Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Illinois getting kicked out of MegaMillions

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 1 year ago by realtorjim.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Think's avatar - lightbulb
Marquette, MI
United States
Member #20541
August 20, 2005
710 Posts
Posted: October 25, 2015, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Something sure does smell funny today.  I just checked the Official MegaMillions website and it still lists the results as "Pending"  I don't ever recall seeing that as late as Sunday morning before.

Is MegaMillions finding out if Illinois is intending to welch on their share of the jackpot payout if someone wins?

Is Illinois going to be thrown out of the Megamillions for its welching ways?

Will the advertised jackpot be reduced by the Illinois amount?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3316 Posts
    Posted: October 25, 2015, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

dont worry , you'll still be able to get your tickets for MM and PB in illinois

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

United States
      Member #149820
      December 9, 2013
      644 Posts
      Posted: October 25, 2015, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

Well why not kick them out I mean they can't pay you if you win....Who wants an I.O.U instead of a big pile of cash. Don't all speak at once now 

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
        Green Bay
        United States
        Member #169391
        October 15, 2015
        1278 Posts
        Posted: October 25, 2015, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

I bet if you owe Illinois state tax they want it on time or there's a penalty.  Maybe taxpayers should send them an IOU too.

Never give up.  Banana

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23350 Posts
          Posted: October 25, 2015, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

Something sure does smell funny today.  I just checked the Official MegaMillions website and it still lists the results as "Pending"  I don't ever recall seeing that as late as Sunday morning before.

Is MegaMillions finding out if Illinois is intending to welch on their share of the jackpot payout if someone wins?

Is Illinois going to be thrown out of the Megamillions for its welching ways?

Will the advertised jackpot be reduced by the Illinois amount?

This is most likely to do with the fact that the website was offline since Friday, and has nothing to do with Illinois.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
            Member #106923
            February 27, 2011
            479 Posts
            Posted: October 25, 2015, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

This is most likely to do with the fact that the website was offline since Friday, and has nothing to do with Illinois.

I love analogous logic!

Yes Nod

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

Think's avatar - lightbulb
              Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              710 Posts
              Posted: October 25, 2015, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

I realize they were having problems with the website however powerball, which is drawn a day after megamillions, had their info up this morning while Megamillions, which was drawn a full day before powerball, still had 'pending' on their site.

This still begs the question that if somebody wins in another state will Illinois send their part of the jackpot cash to the jackpot winner in whatever state takes the jackpot or will Illinois welch on that win too?

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                Texas
                United States
                Member #55889
                October 23, 2007
                5756 Posts
                Posted: October 25, 2015, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

I realize they were having problems with the website however powerball, which is drawn a day after megamillions, had their info up this morning while Megamillions, which was drawn a full day before powerball, still had 'pending' on their site.

This still begs the question that if somebody wins in another state will Illinois send their part of the jackpot cash to the jackpot winner in whatever state takes the jackpot or will Illinois welch on that win too?

I was reading the minutes of the Texas Lottery Commission meeting on Oct 5. Executive Director Gary Grief indicated that the Illinois lottery is making their share of payments for PB and MM to MUSL. So if you live in Illinois and buy MM or PB tics, that money is going to MUSL.
                However, if someone wins more than $600 from MM or PB in Illinois, I don't think the winner would be paid until the budget is passed.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23350 Posts
                  Posted: October 25, 2015, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

And some multi-state games, like 2by2, still do not have updated results.  (See for yourself here.)

MUSL operates the websites, but I'm sure they don't actual manage most of the content.  I believe the Mega Millions content is managed by Virginia -- I know it was in the past, and it may still be.  Whereas the Powerball site content is managed by MUSL (I think).

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                    Member #106923
                    February 27, 2011
                    479 Posts
                    Posted: October 26, 2015, 12:38 am - IP Logged

You might check out:

EXECUTIVE BRANCH
                    (20 ILCS 1605/) Illinois Lottery Law.

It is interesting to note the following excerpt from the above:

... the Department shall distribute all proceeds of lottery tickets and shares sold in the following priority and manner:

(1) The payment of prizes and retailer bonuses.

(2) The payment of costs incurred in the operation and administration of the Lottery, including the payment of sums due to the private manager under the management agreement with the Department.

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!