Size is directly proportional to Ticket Sales: Lower Ticket Sales means Slower Rise in Jackpot Size!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49784 Posts
          Posted: September 8, 2015, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

I usually wait til the cash jackpot is about 90million.   The scratchers have better odds but the cost of the tickets are really up there.

Look in the mirror and you'll see the cause of the Slow Rise in Jackpot Size. Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
            TX
            United States
            Member #121193
            January 4, 2012
            1637 Posts
            Posted: September 8, 2015, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

The last winner was on July 31st and we have only had 6 winners for 2015. Total jackpot annuity won is roughly at $889 Million divided by 6 jackpot winners puts it at $148.1 million average. There have been 2 winners in 2015 below the $100 million mark(1 @ $25 Million & 1 @ $58 Million) With that in mind and tonight's draw at $95 Million annuity/$58.8 Cash, perhaps the folks are just waiting on the bigger payout before they jump in and throw a few dollars at it.

Sulk Off

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Ringleader
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              40550 Posts
              Posted: September 8, 2015, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

BashTurkey

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10353 Posts
                Posted: September 8, 2015, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Why can't some people understand the Powerball goes up $10 million or more, and Mega Million starts with $5 million dollar increases?

Just look at the jackpot history for both games.

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3300 Posts
                  Posted: September 8, 2015, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

say the same% of  player money is spent on jackpots, im guessing %20. then  $2 ticket will add %20 of $2 or 40c to their pot, while a $1 ticket would add only 20% of $1 , 20c to their pots
                  or what coin toss said, just differently.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5611 Posts
                    Posted: September 8, 2015, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

Look in the mirror and you'll see the cause of the Slow Rise in Jackpot Size. Thud

Raven and Coin Toss, some people get it and......some people just don't.

There's no helping them.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #104962
                      January 23, 2011
                      1075 Posts
                      Posted: September 9, 2015, 12:53 am - IP Logged

Don't blame me for the lotteries slow rise.  I blame it on the same places consistently winning, but no, that is too much for some here to handle.

Trump 2016!

Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #104962
                        January 23, 2011
                        1075 Posts
                        Posted: September 9, 2015, 12:55 am - IP Logged

Raven and Coin Toss, some people get it and......some people just don't.

There's no helping them.

And you and the ones you mentioned don't get why less people are playing.  Can any of you three post a comment in a topic where you aren't insulting someone?  Maybe you cry babies that don't like the topic could tell me what type of topics you want me to post.

Trump 2016!

Wisconsin
                          United States
                          Member #104962
                          January 23, 2011
                          1075 Posts
                          Posted: September 9, 2015, 12:59 am - IP Logged

Those of you that posted decent non insulting comments, thanks!Big Smile

Trump 2016!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10353 Posts
                            Posted: September 9, 2015, 1:02 am - IP Logged

You, in the OP:
                            "When did someone last win the mega millions jackpot?  Is it just me or is the cash jackpot really slow to move upwards?  Come on california, new york, throw your money in!"

You, if someone wins a jackpot in one of those states:

Let It All Out

For someone who claims not to play MM or PB you sure do complain a lot about them.

Just because people don't agree with you they're not insulting you. Put your ego in park.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3474 Posts
                              Posted: September 9, 2015, 2:43 am - IP Logged

Don't blame me for the lotteries slow rise.  I blame it on the same places consistently winning, but no, that is too much for some here to handle.

The same places winning can only cause sales to go down if people think that means their chance of winning is lower and buy fewer tickets because of that belief, so you should blame it on stupidity.