Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Illinios Lottery keeps going down hill

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 1 year ago by ArizonaDream.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Illinois
United States
Member #118211
October 25, 2011
10 Posts
Posted: October 12, 2015, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

First they replaced Lottery winnings over $25,000 with IOU's. Then they replaced picking the winning numbers from Lottery Ball to RNG Computer Programs. Now I hear from my fellow Illinois Lottery Players is that they have stopped shipping out scratch off tickets that have prizes greater than $25,000 until after a budget has been reached. I guess it makes sense because it would just create more lawsuits against them. What next? Anything's Possible

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
    Member #106923
    February 27, 2011
    478 Posts
    Posted: October 12, 2015, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

First they replaced Lottery winnings over $25,000 with IOU's. Then they replaced picking the winning numbers from Lottery Ball to RNG Computer Programs. Now I hear from my fellow Illinois Lottery Players is that they have stopped shipping out scratch off tickets that have prizes greater than $25,000 until after a budget has been reached. I guess it makes sense because it would just create more lawsuits against them. What next? Anything's Possible

Isn't it interesting the lottery doesn't know where big winner instant tickets are located because they are randomly inserted in ticket packs yet they are able to pull out tickets with prizes of $25k or more...

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
      Member #118609
      November 4, 2011
      935 Posts
      Posted: October 12, 2015, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

OMG, good catch!  Why anyone would buy a ticket there is beyond me.

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
        Member #169277
        October 10, 2015
        630 Posts
        Posted: October 12, 2015, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

I re-evaluated what games I was buying and cut way back, but I'm still buying.  The money is there for paying winners, only the comptroller can't issue checks. Until either legislators come to their senses or that group of winners win their lawsuit.  And I have absolutely no doubt they will get their funds released once their suit is heard. 

Let's say I win over $25,000 tomorrow. Will I be sitting around stewing in bitterness over a delay for a few months?  NO! I will be going to work with a huge grin on may face knowing that I have $xxx,xxx coming my way in a few months.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
          Upacreek
          United States
          Member #136306
          December 8, 2012
          428 Posts
          Posted: October 12, 2015, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

Interesting... Well at least you're optimistic about a budget getting passed soon.  The way I see it... They got away with not passing one for this long, why not keep kicking the can?

I wonder where you got that info on 25k and greater tickets being pulled from circulation.  If that's true, then scratcher games are really shady bad bets.  I don't know how they could pull that off.

i will say one game I've been playing since the Budget impasse has been terrible with payouts... Much worse than usual.

-RC

United States
            Member #169277
            October 10, 2015
            630 Posts
            Posted: October 12, 2015, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

No, I'm not optimistic about a budget getting passed soon. I am optimistic about the 2 winners who filed suit winning their case, I'm not sure how long until that one comes before a judge. The comptroller is already signing some payroll checks based on court orders.

I haven't heard anything more about Jack Franks introducing legislation to allow lottery payments, but I'd bet that passes before a budget does.

Yeah, I'd like to see the thing about no big prize scratch-offs in writing, from an official source, before I believe it.

Maryland
              United States
              Member #162434
              January 2, 2015
              888 Posts
              Posted: October 13, 2015, 6:06 am - IP Logged

No, I'm not optimistic about a budget getting passed soon. I am optimistic about the 2 winners who filed suit winning their case, I'm not sure how long until that one comes before a judge. The comptroller is already signing some payroll checks based on court orders.

I haven't heard anything more about Jack Franks introducing legislation to allow lottery payments, but I'd bet that passes before a budget does.

Yeah, I'd like to see the thing about no big prize scratch-offs in writing, from an official source, before I believe it.

Yes, this law suit should be interesting to follow. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10351 Posts
                Posted: October 13, 2015, 10:55 am - IP Logged

There's still scratchers with prizes over $25,000 available but I don't play them.

I'll check and see when new ones come in.

The Illinois lottery just released the holiday tickets:
                http://www.illinoislottery.com/en-us/new-instant-games.html

One of the top prizes is $2M, another is $250,000, and another is $50,000. The $2 Turkey Tripler is $20,000 so at least you wouldn't get an IOU on that one.

The Lucky Day (5/45) jackpot right now is $1.2 million but what's the use in playing?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10351 Posts
                  Posted: October 14, 2015, 10:55 am - IP Logged

Gov. Rauner was on in-state news this morning and said they're going to run the state without a budget as best they can - I guess the translation is those lottery IOUs will be IOUs for quite a whole more.

Someone in Lindenhurst won $1.2 Million on Lucky Day Lotto yesterday, how'd you like to have to wait to collect that?

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                    United States
                    Member #4924
                    June 3, 2004
                    5896 Posts
                    Posted: October 14, 2015, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Has anyone question the lottery operators and board, where the is money going? Why would lottery funds be used for other projects, until all the winners received their money. Sounds like a Chicago styled operation.

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10351 Posts
                      Posted: October 14, 2015, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Has anyone question the lottery operators and board, where the is money going? Why would lottery funds be used for other projects, until all the winners received their money. Sounds like a Chicago styled operation.

Bingo!

"The dog barks in Chicago and wags its tail in Springfield"
                      -Illinoi political saying

Lep

United States
                        Member #169277
                        October 10, 2015
                        630 Posts
                        Posted: October 14, 2015, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Gov. Rauner was on in-state news this morning and said they're going to run the state without a budget as best they can - I guess the translation is those lottery IOUs will be IOUs for quite a whole more.

Someone in Lindenhurst won $1.2 Million on Lucky Day Lotto yesterday, how'd you like to have to wait to collect that?

Bang Head

Sure hope "as best they can" means releasing the lottery winners' funds. 

No one has said the money isn't there.  The state is just sitting on their duffs, not releasing it. They get to collect the interest because of a gotcha in state law that doesn't allow the comptroller to write checks without a budget to authorize payments.