Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Neck and Neck

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 1 year ago by SilverLion.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Which game will have the longer run and higher final Jackpot amount?

Mega Millions [ 5 ]  [31.25%]
Power Ball [ 11 ]  [68.75%]
Total Valid Votes [ 16 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #165541
April 12, 2015
541 Posts
Posted: November 1, 2015, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

The Multi State PowerBall, and MegaMillions games are at a rare equivalency. (At least from my experience and memory)

They are at an average of 143 million dollar JP, and both had an increase of 15 million from their previous draws.

How long will this trend continue and will this provide an opportunity for MUSL marketers to determine if the more thrifty players will flock to the lower cost game over the more pricey choice? 

I suppose MUSL wet dream would be for them both to get to a Billion, but

Will the Mega Millions pull ahead as the game of the people and get the larger increases and next Record breaking/Billion dollar Jackpot first?

Good Luck players, whichever you decide to play and win.

(This luck only applies to CA,NY and FL of course)

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: November 1, 2015, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

It is interesting to see both games rolling with similar jackpots, and I think we will see this happening more often now that both games have similar odds. One issue that MUSL wants to avoid is the cannibalization of one game over the other, as that actual harms revenues when players flock to the game with higher jackpot. When both games have high jackpots then players play both and this results in more money going to the participating jurisdictions.

I am not sure about this round but eventually I believe that Powerball will take the record. The $2 price point with worse odds makes it more probable to see higher jackpot in the longterm. But it is interesting that Mega Millions still holds the record despite it being $1 and despite it having lower odds at the time it was won.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: November 1, 2015, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

If both games continue to have drawings with no million dollars winner then it going to be obvious to most players that there no advantage in buying more than  a few tickets for either game regardless of the jackpot size which will lessen the chance of there being a ticket buying frenzy until their jackpots reach as least a half billion dollars.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23261 Posts
        Posted: November 1, 2015, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
          Lavender Rocket

United States
          Member #124616
          March 16, 2012
          2642 Posts
          Posted: November 2, 2015, 2:46 am - IP Logged

If both games continue to have drawings with no million dollars winner then it going to be obvious to most players that there no advantage in buying more than  a few tickets for either game regardless of the jackpot size which will lessen the chance of there being a ticket buying frenzy until their jackpots reach as least a half billion dollars.

saying a half billion dollars sounds bigger to me than saying 500M$.  I know its the same thing - I just never quite thought of it like that.  (which means I am in serious need of sleep)

0h - and PB will have the higher total this run between the 2 of them.  (my guess)

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #165541
            April 12, 2015
            541 Posts
            Posted: November 23, 2015, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

saying a half billion dollars sounds bigger to me than saying 500M$.  I know its the same thing - I just never quite thought of it like that.  (which means I am in serious need of sleep)

0h - and PB will have the higher total this run between the 2 of them.  (my guess)

it sounds different because of perception.  What is perceived can be easily deceived. 

Both Jackpots have been won since I last posted, and the anamoly between the two current JP is quite staggering.

90 Million VS 25 Million.

The two starting JP are very different.

40 vs 15.

But a QP player must remember to play in Illinois  because the RNG is more in tune to the tipton JP winning pattern.