Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 2:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Have you ever had a store clerk split the cost of an Instant?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 1 year ago by rgse90.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Detroit
United States
Member #161964
December 17, 2014
18 Posts
Posted: September 15, 2015, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Hey all, normally a lurker here (you all seem to have far more knowledge than I, so I can rarely contribute). Something happened to me today that has left me scratching my head.

As the subject asks: Have you ever had a store clerk split the cost (or offer to) on an instant ticket?

As of today, I have had it happen three times over the past couple years. The first time, I politely refused. The second time I did it and we each paid half the cost of the ticket. Both times, they were winning tickets, last on the roll (of course, in the latter case, we split the winnings).

Today was weird, though. As before, I was buying a $30 instant ticket. When he pulled it down, there were two left. He separated them and asked which I wanted. I couldn't tell which was the last one, so I told him to pick. After I paid for it, I decided to buy the other one, too.

Here's the weird part: he REFUSED to sell it to me, unless he and I split the cost. No lie, no exaggeration - he wasn't going to sell it. I agreed anyway, and paid half ($15). I scratched it and it turned out to be a $50 winner (yes, I verified). So, we split the winnings, $25 apiece.

I went home and scratched the first ticket (the one I bought alone), it was also a winner: $40. So, both of the last tickets were winners, and I still ended up ahead. No worries, all is good.

But the experience sat strangely with me. As I said, I have had this happen before, and each time they were winners (even if they were just breaking even). Now, I'm not trying to saying there's anything untoward going on, or some rigging or anything (maybe he just hasn't seen a winner and knew one was coming...?).

I go to the store somewhat regularly. But, as I said, he would not sell the instant to me unless I went in half. Something seems fishy about that, but I defer to the better knowledge of those here.

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #2448
    October 4, 2003
    26095 Posts
    Posted: September 15, 2015, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

You should turn him in to the MSL.

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
      Whiskey Island
      United States
      Member #90216
      April 24, 2010
      12808 Posts
      Posted: September 15, 2015, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

You should turn him in to the MSL.

I Agree!

Detroit
        United States
        Member #161964
        December 17, 2014
        18 Posts
        Posted: September 15, 2015, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering about that. (I have filed a complaint in the past for one store where I played an Easy Match draw and the clerk cashed in and gave me the reprint without ever letting me see the winning ticket. The MSL emailed me that they were going to have the clerk retrained. ::shrug::)

I mean, obviously, I could file the complaint that he wouldn't sell the ticket unless I split it (and he did pay half). Before I made this post, I asked a friend and he had never heard of a clerk going halfsies. That's mostly the bit I am stuck on.

In a way, I see it as a no-harm, no foul thing overall. Plus, I have had GREAT luck with instants at this place, so I'm not too keen on burning any bridges, either. I haven't had anything like this happen at this place before.

Michigan
          United States
          Member #2448
          October 4, 2003
          26095 Posts
          Posted: September 15, 2015, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

Chair

new jersey
            United States
            Member #150815
            December 31, 2013
            513 Posts
            Posted: September 15, 2015, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

never  agree  to  anothers   proposition  u  always  lose

Detroit
              United States
              Member #161964
              December 17, 2014
              18 Posts
              Posted: September 15, 2015, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Chair

Heh, I get what you're saying.

I suppose you're right; I should send an email to the MSL and let them know what happened.

But, the refusal guy today aside, is there a benefit to the clerk when it comes to splitting the cost (other than better odds for a higher priced ticket with a lower entry fee) that I'm not seeing?

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #74096
                May 2, 2009
                23233 Posts
                Posted: September 15, 2015, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

SOB should be fired and if he owns the store should have his ability to sell tickets

revoked.

The advantage of going halvsies is that the clerks - some of them - know and keep

track of what they sell. They anticipate a winner.

At the risk of sounding racist, I'm NOT - the Indian store owners/workers are the worst.

Best at what some of them do but the worst in the integrity department. They - some - 

are shrewd. Do not EVER turn over a ticket to cash in without first scanning it yourself.

This business of going half probably doesn't stop with you and if you are a regular there

I'm sure he's calculated your winnings and thought about asking before. The refusal to

sell the ticket to you is wrong...a retailer is there to sell tickets not bargain with the paying

public...ok he paid half and got what? $25? What if next time you get a thousand...or MORE -

winner? Would you feel good about him getting 1/2 of that?  What about taxes on such a win?

He's a rat and needs to be reported. Don't let the bozo's at HQ's push you around, keep asking

for a supervisor and get this guy what he deserves. He is WRONG.

010 122 963 824 684 584 0000 6837 4061 1207 2319 4901 1009 1347 1537

Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #2448
                  October 4, 2003
                  26095 Posts
                  Posted: September 15, 2015, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

SOB should be fired and if he owns the store should have his ability to sell tickets

revoked.

The advantage of going halvsies is that the clerks - some of them - know and keep

At the risk of sounding racist, I'm NOT - the Indian store owners/workers are the worst.

Best at what some of them do but the worst in the integrity department. They - some - 

are shrewd. Do not EVER turn over a ticket to cash in without first scanning it yourself.

This business of going half probably doesn't stop with you and if you are a regular there

I'm sure he's calculated your winnings and thought about asking before. The refusal to

sell the ticket to you is wrong...a retailer is there to sell tickets not bargain with the paying

public...ok he paid half and got what? $25? What if next time you get a thousand...or MORE -

winner? Would you feel good about him getting 1/2 of that?  What about taxes on such a win?

He's a rat and needs to be reported. Don't let the bozo's at HQ's push you around, keep asking

I Agree!I Agree!I Agree!

Detroit
                    United States
                    Member #161964
                    December 17, 2014
                    18 Posts
                    Posted: September 15, 2015, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

revoked.

You know...I hadn't thought about the taxes part. Good point...

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                      Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #74096
                      May 2, 2009
                      23233 Posts
                      Posted: September 15, 2015, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

You know...I hadn't thought about the taxes part. Good point...

Big Smile and good move coming here! You'll get lots of advice from different posters.

Gl!

EDIT - just one more thing, in no way are you in the wrong. You were pressured. I sometimes

get huffy and come on too strong. I just wanted you to know he is wrong....not you for

going along with it.

Thumbs Up

010 122 963 824 684 584 0000 6837 4061 1207 2319 4901 1009 1347 1537

grwurston's avatar - 144
                        Let's Go Rangers!!!
                        bel air maryland
                        United States
                        Member #90251
                        April 24, 2010
                        5116 Posts
                        Posted: September 15, 2015, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

You should report his ass ASAP. If you had turned around and walked out, chances are he would have tried the same thing with somebody else.
                        Bottom line, you came into his store to buy lottery tickets. The store already gets a cut of all tickets sold or cashed. As you said, he separated them and asked which one do you want? He knew something was up. He probably wanted to buy the ticket himself, and offered to split it with you in hopes you wouldn't say anything about him refusing to sell it. I wonder how many other times has he screwed other customers out of their winnings? Guaranteed you weren't the first.
                        His BS cost you half of your winnings.  I say, F him.  Report the SOB!!!

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

fast eddie's avatar - lasvegas2
                          Chicago,IL.
                          United States
                          Member #2902
                          November 29, 2003
                          1436 Posts
                          Posted: September 21, 2015, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about splitting a ticket or refusing to sell a ticket but I know clerks who will tell you things like the last five tickets were losers and steer you towards that ticket and hope you win and then tip them and I also know clerks who are allowed to play where they work and like to buy a ticket after someone buys a few in a row and there isn't a winner and I kind of think that was what happened to you.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

new york
                            United States
                            Member #63828
                            August 9, 2008
                            182 Posts
                            Posted: September 21, 2015, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Hey all, normally a lurker here (you all seem to have far more knowledge than I, so I can rarely contribute). Something happened to me today that has left me scratching my head.

As the subject asks: Have you ever had a store clerk split the cost (or offer to) on an instant ticket?

As of today, I have had it happen three times over the past couple years. The first time, I politely refused. The second time I did it and we each paid half the cost of the ticket. Both times, they were winning tickets, last on the roll (of course, in the latter case, we split the winnings).

Today was weird, though. As before, I was buying a $30 instant ticket. When he pulled it down, there were two left. He separated them and asked which I wanted. I couldn't tell which was the last one, so I told him to pick. After I paid for it, I decided to buy the other one, too.

Here's the weird part: he REFUSED to sell it to me, unless he and I split the cost. No lie, no exaggeration - he wasn't going to sell it. I agreed anyway, and paid half ($15). I scratched it and it turned out to be a $50 winner (yes, I verified). So, we split the winnings, $25 apiece.

I went home and scratched the first ticket (the one I bought alone), it was also a winner: $40. So, both of the last tickets were winners, and I still ended up ahead. No worries, all is good.

But the experience sat strangely with me. As I said, I have had this happen before, and each time they were winners (even if they were just breaking even). Now, I'm not trying to saying there's anything untoward going on, or some rigging or anything (maybe he just hasn't seen a winner and knew one was coming...?).

I go to the store somewhat regularly. But, as I said, he would not sell the instant to me unless I went in half. Something seems fishy about that, but I defer to the better knowledge of those here.

I've heard similar stories in NY about clerks not wanting to sell the remaining tickets (they'd promised to sell the tickets to someone else who probably gives them a kick-back in return).

If any store clerk offers to split the cost of a ticket, and especially if the store clerk refuses to sell a ticket, he or she should immediately be reported to the authorities.

Never make a deal with that person because he or she could have made other similar deals with other ticket-buyers and the chances of the clerk getting into trouble increase with every deal made.

You don't want to be associated with anyone who does business in that manner.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                              Mcminnville, Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #3013
                              December 13, 2003
                              3092 Posts
                              Posted: September 22, 2015, 12:28 am - IP Logged

I have never had a clerk ask to split a ticket cost with me but I have seen clerks play at their own store in sheridan, oregon years ago.  Which put me at a disadvantage as a scratch-its player because they would sit their on their shift and watch tickets all day or as long as their shift was.  Then they would buy tickets when it became in their favor I saw a clerk win $5000 on a $10 holiday themed scented scratch-it around christmas time.  I will never forget it because I was going to buy the ticket because back then I would buy more scratch-its then big money jackpot games.  I talked with the manager on it he did not mind if his employees played  the lotto in his store.  Back then the clerks were like what you would call ticket hawks they would ask you if you lost on certain tickets and then scratch the next one right there at the counter.  I gave in after a couple of months of watching them do that and just came in for the fried foods they made for the deli and powerball.  The store was lucky though he sold a $200,000 winner for powerball that year so I made it my powerball buying place.  Now that I live in mcminnville which is about 20 to 25 minutes from sheridan I just buy my big jackpot games locally at circle k.  Like I said that was 10 years ago and the store is still their but the owner is someone else.  So hopefully he doesn't let the clerks play.-weshar75

US Flag