Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

florida 25 doller scratch tickets is a scam

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 1 year ago by LONERANGER58.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
brooksville
United States
Member #169380
October 14, 2015
1 Posts
Posted: October 14, 2015, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

My friend bought a $25 dollar scratch ticket with a 10 million dollar grand prize. He has spent over 5 grand and he ever won was $25 and never got a bag or a $500 winner. All he ever got were a couple $25 wins.

This is truely a scam and fraudulent.

He said he was going to contact 60 Minutes and have them exposed as a cheat and fraud.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: October 14, 2015, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

My friend bought a $25 dollar scratch ticket with a 10 million dollar grand prize. He has spent over 5 grand and he ever won was $25 and never got a bag or a $500 winner. All he ever got were a couple $25 wins.

This is truely a scam and fraudulent.

He said he was going to contact 60 Minutes and have them exposed as a cheat and fraud.

Your friend sounds like a liar.

The odds of buying 200 tickets on that game and never winning more than $25 are about 1 in 10,978,885,421,922,800,000

Furthermore, every pack of scratch-offs has a guaranteed low-end prize structure (commonly referred as GLEPS), which means it contains at-minimum a certain prize value according to state law for that lottery's payouts and the odds of that game. Draw games do not have this luxury of lower variance, but the operators tend to structure their scratch-offs to pay out similarly to random chance in a draw game.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5588 Posts
      Posted: October 14, 2015, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

It is impossible to buy $5000 worth of $25 scratchoffs and only win $25.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23259 Posts
        Posted: October 15, 2015, 8:55 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

FLORIDA
          United States
          Member #127998
          May 14, 2012
          404 Posts
          Posted: October 15, 2015, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Where are the gelps posted, i can tell you I have tens of thousand of dollars worth of GRT tickets in my attic, wont 1 yes one 1,000 dollar ticket in the bunch, I have heard of this guaranteed payout structure before but never any proof via statute or rule that it exists...for now i consider it urban legand, and yes ive played enough to know.

biggest hit 10k, Jubilee, 5K Miami Heat, 2K Emerald 8s, 1k jubilee, 1k GRT, 1k heat wave, multiple 500's

good luck in the chase 2013 wins, maybe 4 500's

Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1129 Posts
            Posted: October 15, 2015, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Where are the gelps posted, i can tell you I have tens of thousand of dollars worth of GRT tickets in my attic, wont 1 yes one 1,000 dollar ticket in the bunch, I have heard of this guaranteed payout structure before but never any proof via statute or rule that it exists...for now i consider it urban legand, and yes ive played enough to know.

They typically aren't published but you can obtain them via open records / Freedom of Information (FOIA) requests. The states all use the same, small pool of ticket vendors and they all have GLEPS. A quick google search brings up this document, this onethis one, and even a patent....all discussing or mentioning GLEPS. I know that the lottery in Texas actually makes their GLEPS available for public viewing on their website. Most lotteries aren't this candid. There isn't anything specifically secret about these documents but they outline the "maximum" number of winners per pack and number of lower prizes and this might rub players the wrong way.

A big difference between winning a $1000 ticket out of $10000 worth, than $25 out of $5000. The odds of higher prizes are worse than those of lower prizes, which is why I am 100% sure the OP's friend is full of it.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

new york
              United States
              Member #63828
              August 9, 2008
              175 Posts
              Posted: October 15, 2015, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

Seems as if the OP created an account on this site just yesterday to post about his 'friends' losing streak.

Grammatical errors aside, what the friend went through doesn't seem legit.

New York
                United States
                Member #156870
                July 2, 2014
                80 Posts
                Posted: October 15, 2015, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

Maybe his friend bought tickets in a different stores? Thats could have happened

new york
                  United States
                  Member #63828
                  August 9, 2008
                  175 Posts
                  Posted: October 16, 2015, 12:07 am - IP Logged

Maybe his friend bought tickets in a different stores? Thats could have happened

The only way that it could have possibly happened is if the friend purchased four losing tickets ($100.00 worth) on a daily basis for seven weeks at different store locations resulting in possibly one of the worst losing streaks ever.

But who in their right mind would buy four $25.00 tickets on a daily basis for seven weeks at different store locations, losing every time except for two wins of $25.00 each in seven weeks - and still continue to purchase tickets?

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                    Jacksonville Florida
                    United States
                    Member #23018
                    October 6, 2005
                    914 Posts
                    Posted: October 16, 2015, 12:56 am - IP Logged

It is not impossible, just highly improbable. On the other end of the spectrum are those that win two large prizes with only a small investment in tickets. Both can happen, but it is rare when it does...

Happyland
                      United States
                      Member #146344
                      September 1, 2013
                      1129 Posts
                      Posted: October 16, 2015, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

This actually doesn't make a difference other than impacting variance. The variance would be lower buying all from the same pack. But the probabilities of the game apply regardless of where the ticket is purchased. It is nearly 129 times more probable that one would hit the Powerball jackpot tomorrow night AND next Wednesday night than it would be to have the above streak. In fact, JJ would probably endorse giving away the jackpot to anyone who has such a streak. LOL

FLORIDA
                        United States
                        Member #127998
                        May 14, 2012
                        404 Posts
                        Posted: October 17, 2015, 10:25 am - IP Logged

Its very easy to go through 5000 dollars worth tickets and never get a 500 dollar winner, i have dont it here in Mandarin for the last 3 years.

biggest hit 10k, Jubilee, 5K Miami Heat, 2K Emerald 8s, 1k jubilee, 1k GRT, 1k heat wave, multiple 500's

Cape Coral Florida
                          United States
                          Member #138938
                          February 10, 2013
                          64 Posts
                          Posted: October 17, 2015, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

Lone Ranger he isn't saying that though he is saying his friend went through 5000 dollars and only ever won 25 dollars only that is improbable. He isn't saying he hasn't hit 500 or more.

FLORIDA
                            United States
                            Member #127998
                            May 14, 2012
                            404 Posts
                            Posted: October 17, 2015, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

copy that, i would agree with Duckman,