Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning Scratcher Ticket Scans Incorrectly

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 1 year ago by yAAAAAAS.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Sacramento
United States
Member #168590
September 7, 2015
2 Posts
Posted: September 7, 2015, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

I purchased a crossword scratcher that should have paid $50. I just tried to cash it and the scanner behind the counter scanned it as a non-winner. I scanned it on the machine in front of the counter for customers and got the same result. The barcode is completely intact.  Anything I can do to claim my winnings?

Jacksonville
    United States
    Member #153806
    March 26, 2014
    346 Posts
    Posted: September 7, 2015, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

Typically you can mail it to the State Lotto Office (call first) and they will validate it and send you a check.  You'll have to send a winner's claim form.  Make sure the retailer who sold you the ticket activated the book.  I've bought the first or second ticket in a book and won.  When I tried to cash it in, the book was not activated yet and I couldnt cash the ticket until the retailer realized they forgot to activate the book (which seems to happen often).

Good luck.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
      Jacksonville Florida
      United States
      Member #23018
      October 6, 2005
      918 Posts
      Posted: September 8, 2015, 12:54 am - IP Logged

I purchased a crossword scratcher that should have paid $50. I just tried to cash it and the scanner behind the counter scanned it as a non-winner. I scanned it on the machine in front of the counter for customers and got the same result. The barcode is completely intact.  Anything I can do to claim my winnings?

Can you post a photo of the ticket (minus barcodes)?

SARASOTA, FL
        United States
        Member #95778
        August 17, 2010
        1093 Posts
        Posted: September 8, 2015, 6:58 am - IP Logged

Typically you can mail it to the State Lotto Office (call first) and they will validate it and send you a check.  You'll have to send a winner's claim form.  Make sure the retailer who sold you the ticket activated the book.  I've bought the first or second ticket in a book and won.  When I tried to cash it in, the book was not activated yet and I couldnt cash the ticket until the retailer realized they forgot to activate the book (which seems to happen often).

Good luck.

I've had that happen - GATORSROK is correct - when I mailed my ticket, not knowing back then that a knowledgeable clerk can call lottery headquarters and get it validated by phone, I had to wait about 3 - 4 weeks to get my money.

The normal response from a clerk is "you have to bring the ticket (s) back to where you bought it"  In my case I bought several tickets from several stores - it would be a real task and time consuming to find the store that didn't validate the ticket.

Whenever I buy a ticket now I ask if it was validated.

wins: $10,000 Jubilee - $5,000 $200MS - 31 $1k's - 185 $500's - 5 $400's

" ... some days you're the bug - some days you're the windshield ..."

Sacramento
          United States
          Member #168590
          September 7, 2015
          2 Posts
          Posted: September 8, 2015, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the responses. I went to the location where  I bought the ticket and the cashier said it had been validated. He also explained that if not validated it would show up as such on the screen. The screen message was "not a winning ticket"