Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New national lottery with a twist

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 1 year ago by bigbear29.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #145267
August 1, 2013
1732 Posts
Posted: September 12, 2015, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

Again, why would it be a trick, explain.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3316 Posts
    Posted: September 12, 2015, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

im guessing they dont have state lotteries

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/17/news/economy/states-without-lotteries/

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1732 Posts
      Posted: September 12, 2015, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

I don't know, you tell me , if states have their own  lottery games.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
        adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3316 Posts
        Posted: September 12, 2015, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

http://bfy.tw/1lQU

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
          Member #142499
          May 13, 2013
          1200 Posts
          Posted: September 12, 2015, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

I wonder how this would work to share the wealth:

You have two drawings:

Your state drawing, to see who in your state won the lottery.  You pay 1 or 2.00 dollar for a ticket and the money goes to a national pot.

Next, a national drawing that picks the state that wins the money ( 50 balls ).  Ex.  Alabama wins, so, the winner of that state gets the national jackpot money.  The state gets the tax money and and everybody is happy.

And of course the ODDS would be a lot lower.

Not sure if I interpreted it correctly, but seems like a great idea, definitely much better idea than the monopoly game. As I understand it, if a ticket is $2, $1 would go towards the state lottery and $1 towards the national lottery. Each state would hold the exact same drawing on the same day. Then after every state has their drawings and winners are announced, there is a second drawing, but nationally this time and every state's winner has a 1 in 50 chance of winning this second jackpot. 

The only problem with this idea is that you cannot guarantee that every state will produce a winner. Let's say that the odds for each state held game was 1 in 25 million. The states with large populations are likely to produce a winner, but Vermont, Wyoming, Delaware, states with very small populations, not so much. Do they keep drawing until they get a winner? Do they adjust the odds for each state to match the population density? How would that work?

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1732 Posts
            Posted: September 12, 2015, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

The ticket could be 2.00, and 1.00 could go to the state and 1.00 could go to the national game.  Yes, each state would have their own drawing to get 1 winner in each state.  Than the national drawing which hopefully will happen a lot more often than mm and pb, may-be right after all 50 states have their winners.  The dollar for the state game can be broken down into smaller amounts for second and third tier prizes.  But the big dollars would be the amount from the nation.

I think that every state can produce a winner,  it's all in how you set in up.

I guess my point is to get more people to play lottery and to have more winners/millionaires.  If people think something is fair, I think more people will play from every state.

Again, first you are playing against your own state, and than you are playing against the nation.  So, I think that it would not matter how many people are playing in one state for the national game.

I hope this makes sense.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              Texas
              United States
              Member #55889
              October 23, 2007
              5764 Posts
              Posted: September 12, 2015, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

Why would it be a real trick if they are in the game?

Crazy

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10392 Posts
                Posted: September 12, 2015, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

Where, oh where, do you think people in states that don't have a lottery are going to buy a ticket for your proposed lottery?

Bang Head Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #145267
                  August 1, 2013
                  1732 Posts
                  Posted: September 12, 2015, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

It would have been real easy just to state that they don't have a lottery!

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10392 Posts
                    Posted: September 12, 2015, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

It would have been real easy just to state that they don't have a lottery!

So you're proposing a national lottery not knowing that not all states have lotteries?

YEESH!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                      Member #145267
                      August 1, 2013
                      1732 Posts
                      Posted: September 12, 2015, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

I guess I'm not into the lottery like you are.  How's that lottery win treating you, oh wait, you didn't win a lottery.

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10392 Posts
                        Posted: September 12, 2015, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

Nice try, most tickets don't win.

But the 5 of 6 in the Cal. lottery when I loved in Nevada was a sweet $2002 for a $1 ticket, et vous?

You should really research things a little more before you propose stuff. Incredible that you're going to try and twist things and rag on me because you came up with such a ridiculous idea.

Maybe next time you'll arm yourself with some information before sharing your fantasy - or was it a hallucination?

Lep

United States
                          Member #145267
                          August 1, 2013
                          1732 Posts
                          Posted: September 12, 2015, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

You sound like a spoiled brat! I should have done my research before putting my proposal on lottery post.  That's funny.

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10392 Posts
                            Posted: September 13, 2015, 12:57 am - IP Logged

Oh I sound like a spoiled brat huh?

I guarantee you that most of the people who have been here a while read your OP and wondered if you didn't realize that not all states have a lottery.

News of the Weird has a category called Not Quite Clear On the Concept, perhaps you should contact them.

Lep

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                              Member #142499
                              May 13, 2013
                              1200 Posts
                              Posted: September 13, 2015, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

The ticket could be 2.00, and 1.00 could go to the state and 1.00 could go to the national game.  Yes, each state would have their own drawing to get 1 winner in each state.  Than the national drawing which hopefully will happen a lot more often than mm and pb, may-be right after all 50 states have their winners.  The dollar for the state game can be broken down into smaller amounts for second and third tier prizes.  But the big dollars would be the amount from the nation.

I think that every state can produce a winner,  it's all in how you set in up.

I guess my point is to get more people to play lottery and to have more winners/millionaires.  If people think something is fair, I think more people will play from every state.

Again, first you are playing against your own state, and than you are playing against the nation.  So, I think that it would not matter how many people are playing in one state for the national game.

I hope this makes sense.

Actually, no it doesn't. Because the same problem will exists. With this system, the only time everyone has an equal chance to win is at the national level. It matters a very great deal how many people are in each state, because if you make the odds small enough so that a person in a low population state is able to produce a winner, then the people in high population states will probably have multiple winners. While on paper the odds of winning on a state level will be the same across the board, the odds of actually producing a winner will be dependent on how many tickets are sold. 

Think about it. Every time a MUSL reaches a certain level (usually about the $500 million mark) you have a massive increase in ticket sales. The more tickets that get sold increase the odds of someone winning the jackpot because a higher number of the possible combinations get taken. 

It is impossible for a high number of combinations to get taken in a low density state. If every single adult in a state with 400,000 people were to purchase a ticket, the chances of anyone winning a ticket with the right combination is still much lower than a state where 40,000,000 tickets get sold. We would therefore have the exact same problem that we're having now, in that states with high tickets sales have better odds of winning. 

So unless you modify the odds per state or you allow for multiple draws in states with a small population, this isn't going to be any better than the system we have now

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.