Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can this really happen...

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Funtimz.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
Member #165244
March 30, 2015
228 Posts
Posted: September 10, 2015, 4:47 am - IP Logged

Thinking about ones who say they were getting gas or picking up milk and decided to buy 1 scratch off ticket and BOOM won at least a million. 

It just seems with any type of lottery wins you have to buy one or more ticket in order to win anything.  So how believable does it sound when winners say they only bought one ticket and won a large jackpot.

Does anyone believe they really bought just the one ticket? I'm talking prizes of one million and up.

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
    Member #9517
    December 10, 2004
    1272 Posts
    Posted: September 10, 2015, 5:31 am - IP Logged

Thinking about ones who say they were getting gas or picking up milk and decided to buy 1 scratch off ticket and BOOM won at least a million. 

It just seems with any type of lottery wins you have to buy one or more ticket in order to win anything.  So how believable does it sound when winners say they only bought one ticket and won a large jackpot.

Does anyone believe they really bought just the one ticket? I'm talking prizes of one million and up.

If enough people buy one ticket while shopping, it's no wonder if one of them win. Would not be surprised if that's how most tickets are bought.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19829 Posts
      Posted: September 10, 2015, 7:39 am - IP Logged

There are lots of players who buy lots of tickets one at a time.  There's no different between buying 10 tickets all at once or buying 10 tickets one at a time.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
        Dump Water Florida
        United States
        Member #380
        June 5, 2002
        3104 Posts
        Posted: September 10, 2015, 9:18 am - IP Logged

There are lots of players who buy lots of tickets one at a time.  There's no different between buying 10 tickets all at once or buying 10 tickets one at a time.

While I know what you are saying is true for the long term.  I believe with scratchoffs it is better to buy a block of tickets because there is usually a winning ticket(s) among x number of them, while it is certainly possible to dance around those winning tickets when buying only one at a time.

How often have we bought multiple scratch tickets and the first one was the only winner?

BobP

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
          Dallas, Texas
          United States
          Member #4549
          May 2, 2004
          1713 Posts
          Posted: September 10, 2015, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

Yes, very possible. Over the years I've had a lot of tickets where the first set was a winner. So if I hadn't bought 2,3,4 other sets, that would be the only set on the ticket.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
            Member #59354
            March 13, 2008
            3972 Posts
            Posted: September 10, 2015, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

I remember reading about a kid that had just turned 18 and bought his first ticket and won a JP

here in MO.   It happens, just not to me, I been playing systems so long that if I won on a QP I

might have to change my name before I claimed the prize. LOL

RL

Party

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3300 Posts
              Posted: September 10, 2015, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

I only spent $1 on keno tickets. ea time i go near a keno machine i spend $1.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                Member #142499
                May 13, 2013
                1183 Posts
                Posted: September 10, 2015, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

I don't really get why this would be hard to believe. One set of numbers has as much a chance of winning as any other set. Buying 2 tickets instead of 1 might increase the odds of winning, but when your chances of winning are so infinitesimal that extra tickets barely make a dent in your odds, one ticket is all you need.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Candy-Lane's avatar - yocco

United States
                  Member #167255
                  July 2, 2015
                  102 Posts
                  Posted: September 10, 2015, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

Do I believe someone who claims that they walked in and purchased a $20-30 scratch off ticket, and won a million or more, the very first time they ever purchased a scratch off ticket?  NO! - Not even remotely believable!

Do I believe that someone who has purchased a few less expensive scratch off tickets in the past then decides to buy a $20-30 ticket and, is lucky enough to win a million, or more?  Yes, that I can believe.

If I am going to buy a $20-30 scratch ticket, it will be the only one I purchase. HA!  - May explain why I haven't won yet!

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: September 11, 2015, 2:19 am - IP Logged

While I know what you are saying is true for the long term.  I believe with scratchoffs it is better to buy a block of tickets because there is usually a winning ticket(s) among x number of them, while it is certainly possible to dance around those winning tickets when buying only one at a time.

How often have we bought multiple scratch tickets and the first one was the only winner?

BobP

Based on the odds it's easy to calculate how many winners of a given amount will be in x number of tickets, but that's only an average, just the same as heads accounting for 50% of coin flips. Just as the actual distribution of heads won't follow a regular pattern of alternating every other flip, an average of 1 winner for every 5 tickets doesn't mean every block of 5 tickets will have 1 winner.

Since the spacing of winners is randomized some blocks will have more winners than suggested by the average number of winners. The necessary corollary to that is that other blocks will have more losers than suggested by average. If 20% of tickets are winners then there are 20 winners for every 100 tickets, but it doesn't mean every roll of 100 tickets has 20 winners. Some rolls will have more than 20 winners and some will have less. All rolls of 100 aren't the same and all blocks of 10 or 20 tickets aren't the same. The average means that they balance out, so a strategy that might get you more winners also means you might get more losers.

CALI
                      Afghanistan
                      Member #118735
                      November 6, 2011
                      134 Posts
                      Posted: September 11, 2015, 3:03 am - IP Logged

We have Purchased over 70,000 Tickets over the last 4 years and aint hit <snip>.

No major wins as of yet

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

(HIT THE BIG ONE, OR BUY A SKI MASK)

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
                        Member #165244
                        March 30, 2015
                        228 Posts
                        Posted: September 11, 2015, 4:47 am - IP Logged

Well sure I guess anything is possible when it comes to a game of chance.  Maybe I will just decide to pick up a ticket every time I put gas in my car or have to make a quick stop at a convenience store, rather than buying several tickets at one time...

Right place, right time is helpful too.

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...