Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 3:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won either the MM/PB: Would you tell your friends, especially close ones?

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 1 year ago by JackpotWanna.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7344 Posts
Posted: October 7, 2015, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

Yeah LL- l purposely left out the amount " Won" because l think it would be up to each individual to take measure of the situation and see whether they would want to do it or not. The other thing is how many of these folk can be counted as " True Friends?"
..therein lies the rub.

The amount is irrelevant when someone says they need to win over $10 million to give their best friends a vacation costing a few thousand because they don't understand your question.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3316 Posts
    Posted: October 8, 2015, 2:49 am - IP Logged

But i also think when im seen driving around in either  a Porsche Panamera or Cayman . I will have more new friends than i could ever want. or need.  People i like will get invites to my house, the ones that i dont will invite themselves

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
      Member #169277
      October 10, 2015
      630 Posts
      Posted: October 10, 2015, 11:43 am - IP Logged

I don't think I'd be able to hide any significant win.  Unless I broke off contact and moved out of state. But I don't know why I'd want to do that.  When I dream of winning, my friends are included in the dream. A few close friends that is, not everyone I know.  Not planning any big vacations, but new cars and paid-off mortgages.

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
        Oregon
        United States
        Member #168137
        August 17, 2015
        125 Posts
        Posted: October 16, 2015, 1:27 am - IP Logged

I only have a handful of close friends, and they have been around me at my lowest and my "pre-lottery" best. It'd be awfully hard to hide from them the change in lifestyle. The first time I showed up to go horseback riding and I had a new truck and trailer, and my horse has fresh shoes, they will be awfully suspicious and know I've stumbled onto a financial boost.

That being said, I have SO few people in my life that any influx in encounters and conversations with anyone else I know, would be pretty blatantly obvious that it was due to winning, and that'd be an easy situation to deflect.

I wouldn't tell anyone right away, though. 

I think it'd be pretty easy to hide it for a handful of months until things settled down, and situated.

But at some point, we have to have a BBQ, and our friends are going to noticed the upgrade from a studio to a 3.8million dollar horse ranch!

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
          Member #142499
          May 13, 2013
          1200 Posts
          Posted: October 16, 2015, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

If you did, would you also take them on an " all expenses paid " trip to Europe for good measure? We talking friends who have been with you through thick and thin.

** Have a Great rest of the week People- Above all else,  Stay Healthy! 

I have one friend I'd tell. She's proved that she's not friends with me because of any other reason than we get along. Plus we've played the what-if game enough times. She was there for me during the worst time in my life, at the darkest time in my life, and as far as I know, never judged me. She stood by me when others didn't. We've had our ups and downs and aren't as close as we once were, but she's the only person I trust not to take advantage or use me. I'd have no problem doing the trip thing with her, and I'd also have no problem helping her achieve a few of her dreams.

These are probably going to be like famous last words and she'll end up suing me for millions and I'll read this post a year from now and think what a gullible idiot I was. But at this moment, the thought of telling any other friends or family makes alarm bells go off in my head. Those bells are silent when I think of letting her in on that kind of secret, so I'm probably safe. She gave (not loaned, gave) me some money after things hit rock bottom after the recession and she's refused every single attempt I've made to pay her back since, so chances are high she may not even accept me trying to help her out when I win.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
            Member #118609
            November 4, 2011
            1076 Posts
            Posted: October 17, 2015, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

That is a true friend, Teddi.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1200 Posts
              Posted: October 17, 2015, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

That is a true friend, Teddi.

I think so too.

As giving a person as she is, though, she's given up on faith. Given up thinking anything wonderful will ever come her way. In this one way, I'd love to be able to prove her wrong.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Krypton
                United States
                Member #140102
                March 11, 2013
                904 Posts
                Posted: October 18, 2015, 7:59 am - IP Logged

I would tell my best friend and also give hi at least a million if he would even take it. That's the kind of friend he is. He will argue and not want any of it    When I've won a good amount in the past I paid fir his swimming pool he always wanted for his family ($62,000) he was pissed at the time and always tells me I worked for it and it's mine. To me he is a true friend

I would also give a million to by brother, sister, parents, in laws, sister in law and brother in law , as fir my children each a new car, get the, 100% out if debt and a house that is paid for

Stay In The Vortex, you'll be happy you did ..... Random? Seriously? You want me to believe that?

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                  Happy California
                  United States
                  Member #157856
                  August 2, 2014
                  1552 Posts
                  Posted: October 18, 2015, 10:42 am - IP Logged

Talk with your tax lawyer and CPA Certified Public Accountant before gifting any large amount of cash. The IRS has rules and regulations for gifting.  You could even call the IRS 1-800-1040

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

Arizona
                    United States
                    Member #165073
                    March 24, 2015
                    220 Posts
                    Posted: October 19, 2015, 12:47 am - IP Logged

Talk with your tax lawyer and CPA Certified Public Accountant before gifting any large amount of cash. The IRS has rules and regulations for gifting.  You could even call the IRS 1-800-1040

Just keep it under $14K per person per year and you'll be fine.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                      Texas Panhandle
                      United States
                      Member #136843
                      December 20, 2012
                      1409 Posts
                      Posted: October 19, 2015, 1:22 am - IP Logged

Just keep it under $14K per person per year and you'll be fine.

That's the annual gift exclusion, but you can also give away $5.43 million tax free in your lifetime w/ the federal estate tax exemption, doubled to $10.86 million for a married couple. A husband and wife (or married partners) can each give a gift of $14k to someone with no limit to the number of individuals they can gift. The annual exclusion gifts don’t count towards the lifetime gift exemption.  Also, you can make gifts for medical, dental, and tuition expenses for as many relatives (or friends) as you’d like if you pay the provider directly. These gifts don’t count towards any of the limits.

IRS Instructions for Form 709

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                        Texas Panhandle
                        United States
                        Member #136843
                        December 20, 2012
                        1409 Posts
                        Posted: October 19, 2015, 3:35 am - IP Logged

The annual exclusion gifts don’t count towards the lifetime gift exemption.

A little confusing, but that's because the estate exemption and the lifetime gift exemption are basically one and the same.  If you gave away five million bucks in your lifetime, your estate could only exempt .43 million from taxes.

I don't have children, so my only heirs would be my nieces and nephews.  I've given some thought that IF I ever win a huge sum in the lottery, I'd give them ea. 1.25 million in hopes that they'd use the quarter million for paying off mortgages or other debts, college expenses for their kids, etc.  I'd hope they'd then sock whatever was left + that million bucks away for their retirements.

However, *music's advice is good;  it would be best to consult a reputable financial adviser (or several ) instead of relying on the recommendations of some yahoo (like me) in a forum.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                          Member #4121
                          March 23, 2004
                          817 Posts
                          Posted: October 21, 2015, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Nope.  Not even family.