Welcome Guest
You last visited September 20, 2017, 9:14 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anybody Playing El Gordo This Year ?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Crazy Wombat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #161539
December 3, 2014
328 Posts
Posted: September 25, 2015, 8:47 am - IP Logged

I don't know if tickets are still on sale for the December drawing ... had hopes there would be an El Gordo game in the US or North America for 2015.

Another year wasted ... one big drawing in Dec ... what kind of a jackpot could that be with tickets being sold all year?

The only thing close ... in my mind ... for a "mini El Gordo" in the US is the PA Raffle going off four times a year.

It's not even close, but it's all there is for now ! ... a low number of tickets being sold and eight top prizes.

An El Gordo type game being run by the Federal Government could have tax free winnings. Tickets being sold at all Post Offices for $10 ... all year long for a big drawing in December.

The Feds would get their tax money up front and the prizes would be "tax free" ... for a $10 ticket, $5 would go to taxes and $5 would be prize money in the pot.

Would help pay off the debt ... but probably not for long, they would just spend and waste more money ... but players would have a "tax free" game.

Just to add, the $5 for taxes is like a 50% tax rate but that should also be able to compensate the various states that tax lottery winnings. It truly could be "tax free" ... or just being a Federal Program (Game), it could be completely free from state and local taxes.

CW

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
    LAS VEGAS
    United States
    Member #47729
    November 22, 2006
    4994 Posts
    Posted: September 27, 2015, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if tickets are still on sale for the December drawing ... had hopes there would be an El Gordo game in the US or North America for 2015.

Another year wasted ... one big drawing in Dec ... what kind of a jackpot could that be with tickets being sold all year?

The only thing close ... in my mind ... for a "mini El Gordo" in the US is the PA Raffle going off four times a year.

It's not even close, but it's all there is for now ! ... a low number of tickets being sold and eight top prizes.

An El Gordo type game being run by the Federal Government could have tax free winnings. Tickets being sold at all Post Offices for $10 ... all year long for a big drawing in December.

The Feds would get their tax money up front and the prizes would be "tax free" ... for a $10 ticket, $5 would go to taxes and $5 would be prize money in the pot.

Would help pay off the debt ... but probably not for long, they would just spend and waste more money ... but players would have a "tax free" game.

Just to add, the $5 for taxes is like a 50% tax rate but that should also be able to compensate the various states that tax lottery winnings. It truly could be "tax free" ... or just being a Federal Program (Game), it could be completely free from state and local taxes.

CW

I Agree!

A most productive idea, based on actual working model would produce increased player beneficiaries

Eddessa_Knight  Sun Smiley

Bondi Junction
      Australia
      Member #57242
      December 24, 2007
      1102 Posts
      Posted: October 1, 2015, 7:18 am - IP Logged

CW

US state lotteries should establish a special Christmas lottery, like the Spanish  El Gordo ("the big one"), it could be called The Big One. It would be very popular raising additional revenue for the states.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        20128 Posts
        Posted: October 1, 2015, 8:46 am - IP Logged

US state lotteries should establish a special Christmas lottery, like the Spanish  El Gordo ("the big one"), it could be called The Big One. It would be very popular raising additional revenue for the states.

Most state already have an annual raffle around that time every year.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning one * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #161539
          December 3, 2014
          328 Posts
          Posted: October 1, 2015, 11:54 am - IP Logged

I figure the states have plenty of games already ... my idea was a "huge tax free jackpot" with tickets sold all year ... run by the Federal government ... no state lottery terminals involved.

A drawing in December ...  tickets with a reasonable price ... the government getting their tax money up front ... buying tickets at any Post Office ... can't be any more simple or easier ... it's all in my first post.

People that have to have action on a daily or monthly basis would play the state lotteries ...  people that can just buy a ticket or a few tickets and wait for a huge jackpot in December, that could be their game.

I would probably buy a ticket or two every month and still play a few state games ... such as a raffle game.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
            United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            4057 Posts
            Posted: October 1, 2015, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

I figure the states have plenty of games already ... my idea was a "huge tax free jackpot" with tickets sold all year ... run by the Federal government ... no state lottery terminals involved.

A drawing in December ...  tickets with a reasonable price ... the government getting their tax money up front ... buying tickets at any Post Office ... can't be any more simple or easier ... it's all in my first post.

People that have to have action on a daily or monthly basis would play the state lotteries ...  people that can just buy a ticket or a few tickets and wait for a huge jackpot in December, that could be their game.

I would probably buy a ticket or two every month and still play a few state games ... such as a raffle game.

I like your idea and would likely play, buy it will never happen.

If you had a business and I got 40% off the top for doing absolutely nothing

and adding no value to it, why would I compete w/you ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Bondi Junction
              Australia
              Member #57242
              December 24, 2007
              1102 Posts
              Posted: October 1, 2015, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

The US Treasury should, like the UK Treasury, introduce Premium Bonds, which are a cross between an investment and a lottery. They would be very popular and raise billions for the US Treasury, which they have in the UK.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

United States
                Member #161539
                December 3, 2014
                328 Posts
                Posted: October 1, 2015, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

The US Treasury should, like the UK Treasury, introduce Premium Bonds, which are a cross between an investment and a lottery. They would be very popular and raise billions for the US Treasury, which they have in the UK.

I'm not having much luck getting the right thoughts across ... I will explain, first ... I am not interested in the Federal government making any money on this idea ... I'm only interested in players having a chance at winning a large tax free jackpot. I'm thinking with tickets on sale all year ... the jackpot could be enormous.

I'm not interested in bonds or any kind of securities ... I'm interested in a game like El Gordo as was mentioned in my first post.

I could care less if the Feds get any money ... but of course they will since they collect taxes on everything.

So half of the $10 ticket price goes to the Feds, just to make them happy ... so if the Feds are happy then the players get a tax free jackpot at the end of the year.

No stocks, bonds involved ... just a good old El Gordo type game.

I'm not out to raise any money for the government but of course that will happen ... just one nice tax free jackpot in December with many happy winners.

If it would be exactly like El Gordo or something close, I don't know ... someone else would make that decision or put everything together.

People that need to gamble everyday or every few hours will still have the state lotteries for a daily fix ... people that gamble every so often or like large jackpots and can wait it out will have the El Gordo type game once a year.

Well it was just an idea ... the Federal government has run lotteries and raffles before ... even before the country was formed.

President George Washington Autographed Lottery Ticket

Description

This partially-printed page measures 2 7/8" x 1 3/8" and is in fine condition, with some light staining to the top and lower borders. The 1768 Mountain Road lottery ticket reads:

1768. This Ticket [No. 173] shall entitle the Possessor to whatever Prize may happen to be drawn against it's [sic] Number in the Mountain Road Lottery

The document is signed in brown/black ink, Go. Washington. Washington's autograph is particularly fine and demonstrates his flourishing, expressive penmanship. A fine filigree-style border design surrounds the text. Its intricate nature was possibly an attempt to avoid forgeries.

History

In 1768, a lottery was organised to fund road works in the area of Mountain Road. Improvements were needed in order to access the hot springs of Bath County, reputed to have healing properties. Washington acted as manager of the lottery. His signature on the tickets added credibility to the venture.

However, the lottery was never completed, as the British banned all lotteries just as tickets were selling. Perhaps this is the very point at which Washington's dislike of British rule began. 

.... there have been other lotteries and raffles connected with the government.

CW

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
                  LAS VEGAS
                  United States
                  Member #47729
                  November 22, 2006
                  4994 Posts
                  Posted: October 2, 2015, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

I'm not having much luck getting the right thoughts across ... I will explain, first ... I am not interested in the Federal government making any money on this idea ... I'm only interested in players having a chance at winning a large tax free jackpot. I'm thinking with tickets on sale all year ... the jackpot could be enormous.

I'm not interested in bonds or any kind of securities ... I'm interested in a game like El Gordo as was mentioned in my first post.

I could care less if the Feds get any money ... but of course they will since they collect taxes on everything.

So half of the $10 ticket price goes to the Feds, just to make them happy ... so if the Feds are happy then the players get a tax free jackpot at the end of the year.

No stocks, bonds involved ... just a good old El Gordo type game.

I'm not out to raise any money for the government but of course that will happen ... just one nice tax free jackpot in December with many happy winners.

If it would be exactly like El Gordo or something close, I don't know ... someone else would make that decision or put everything together.

People that need to gamble everyday or every few hours will still have the state lotteries for a daily fix ... people that gamble every so often or like large jackpots and can wait it out will have the El Gordo type game once a year.

Well it was just an idea ... the Federal government has run lotteries and raffles before ... even before the country was formed.

President George Washington Autographed Lottery Ticket

Description

This partially-printed page measures 2 7/8" x 1 3/8" and is in fine condition, with some light staining to the top and lower borders. The 1768 Mountain Road lottery ticket reads:

1768. This Ticket [No. 173] shall entitle the Possessor to whatever Prize may happen to be drawn against it's [sic] Number in the Mountain Road Lottery

The document is signed in brown/black ink, Go. Washington. Washington's autograph is particularly fine and demonstrates his flourishing, expressive penmanship. A fine filigree-style border design surrounds the text. Its intricate nature was possibly an attempt to avoid forgeries.

History

In 1768, a lottery was organised to fund road works in the area of Mountain Road. Improvements were needed in order to access the hot springs of Bath County, reputed to have healing properties. Washington acted as manager of the lottery. His signature on the tickets added credibility to the venture.

However, the lottery was never completed, as the British banned all lotteries just as tickets were selling. Perhaps this is the very point at which Washington's dislike of British rule began. 

.... there have been other lotteries and raffles connected with the government.

CW

El Gordo-

Very simple, more  smaller player payouts will generate higher sales & more revenues - just check out El Gordo's continuing rate of success & popularity!

Like sunshine, just spread it around Sun Smiley

Good Weekend Wishes

Eddessa_Knight

United States
                    Member #161539
                    December 3, 2014
                    328 Posts
                    Posted: October 3, 2015, 7:24 am - IP Logged

El Gordo-

Very simple, more  smaller player payouts will generate higher sales & more revenues - just check out El Gordo's continuing rate of success & popularity!

Like sunshine, just spread it around Sun Smiley

Good Weekend Wishes

Eddessa_Knight

Yes I wanted to make that more clear from my earlier posts ... there would be one enormous jackpot (hopefully) by the end of the year but that would be broken down into many nice large jackpots for many winners.

Maybe many $1 million dollar prizes ... many $500,000 prizes ... and so forth or just give as many $1 million dollar prizes as possible ... maybe 20, 40 or more ... have no idea how large the jackpot could be over 10 or 12 months of selling tickets.

Spread the money around for many winners to win some nice money prizes and of course the $1 million dollar prize would be a "true" million dollar prize ... no taxes.

CW

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3329 Posts
                      Posted: October 3, 2015, 7:35 am - IP Logged

I think any nation would  have aboost to moral   with a once a year national draw. with a generous spread of prize levels. el gordo tickets do seem rather  expensive. but their sharing anture  of the design means when a set wins a lot of people are happy. I would like it here. and at least  buy a few entries over the year

" Still swinging, still missing "
                      2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596: JAN= -

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318: JAN= -39

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #129225
                        June 13, 2012
                        558 Posts
                        Posted: October 3, 2015, 7:49 am - IP Logged

I do like the concept of the El Gordo I love a large lottery drawn once a year at Christmas with lots and lots of prizes.  However, I do not think it is the business of the Federal Government to run this lottery I think it should be done by the existing lotteries in the states that currently allow lotteries.  I also don't feel that a tax of $5 per ticket makes it a "tax free" lottery.  I abhor paying tax when I purchase a lottery ticket so the "winner" can benefit tax free.  Make it $10 per ticket but put all the proceeds in the pot.  The winner can pay his/her own taxes when they are lucky enough to win.

United States
                          Member #161539
                          December 3, 2014
                          328 Posts
                          Posted: October 3, 2015, 10:09 am - IP Logged

I think any nation would  have aboost to moral   with a once a year national draw. with a generous spread of prize levels. el gordo tickets do seem rather  expensive. but their sharing anture  of the design means when a set wins a lot of people are happy. I would like it here. and at least  buy a few entries over the year

SG ... I do agree with you that El Gordo tickets seem to be expensive ... but then people buy shares and maybe shares of shares ... not 100% sure.

I priced some tickets a few years back through a lottery agent but didn't buy any. I do not fully understand the whole game and buying ticket shares.

Looks like Europe or Spain has some fun once a year playing the game and some people or a town get very lucky ... except for the few people or one person who decided not to play.

CW