Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch offs 101...

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 1 year ago by abjorik.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
Member #165244
March 30, 2015
227 Posts
Posted: September 27, 2015, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

I bought four $10 Frenzy tickets on Friday.  And after scratching tirelessly hopelessly and just not paying attention, I counted them all losers.  Well I knew there was a reason to always check your tickets at least twice.  Come to find out the last ticket was a $30 winner.

I cant imagine what it would have been like to just throw that ticket away.  Not that I would have known it was a winner.  I mean after scratching 3 other tickets when you have 20 chances to win on each, all those numbers...Dead

So major reminder for me to double check tickets.  Wonder how many this has happened to...

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

nerdycharlie's avatar - vw8o
    I'm a FEMALE :)
    United States
    Member #152689
    February 22, 2014
    1979 Posts
    Posted: September 28, 2015, 1:21 am - IP Logged

This has happened to me too, lol. If it wasn't for the second chance drawings I never would have went back into my shoe box full of losing scratch offs to find a $40 winner, lol.

Follow Trends & Patterns

823 111 605 815 228 128 724 908

1128 1990 1190 0823 2011 1228 0815

New York
      United States
      Member #157288
      July 14, 2014
      170 Posts
      Posted: September 28, 2015, 7:29 am - IP Logged

Happens to me all the time, it's the reason I favor scratch offs that can be scanned and why I have wads of losing tickets that I save to eventually go over. Two weeks ago I found two winners that I thought were losers.

United States
        Member #161539
        December 3, 2014
        328 Posts
        Posted: September 28, 2015, 8:03 am - IP Logged

I posted about this earlier ... in July I pulled some played scratch offs out of the trash at a drug store ... maybe $200 or $300 worth from the same person ... this person never scrapes the code box off to double check the ticket ... he just scrapes the numbers, checks everything with his eyes and throws the ticket away, unless it's a winner of course.

In that bunch of "throw away" tickets were maybe 12 - $30 tickets and lot of $20 tickets. I scraped the code boxes off and one $30 ticket was a $40 winner. So many numbers on the ticket ... even I didn't see the winning number till I scanned it.

Makes you wonder how much money is thrown away everyday ... tickets taken to a trash/garbage dump, never to be cashed.

Also, in PA ... a person has a year to cash a ticket ... other states are only 6 months and maybe 3 months to discover a winner.

All lotteries should be one year to claim a prize.

CW

New York
          United States
          Member #157288
          July 14, 2014
          170 Posts
          Posted: September 28, 2015, 9:59 am - IP Logged

There was a story earlier this year (or maybe late last) in Long Island where a guy picked up a Win $1,000 a week for life ticket someone had thrown away. Turned out to be a jackpot winner.

Eastern PA
            United States
            Member #165668
            April 17, 2015
            261 Posts
            Posted: September 28, 2015, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

I always double check my tickets, last year when I started the scratch off thing, I played the $3 game alot Winning Combo and in my loosing pile was $100 winner. I always scan the $3 games in PA cause its real easy to miss a number or two.

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
              Member #165244
              March 30, 2015
              227 Posts
              Posted: September 28, 2015, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

I posted about this earlier ... in July I pulled some played scratch offs out of the trash at a drug store ... maybe $200 or $300 worth from the same person ... this person never scrapes the code box off to double check the ticket ... he just scrapes the numbers, checks everything with his eyes and throws the ticket away, unless it's a winner of course.

In that bunch of "throw away" tickets were maybe 12 - $30 tickets and lot of $20 tickets. I scraped the code boxes off and one $30 ticket was a $40 winner. So many numbers on the ticket ... even I didn't see the winning number till I scanned it.

Makes you wonder how much money is thrown away everyday ... tickets taken to a trash/garbage dump, never to be cashed.

Also, in PA ... a person has a year to cash a ticket ... other states are only 6 months and maybe 3 months to discover a winner.

All lotteries should be one year to claim a prize.

CW

OMG...I would love to find some scratch offs that were tossed that happen to be winners...Though not sure if it is ok to go through tossed out lottery tickets..

Glad it isnt just me about to toss a winning ticket...

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

NY
                United States
                Member #167035
                June 22, 2015
                1340 Posts
                Posted: September 28, 2015, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

yes i go through the trash sometimes yet most people seem to be smart about scanning their tickets now

i always scan my tickets but sometimes i forget to scan the $1 and $2 ones

Cape Coral Florida
                  United States
                  Member #138938
                  February 10, 2013
                  64 Posts
                  Posted: September 29, 2015, 9:46 am - IP Logged

if you go to the florida post now skeptic posted the 5000 dollar winner that he threw away and found it not thinking it was a winner.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                    Lavender Rocket

United States
                    Member #124616
                    March 16, 2012
                    2642 Posts
                    Posted: September 29, 2015, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

I just -restarted buying scratch offs so this is a great post to get me in the habit of double-checking AND scanning my tickets! 

Thanks!

ozone park
                      United States
                      Member #57042
                      December 15, 2007
                      274 Posts
                      Posted: October 5, 2015, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

This si very very true. We play the 30 dollar scratch off card. This card was printed before the scanner codes were put on the cards to be able to check yourselves with the scanners. So we scratch a lot and your eyes begin to play tricks pn you and you sometimes do not see the numbers correctly and you do miss winning tickets. We had a pile of losing tickets and i told my partner tog o and recheck them before I put them in a box of discarded tickets and put them away. Well he came home one morning and yes not only did we miss a number but the ticket is worth 50 thousand so yes recheck and recheck and recheck never assume.

New York
                        United States
                        Member #156870
                        July 2, 2014
                        80 Posts
                        Posted: October 5, 2015, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

This si very very true. We play the 30 dollar scratch off card. This card was printed before the scanner codes were put on the cards to be able to check yourselves with the scanners. So we scratch a lot and your eyes begin to play tricks pn you and you sometimes do not see the numbers correctly and you do miss winning tickets. We had a pile of losing tickets and i told my partner tog o and recheck them before I put them in a box of discarded tickets and put them away. Well he came home one morning and yes not only did we miss a number but the ticket is worth 50 thousand so yes recheck and recheck and recheck never assume.

How did you recheck $30 sctatch off when a retailer told me he can't check it as it doest ot have a barcode?