Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:12 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Random Questions

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 1 year ago by DCTreybil.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Lincoln, California
United States
Member #167130
June 27, 2015
256 Posts
Posted: September 19, 2015, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

It has been stated many times there is NO connection between the random numbers generated for each lottery draw and the previous numbers drawn.  Still, I and many or you are trying to find formulas or combinations of the previous draws to predict the next draw. 

I am using Excel to test formulas and combinations for Pick 3, 4 and 5 games.  The workbook allows me  to 1: Create formula sets quickly (ex: adding the previous number in Number Column N1 to the previous number in the Number Column M3 (mirror of N3) and track how the formulas have hit over a previous number of games (usually 5,10,20,50, and 200).  Duplicating formulas sets that contain formulas using the INDIRECT  Function lets me change the Number Column and the games back in the Number Column.  An seemingly endless number of formulas can be viewed side by side.  The goal is to find a group of formulas (say 5 for a Pick 3 Game) that show a series of hit percentages (trends) that suggest the formula is due to hit. The only "rule" that I have discovered is that if a formula hits over 60% in the last 5 Games it is unlikely to hit in the next game.

My sense was that the Games that uses balls were more random than a Game using a Random Number Generator.  I say that because I couldn't help but think that formulas are a part of the Random Number Generator's Program (Algorithm).  It is obvious that Ball Games do not use formulas.  Ball selection is based only on Physics. 

So here are my Questions.

What is or can be known about the Random Number Generator used by each Lottery?                                 For Example: California.  The Web page says that 2 totally isolated computers are used to generate numbers.  I was told by a very computer savvy friend that the algorithm is based on Random Moments in time from a Clock that measures to as many as 20 decimal points.  If true there is a total break between past numbers and future draws.  How many Lottery's use a clock?

How many Random Number Algorithms are in use in Lottery Games?                                                            I am guessing that each State uses a different algorithm.

What is known about the Random Number Generator Function found in Excel?                                              Using the formula =Randbetween(0,9) in 3 or 4 contiguous cells produces a set of new numbers that changes when the worksheet is re-calculated.  Is there any connection or commonality between Excel's function and The Lottery's Random Number Generator?  I doubt there is.

The =now() in Excel measures time to 10 decimal points.                                                                                     Has anyone tried to use this function to predict Future Draws?                                                                      I set up a block of Cells with the Randbetween function and included a time stamp to 10 decimal points.  I recalculate the worksheet then past the values created on another worksheet.  I looked for a connection between the random numbers and the time stamp and have not found one.  Has anyone tried this approach?

Krypton
    United States
    Member #140102
    March 11, 2013
    904 Posts
    Posted: September 19, 2015, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

All lotteries start their draws using what's called the Atomic  clock   Without going into a lot f details you have exactly 1 minute to daw between when the 1s draw hits in Cali until the last if the draws hit in Flo   I don't okay the pick 3/4 much anymore but worked with this guy on how one can win between $40 and up on a continuous basis but you have to camp out at the counter before it draws and on a computer   You have less than a minute. This guy pinned the numbers about 80% of the time done times 100% on a 9 day run. Now, I never said straights.  He did the pick 3 and 4 and explained how yo troll which pairs WOULD  fall.   I would have my slips filled out ahead of time he best I could with all 1-2-3-4-5 .... On slips 

as as far as excel and the LC  I doubt it   What I can tell you is there are definite patterns and excel will help you find them with the right coding.   I personally don't believe anything is random in life   Food for thought .... If the pick 3 was random then ( I'm guessing here ) 80% of the time when a 0 was drawn a 0-3-6 would not follow or the same number   There are too many similarities I've seen to convince ME any other way

Good luck!

Stay In The Vortex, you'll be happy you did ..... Random? Seriously? You want me to believe that?

United States
      Member #35335
      March 16, 2006
      116 Posts
      Posted: September 20, 2015, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

I don't predict random numbers but I do have a system that favors cold numbers.  That's all I've got.

Lincoln, California
        United States
        Member #167130
        June 27, 2015
        256 Posts
        Posted: September 20, 2015, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

All lotteries start their draws using what's called the Atomic  clock   Without going into a lot f details you have exactly 1 minute to daw between when the 1s draw hits in Cali until the last if the draws hit in Flo   I don't okay the pick 3/4 much anymore but worked with this guy on how one can win between $40 and up on a continuous basis but you have to camp out at the counter before it draws and on a computer   You have less than a minute. This guy pinned the numbers about 80% of the time done times 100% on a 9 day run. Now, I never said straights.  He did the pick 3 and 4 and explained how yo troll which pairs WOULD  fall.   I would have my slips filled out ahead of time he best I could with all 1-2-3-4-5 .... On slips 

as as far as excel and the LC  I doubt it   What I can tell you is there are definite patterns and excel will help you find them with the right coding.   I personally don't believe anything is random in life   Food for thought .... If the pick 3 was random then ( I'm guessing here ) 80% of the time when a 0 was drawn a 0-3-6 would not follow or the same number   There are too many similarities I've seen to convince ME any other way

Good luck!

This brings up an interesting prospect; however the "guy's" claim you refer to would require that  he new to the minute when the Draw happened.  Any Idea how he figured that out? Also what did he use to pick numbers at this exact time?  Quick Picks?

I also do not believe that the Random Number Generator is totally random.  Using time in the formulas is an interesting idea.  One thing we know about stopping a clock is that the value is going up.  Makes me wonder___.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
          Economy class
          Belgium
          Member #123700
          February 27, 2012
          4035 Posts
          Posted: September 21, 2015, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

Excel according to documentation. I have seen another explanation using three rests.

The first random number:

random_number=fractional part of (9821 * r + 0.211327),   where r = .5              

Successive random numbers:

random_number=fractional part of (9821 * r + 0.211327),   where r = the previous random number
            Krypton
            United States
            Member #140102
            March 11, 2013
            904 Posts
            Posted: September 21, 2015, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

This brings up an interesting prospect; however the "guy's" claim you refer to would require that  he new to the minute when the Draw happened.  Any Idea how he figured that out? Also what did he use to pick numbers at this exact time?  Quick Picks?

I also do not believe that the Random Number Generator is totally random.  Using time in the formulas is an interesting idea.  One thing we know about stopping a clock is that the value is going up.  Makes me wonder___.

He would watch the atomic clock tick tock tick tock and had a list of pairs and depending upon what fell in I think 3 of those states he was able to slam Florida   I think it was Cali , Chi, NY, ATL, Tri State and Florida

Stay In The Vortex, you'll be happy you did ..... Random? Seriously? You want me to believe that?

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
              Dallas, Texas
              United States
              Member #4549
              May 2, 2004
              1838 Posts
              Posted: September 22, 2015, 5:24 am - IP Logged

He would watch the atomic clock tick tock tick tock and had a list of pairs and depending upon what fell in I think 3 of those states he was able to slam Florida   I think it was Cali , Chi, NY, ATL, Tri State and Florida

Start with wiki about RNGs. It will give you some idea on the different methods of generating random numbers.

Using the computer timer to seed a generator is likely the oldest method. It will eventually repeat. 

Your buddy being able to predict the number sounds like a magician's trick.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

Krypton
                United States
                Member #140102
                March 11, 2013
                904 Posts
                Posted: September 22, 2015, 7:02 am - IP Logged

Start with wiki about RNGs. It will give you some idea on the different methods of generating random numbers.

Using the computer timer to seed a generator is likely the oldest method. It will eventually repeat. 

Your buddy being able to predict the number sounds like a magician's trick.

Yeah he was out there G. He's a board member or was at one point   He plays on line and lives in the Bahamas.  We ran into him on vacation   He may have had way too many island ritual dances but did win a lot

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                  Economy class
                  Belgium
                  Member #123700
                  February 27, 2012
                  4035 Posts
                  Posted: September 22, 2015, 11:29 am - IP Logged

I looked again into random functions and have now more choices in Excel. Eventually using C# or VB, you get more out of it, unless the same library is used.

str8ca$hhomie's avatar - Cash

United States
                    Member #146028
                    August 22, 2013
                    851 Posts
                    Posted: September 23, 2015, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Good luck!

RE: You have less than a minute !

Is it possible to change the algorithm (outcome) of the winning lottery numbers within a one (1) minute time frame ??? If so, perhaps your co-worker found a way to lock-in his chosen numbers without the fear of diversion.

Sometimes it's extremely difficult if not practically impossible to get people to disregard the smoke and mirrors.  Instead, they seem to enjoy the ride down the proverbial Garden Path....... helpless to extricate themselves from being totally deceived by known forces in their midst who would argue that they have come here for the sole purpose of helping people.......str8ca$hhomie

Lincoln, California
                      United States
                      Member #167130
                      June 27, 2015
                      256 Posts
                      Posted: September 23, 2015, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

Brings up another Question.  Florida and many other States have Midday and Evening Draws.  Texas and Oregon have Morning, Day, Evening and Night Draws.  Are the numbers generated between Draws?  If so in narrows the clock window so I might not have to stay up all night to be on time.

United States
                        Member #116344
                        September 8, 2011
                        3941 Posts
                        Posted: September 26, 2015, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

It has been stated many times there is NO connection between the random numbers generated for each lottery draw and the previous numbers drawn.  Still, I and many or you are trying to find formulas or combinations of the previous draws to predict the next draw. 

I am using Excel to test formulas and combinations for Pick 3, 4 and 5 games.  The workbook allows me  to 1: Create formula sets quickly (ex: adding the previous number in Number Column N1 to the previous number in the Number Column M3 (mirror of N3) and track how the formulas have hit over a previous number of games (usually 5,10,20,50, and 200).  Duplicating formulas sets that contain formulas using the INDIRECT  Function lets me change the Number Column and the games back in the Number Column.  An seemingly endless number of formulas can be viewed side by side.  The goal is to find a group of formulas (say 5 for a Pick 3 Game) that show a series of hit percentages (trends) that suggest the formula is due to hit. The only "rule" that I have discovered is that if a formula hits over 60% in the last 5 Games it is unlikely to hit in the next game.

My sense was that the Games that uses balls were more random than a Game using a Random Number Generator.  I say that because I couldn't help but think that formulas are a part of the Random Number Generator's Program (Algorithm).  It is obvious that Ball Games do not use formulas.  Ball selection is based only on Physics. 

So here are my Questions.

What is or can be known about the Random Number Generator used by each Lottery?                                 For Example: California.  The Web page says that 2 totally isolated computers are used to generate numbers.  I was told by a very computer savvy friend that the algorithm is based on Random Moments in time from a Clock that measures to as many as 20 decimal points.  If true there is a total break between past numbers and future draws.  How many Lottery's use a clock?

How many Random Number Algorithms are in use in Lottery Games?                                                            I am guessing that each State uses a different algorithm.

What is known about the Random Number Generator Function found in Excel?                                              Using the formula =Randbetween(0,9) in 3 or 4 contiguous cells produces a set of new numbers that changes when the worksheet is re-calculated.  Is there any connection or commonality between Excel's function and The Lottery's Random Number Generator?  I doubt there is.

The =now() in Excel measures time to 10 decimal points.                                                                                     Has anyone tried to use this function to predict Future Draws?                                                                      I set up a block of Cells with the Randbetween function and included a time stamp to 10 decimal points.  I recalculate the worksheet then past the values created on another worksheet.  I looked for a connection between the random numbers and the time stamp and have not found one.  Has anyone tried this approach?

Random or not, is best to focus on binomial concept, the matrix of all games(probabilities,odds etc are guarding tools , not for predictions) then the PRIZE structure of selected game.Take Pick 3 for example, the format is 10P3  for 1000 lines, to win a straight you have to wage $1000, which is a rip off, based on the prize structure. What if you can reduce 1000 lines to 100 for EXACT bet within 5 draws? You spend $500(A dollar /pick , it could be less) for potential multiple hits or recover your cost at the end of span. The key is to locate the NEXT POSITION 1 DIGIT within the next five draws, with this approach, probability becomes less a factor, random or not becomes irrelevant-This approach comes with a cost, but your prize is considerably high.

Find the next pos 1 digit by focusing on current draw, example draw 695 has 6 as lead. You focus on the behavior of 6 using the tools or concept at your disposal(regression, recurrence by summation, interval points for variables  etc) to locate the next digit.

Good Luck

Krypton
                          United States
                          Member #140102
                          March 11, 2013
                          904 Posts
                          Posted: September 27, 2015, 8:18 am - IP Logged

Brings up another Question.  Florida and many other States have Midday and Evening Draws.  Texas and Oregon have Morning, Day, Evening and Night Draws.  Are the numbers generated between Draws?  If so in narrows the clock window so I might not have to stay up all night to be on time.

I really have no clue. I live in Texas USA.  He lives in Bahamas   When he sends a text with pairs he copies several folks.  I've not paid attention to where they live   One could only assume he first do this a lone. Then again I've no clue how to answer. Sry and I don't really follow Pick 3/4 too often

Lincoln, California
                            United States
                            Member #167130
                            June 27, 2015
                            256 Posts
                            Posted: October 17, 2015, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

Random or not, is best to focus on binomial concept, the matrix of all games(probabilities,odds etc are guarding tools , not for predictions) then the PRIZE structure of selected game.Take Pick 3 for example, the format is 10P3  for 1000 lines, to win a straight you have to wage $1000, which is a rip off, based on the prize structure. What if you can reduce 1000 lines to 100 for EXACT bet within 5 draws? You spend $500(A dollar /pick , it could be less) for potential multiple hits or recover your cost at the end of span. The key is to locate the NEXT POSITION 1 DIGIT within the next five draws, with this approach, probability becomes less a factor, random or not becomes irrelevant-This approach comes with a cost, but your prize is considerably high.

Find the next pos 1 digit by focusing on current draw, example draw 695 has 6 as lead. You focus on the behavior of 6 using the tools or concept at your disposal(regression, recurrence by summation, interval points for variables  etc) to locate the next digit.

Good Luck

Sorry I did not respond to this before.  I took a turn to Strings and have been there for a few weeks.  I hear you about the prizes.  I will look for a connection between Strings and NEXT POSITION 1 DIgit.

Thanks for the Idea

DCTreybil's avatar - actuarial I_w_caption_II_sized.jpg

United States
                              Member #169613
                              October 24, 2015
                              11 Posts
                              Posted: October 25, 2015, 8:52 am - IP Logged

I don't predict random numbers but I do have a system that favors cold numbers.  That's all I've got.

Concerning hot/cold numbers:

I have a simulator that relates to this idea.

The simulator sets up a series of 10,000,000 flags based on odds.

For example, if odds of 2 : 1 are used, 5,000,000 flags are set in random positions.

Then I count the number of consecutive flags set starting at each of the 10,000,000 positions.

I tried pasting the output here, but it becomes unreadable.

Upshot is, you get 0 hits in a row 5,000,000 times.  This is because 5,000,000 flags do not get set.  This is exactly 1/2.

In this run of the simulator  1 hit in a row 2,500,114 occurs times.  Notice this does not come out exactly even.  Random simulations "shimmer" around ideal results.  They are close, but seldom exact.  This is very close to 1/4th.

In this run of the simulator 2 hits in a row 1,249,741 occur times.  Again, not exactly even, but it comes out very close to 1/8th.

Last but not least, in this run of the simulator, 3 hits in a row occur  625,099 times.  This is very close to 1/16th.

Consider the ratios just mentioned -  1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 - What are they?  The denominators are all powers of 2.  And 2 : 1 was the odds used.

I bet if I ran the simulator with odds of 3 : 1, the fractions would likely be 1/3, 1/9, 1/27, and 1/81.

So, concerning hot and cold numbers - Sequential occurrences of events happen less frequently as the number of sequential occurrences increases.  If hot numbers were more likely to happen, what would keep hot numbers from becoming the only numbers that ever happen?  And what would ensure that cold numbers did not stop happening?

As I contemplate the results of this simulator, I have to come down on the side that says current results do not depend on previous results.