Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Another Lottery Adventure.

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 1 year ago by SilverLion.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #165541
April 12, 2015
541 Posts
Posted: October 12, 2015, 12:58 am - IP Logged

I am curious to see if your lottery adventure is as curious as mine.  Has this ever happened to you?

An adventure in Lotto Land.

So today I decided to deviate from normal lottery routine.  I decided to take my winning ticket to a new store to determine if they are lucky or have a machine with a lucky lottery algorithm.

It’s a liquor store.  I do a traversing of the whole store, price some vodka, and exchange formalities with the clerk before I hand my winning ticket over.  The ticket is a work of art.  I have circled the numbers so delicately and precisel, and marked the winners with a varying assortment of dazzling bright hues.  The man takes the ticket and scans it.  The winners “tune” plays on the terminal, and before a second even goes by he callously and vigorously tears the ticket.  Not once even commenting on the beautiful assortment of bright rainbow colors.  I sigh.

18.50 he says, as he hurls the ripped ticket in the trash.  23.50 is the prize I ask?  The clerk looks confused, and digs in the trash where he has thrown the “players receipt” also.  He takes it out, looks at it, and without showing it to me says.  “Oh its 23.00.  Give me the 50 cent back.”   So I say “Show me the receipt,” still holding the dollars in my hand.   Now the man says again “give me the 50 cent back”, now a slight panic in his voice, as if he thinks I am about to bolt out the door with my “extra” windfall.  So I say again “show me the receipt”.  Finally he turns it around for me to see, and I say ok, and hand over the extra coins.  I tell the man “I am going to take this receipt, is that ok?”, and he says, “Oh that receipt is yours.”  . (So what was it doing in the trash?) I sigh again.

So I walk out the store whimsically replaying the scene in my head.  I put the ticket in my wallet, and then think to myself, “Did I just lose my free plays?”  I check all my pockets, double check the wallet and wonder If I am having a senior moment. So I head back to the (now dubious) lucky store, hoping the clerk didn’t try to pull a fast one on me. 

“Did you give me my free plays?”  The man looks puzzled, and looks at the lottery machine and then once again bends over to look in the trash.  He pulls out slowly a ticket that has three games on it.

He hands it to me and says generating some sort of excuse.  I ask, “Are you ok?  Long day?  You are not hitting the sauce back there are you?  You almost threw away 70 thousand dollars.”

“I am very sorry sir.”

Rolling my eyes, and making a gesture like Ralph Fiennes in ‘Schindlers List’

I say “That’s ok, "I pardon you” and I walk out.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    22848 Posts
    Posted: October 12, 2015, 2:26 am - IP Logged

Yeah...

That kind of thing where you wonder: did they just try to rip me off knowingly.…...or was

it a case of just not knowing on their part...or did they hope it was on my  part?.

In a Patel-ish store one day...the man was on the phone, I should have known better

than to think he could multi-task, he couldn't.

I made eye contact with him...good thing, I had a portion of his attention. I held up my ticket

and playslips he nodded, I passed them over and he ran them. So far so good. He told me my 

total and I knew it wasn't reflecting my instant ticket. I made a hand motion side to side and

told him no, no, no...where's my winner? He said - 'no winner'.

Huh?!? 

Now it's on...he's saying my winner doesn't exist and I know I gave it to him. Forget hand

signals and being polite now...I told him get off the phone. I said I gave you a winner, where is it?

He said you no give me a winner. Then he's getting hot under the collar insisting I gave him nothing.

He keeps saying no winner.

I'm getting more mad thinking he knows full well what he's doing...trying to KEEP my ticket. I said you

better find it...look in the trash. He's ruffling through it pulling things out trying to assign to me some-

thing I never saw before saying see? No winner. I told him stop pretending you can't find it and find it.

He pulled some more out and I said there it is..I asked him what he was doing and he said: oh! Sorry!

Yeah, OK.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5588 Posts
      Posted: October 12, 2015, 8:34 am - IP Logged

Yeah...

That kind of thing where you wonder: did they just try to rip me off knowingly.…...or was

it a case of just not knowing on their part...or did they hope it was on my  part?.

In a Patel-ish store one day...the man was on the phone, I should have known better

I made eye contact with him...good thing, I had a portion of his attention. I held up my ticket

and playslips he nodded, I passed them over and he ran them. So far so good. He told me my 

total and I knew it wasn't reflecting my instant ticket. I made a hand motion side to side and

Huh?!? 

Now it's on...he's saying my winner doesn't exist and I know I gave it to him. Forget hand

signals and being polite now...I told him get off the phone. I said I gave you a winner, where is it?

He said you no give me a winner. Then he's getting hot under the collar insisting I gave him nothing.

I'm getting more mad thinking he knows full well what he's doing...trying to KEEP my ticket. I said you

better find it...look in the trash. He's ruffling through it pulling things out trying to assign to me some-

thing I never saw before saying see? No winner. I told him stop pretending you can't find it and find it.

He pulled some more out and I said there it is..I asked him what he was doing and he said: oh! Sorry!

Yeah, OK.

This is why I cash my tics at the same place I buy them. The owners of the little c-store are Pakistani? Maybe, not sure. But I have a long relationship with them, and they have done me right every time. If the tic is too big for them to cash, then I'll take it to the Tom Thumb grocery store. But only then.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19816 Posts
        Posted: October 12, 2015, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Ohio once had a promotion for its local games "buy 10 tickets and get one free" and I had to tell the clerk that the free tickets belonged to the customers not the clerk.  The next time I was in the store I saw the owner and was going to tell her but she had fired that clerk because she thought other items in store belonged to her too.

I have also had to remind clerks when I give them a play slip, I expect the numbers checked on the play slip to be on the ticket they hand me and not a ticket rejected by another customers or one of their mistakes.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #165541
          April 12, 2015
          541 Posts
          Posted: October 14, 2015, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

Yeah...

Huh?!? 

Yeah, OK.

HA HA. 

The multi-tasker.  I have a guy like that.  Everytime I go in, he is yapping on the phone.  I generally dont try to make it too complicated for him.

Its a late night spot.  I have had other problems with them before. 

But in this instance the guys just keep yapping.  There are a bunch of QD addicts all the time in there so that always makes it worse.

It a late night game so I am not calling.  I fill out my slips.  But certain bets dont have slips.  So sometimes I am forced to talk to them.

Thats been an adventure too. but too recant.

I try no to use big bills either.  That can change my mind.  This particular clerk has the habit of changing my Jackson 20 with singles.

Then I have to watch him count the change.  And he is still yapping.

Then I have to recount, you know.  And he is still yapping.  Makes it hard to concentrate, as I always pause to observe his yapping and wonder about its complexity.

He doesnt' even make the courtesty to even pause.  Oh boy. 

He is not a P ateel, but he may be married to one.  He yaps in Tugaloo, phonetic.  I am not sure how its spelled.

I go there still, but I try to not cut it so close to the cutoff so I can always deviate to an adjacent store.  That is when the most drama usually occurs and most conflict arises.