Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions sales

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 1 year ago by HoLeeKau.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
WV
United States
Member #107175
March 2, 2011
100 Posts
Posted: October 28, 2015, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

A couple of months ago i posted about how PB sales were much smaller then they were from 2 or 3 years ago and i mentioned i knew MM sales were down also but did not really know how much they were down. Last night there was no winner so i looked up past drawings and ticket sales. The advertised JP is showing 129 million and this is the result of 13 rollovers. Ticket sales for the 13 drawings are about 226 mill. I looked back to 2011 and found a jackpot that was hit for 319 mill after 14 rollovers. When it had rolled 13 times the JP was advertised at 244 mill and the ticket sales for the 13 drawings was around 412 million. This was in March of 2011 so it looks like ticket sales in 4 1/2 years are down to close to 50%. It looks to me that by making it harder to hit the JP by adding more numbers to these games that they are driving players away. They say that adding more numbers will result in bigger JP and that will increase sales but it looks like the opposite has happened.

NY
    United States
    Member #167035
    June 22, 2015
    1340 Posts
    Posted: October 28, 2015, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

A couple of months ago i posted about how PB sales were much smaller then they were from 2 or 3 years ago and i mentioned i knew MM sales were down also but did not really know how much they were down. Last night there was no winner so i looked up past drawings and ticket sales. The advertised JP is showing 129 million and this is the result of 13 rollovers. Ticket sales for the 13 drawings are about 226 mill. I looked back to 2011 and found a jackpot that was hit for 319 mill after 14 rollovers. When it had rolled 13 times the JP was advertised at 244 mill and the ticket sales for the 13 drawings was around 412 million. This was in March of 2011 so it looks like ticket sales in 4 1/2 years are down to close to 50%. It looks to me that by making it harder to hit the JP by adding more numbers to these games that they are driving players away. They say that adding more numbers will result in bigger JP and that will increase sales but it looks like the opposite has happened.

i approve of this post - only play when 200m+ and limited lines anyway

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3854 Posts
      Posted: October 28, 2015, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! the PB is even worse, it's only adding the minimum 10Mil. each rollover.

The whole thing is going to backfire, they must be sweating out each drawing.

I quit the PB altogether and play the MM only now and then.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

NY
        United States
        Member #167035
        June 22, 2015
        1340 Posts
        Posted: October 28, 2015, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! the PB is even worse, it's only adding the minimum 10Mil. each rollover.

The whole thing is going to backfire, they must be sweating out each drawing.

I quit the PB altogether and play the MM only now and then.

if no winner tonight PB will increase to 127M w a cash value of 79.7M

http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/lottery/Documents/jackpotestimates/pb20151028.pdf

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3854 Posts
          Posted: October 29, 2015, 6:29 am - IP Logged

Ok, so more players must jump in at the 100MIL mark, but it's still short of the MM.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23261 Posts
            Posted: October 29, 2015, 7:43 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
              Lavender Rocket

United States
              Member #124616
              March 16, 2012
              2642 Posts
              Posted: October 29, 2015, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

I doubt that people who have stopped playing as much or as often with the big-2 are playing the lottery less.  Which must mean that the individual states scratch ticket sales must be up?

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #94283
                July 17, 2010
                2284 Posts
                Posted: October 29, 2015, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

I doubt that people who have stopped playing as much or as often with the big-2 are playing the lottery less.  Which must mean that the individual states scratch ticket sales must be up?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm personally spending less on lottery.  I don't like scratchers.  Don't have an in-state jackpot game.  Multi-state Wild Card 2 is only $255K right now, not life-changing yet so I only play 1 or 2 dollars on that.  So right now my state is getting $8 or $12 less per week from me.