Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 9:52 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you post a Jackpot?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 1 year ago by MrGray.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Florida
United States
Member #167757
July 29, 2015
373 Posts
Posted: October 22, 2015, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

You hit a top prize on some ticket, let's call it a million schmackaroos.

The Lottery is going to post your full name and location publicly. Posting your ticket here would destroy your anonymity.

Do you:

A) Say, "Hell with it," and post your ticket anyway, knowing it'd be fun to share and show others here it's not always some random dodo buying his/her first ticket ever that wins big,

B) Share it through PMs with only those users you're comfortable with,

C) Keep it to yourself and just continue posting your less significant wins?

For my own part I think I'd only share it privately with those users here with which I've gained some rapport through conversation. It'd be enjoyable to post it for everyone, along with whatever story there might be, but with the Lottery's disclosure and knowing the posting would be public and open to anyone (potentially forever), I think I'd shy away.

What would you do?

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3159 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2015, 2:04 am - IP Logged

A. I would be more comfortable posting it here then telling people i know.

morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
      Member #154519
      April 19, 2014
      246 Posts
      Posted: October 23, 2015, 7:18 am - IP Logged

I wish I could remain anonnymus if I won it big.  However, the FL lottery will not only tweet my winning ticket, they'll have a picture of me on their website as well!  That, along with my age and my city lol.

Coal Thumb's avatar - Lottery-052.jpg
        NY
        United States
        Member #169635
        October 25, 2015
        80 Posts
        Posted: October 25, 2015, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

I'd totally post it here. Not many people see big prizes, and having it immortalized online would be cool. Not worried about anonymity here. Username was only made up a few hours ago to fit theme of site.

New York
          United States
          Member #157288
          July 14, 2014
          170 Posts
          Posted: October 26, 2015, 8:20 am - IP Logged

I'm going to post it here to hopefully inspire others on this site not to give up!

Mamma28z's avatar - phone
            Lower MI
            United States
            Member #94546
            July 22, 2010
            247 Posts
            Posted: October 27, 2015, 3:44 am - IP Logged

I wish I could remain anonnymus if I won it big.  However, the FL lottery will not only tweet my winning ticket, they'll have a picture of me on their website as well!  That, along with my age and my city lol.

That should be illegal- And if they posted my picture I would wear a mask ..

New York
              United States
              Member #157288
              July 14, 2014
              170 Posts
              Posted: October 27, 2015, 10:02 am - IP Logged

That should be illegal- And if they posted my picture I would wear a mask ..

I've seen pictures of winners that wear sunglasses and/or hats during the press conference. I can't blame them.

Florida
                United States
                Member #167757
                July 29, 2015
                373 Posts
                Posted: October 27, 2015, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

As far as I know you can refuse the picture. The only requirement that's difficult to get around is the posting of your name. You can create a trust, donate your ticket to the trust, and have the trust claim the prize (though, foolishly if you ask me, most people name the trust after themselves). Also, Florida has a habit of also naming the trustee (you) with the trust. So even if you create the Mud Splash Revocable Trust, or whatever, which will be what's listed on the winner's report, they're still going stick your personal name the press release.

If you win enough money for this to matter to you, bring your lawyer.

SE PA
                  United States
                  Member #93582
                  July 3, 2010
                  1872 Posts
                  Posted: October 28, 2015, 11:47 am - IP Logged

You hit a top prize on some ticket, let's call it a million schmackaroos.

The Lottery is going to post your full name and location publicly. Posting your ticket here would destroy your anonymity.

Do you:

A) Say, "Hell with it," and post your ticket anyway, knowing it'd be fun to share and show others here it's not always some random dodo buying his/her first ticket ever that wins big,

B) Share it through PMs with only those users you're comfortable with,

C) Keep it to yourself and just continue posting your less significant wins?

For my own part I think I'd only share it privately with those users here with which I've gained some rapport through conversation. It'd be enjoyable to post it for everyone, along with whatever story there might be, but with the Lottery's disclosure and knowing the posting would be public and open to anyone (potentially forever), I think I'd shy away.

What would you do?

I think I may post that I won, but would be be afraid to post the ticket itself.

Detroit
                    United States
                    Member #161964
                    December 17, 2014
                    18 Posts
                    Posted: October 29, 2015, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

Thankfully, in Michigan you don't need to publicly release your name or face - as long as it's not a multistate drawing.

That said, I have long hair. I'd grow my beard out and wear dark glasses when I turn in a million dollar winner. On the way home, I'd get a haircut and shave my beard off, just to be sure.

Florida
                      United States
                      Member #167757
                      July 29, 2015
                      373 Posts
                      Posted: October 29, 2015, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Thankfully, in Michigan you don't need to publicly release your name or face - as long as it's not a multistate drawing.

That said, I have long hair. I'd grow my beard out and wear dark glasses when I turn in a million dollar winner. On the way home, I'd get a haircut and shave my beard off, just to be sure.

I laughed reading this. It gave me a 'Unabomber Claims Jackpot' kind of image. Thank you for that.

I have both a hefty beard and long hair (pools on and rolls off my shoulders if I don't tie it back). It's taken years to grow out, though, as I kept it buzzed for most of my life. I wouldn't be willing to cut it. I just wouldn't let the Lottery photograph me.