Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 2:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Successful Winners

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Tialuvslotto.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
TooTallLuke's avatar - img 8jc7G2.jpg
Ontario
Canada
Member #137286
December 31, 2012
93 Posts
Posted: November 3, 2015, 10:12 am - IP Logged

We've all heard stories of lottery winners who've blown it all and lost everything, but what about the ones who have taken their lottery win and turned it into a bigger win? Do you know of any?

NYC
    United States
    Member #161115
    November 17, 2014
    126 Posts
    Posted: November 3, 2015, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Yeah, Brad Duke. $220 million win . I read somewhere his net worth is just over $120 million or something from investments. His goal was to reach a billion but I doubt that will happen.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19831 Posts
      Posted: November 3, 2015, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, Brad Duke. $220 million win . I read somewhere his net worth is just over $120 million or something from investments. His goal was to reach a billion but I doubt that will happen.

He owned a business when he won his jackpot and he was immediately worth half of it plus what he already owned which should have been at least that much.  I imagine with the expense of living day to day and not decreasing his worth is hard enough let alone trying to become a billionaire.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
        Happy California
        United States
        Member #157856
        August 2, 2014
        1522 Posts
        Posted: November 3, 2015, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Use the search box here at Lottery Post. It is located at the top right of  this page. 

You will read about the Arizona couple who won big and took the twenty-year annuity. They got the last check this year or last year. They are Don & Shirley Pence, $102 million 17 years later. May 23,2012

You need to hunt for stories of successful winners. They can be found in the U.S. and the U.K. here at Lottery Post.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
          Nova Scotia
          Canada
          Member #9934
          December 27, 2004
          884 Posts
          Posted: November 3, 2015, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

Alot of successful winner's, out there- hopefully they don't over spend, and hold onto their wealth!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4110 Posts
            Posted: November 4, 2015, 12:00 am - IP Logged

We've all heard stories of lottery winners who've blown it all and lost everything, but what about the ones who have taken their lottery win and turned it into a bigger win? Do you know of any?

Mr Duke will always have money, why? Because his into bicycles, not motorcycles, bicyles. He bought a bunch of them and ended up opened up a bike shop if l am not mistaken. I read where his charitable donations were something like $2-4 mil in the years since he won a jackpot of $200 mil and that was about 10 plus years ago .However it's his money and he can do whatever he wants with it.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
              Member #164603
              March 8, 2015
              614 Posts
              Posted: November 4, 2015, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

Nobody wants to read about people who live happily ever after in real life. People want the disaster movie.

They want to see people who had a chance and squandered it all so they can feel superior.

Like the Fisherman's fable

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm019.html

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #74096
                May 2, 2009
                22968 Posts
                Posted: November 4, 2015, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

Nobody wants to read about people who live happily ever after in real life. People want the disaster movie.

They want to see people who had a chance and squandered it all so they can feel superior.

Sad but true. It's hard for some people to be genuine with other's good fortune when it 

comes to lots of money. Family isn't too good at handling it either.

Funny how a 'that's too bad' comment sounds a lot more genuine when misfortune hits but

an 'I'm so happy for you' when great things happen sounds empty and meaningless.

I've been on the receiving end of both.

Some people are awful.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                  Member #142499
                  May 13, 2013
                  1186 Posts
                  Posted: November 4, 2015, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

The irony of this question is that most successful winners are successful because they keep a low profile. We don't really know how they spend or invest their winnings, but I count it a success that they're not in the news, since that means they are NOT being sued, or being killed, or committing suicide, or filing for bankruptcy. No news is good news in lottery world. 

I think the only three winners we can say with an over 90% certainty who have parlayed their winnings into successful businesses and/or investments are Brad Duke, Bryon Woods (teepee motels...who knew?) and Jason Fry.

Winners whose business ventures were not successful but they still kept a big chunk of their money are Richard Morrison (Graceful Rose closed in October) and Cynthia Stafford ( a controversial pick but I haven't heard anything about her going bankrupt so it's safe to include her at the moment).

Winners who haven't tried (or haven't publicized) business ventures and still have money after many years are: Steven and Kristine White, Salvador Saladar, Sandra Hayes and Robert Uomini.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7322 Posts
                    Posted: November 4, 2015, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

United States
                      Member #164725
                      March 12, 2015
                      343 Posts
                      Posted: November 5, 2015, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

Winning a jackpot should reduce stress, not increase it. Running a business is very stressful.  Better to invest in the market and small ventures run by other people and in something that you know about. You are still contributing to the creation of jobs and hopefully see a monetary return but without the headaches or a financial drain.  Running yourself ragged because you "always wanted to have your own [fill in the blank]" is dumb.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                        Economy class
                        Belgium
                        Member #123700
                        February 27, 2012
                        4035 Posts
                        Posted: November 6, 2015, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

He owned a business when he won his jackpot and he was immediately worth half of it plus what he already owned which should have been at least that much.  I imagine with the expense of living day to day and not decreasing his worth is hard enough let alone trying to become a billionaire.

I thought that he ran one or more gyms. The trainer told me many years ago, that someone did his best to win the lottery. Money can make money. You won't get rich easily by buying stocks for 100 USD. It is easier to loose money.

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                          Member #169277
                          October 10, 2015
                          630 Posts
                          Posted: November 6, 2015, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

I'd call someone sucessful if they invested sensibly and lived off the interest. 

Or even just managed their spending so the money lasts the rest of their life. 

Those are the ones who never make the news.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                            Member #142499
                            May 13, 2013
                            1186 Posts
                            Posted: November 6, 2015, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Winning a jackpot should reduce stress, not increase it. Running a business is very stressful.  Better to invest in the market and small ventures run by other people and in something that you know about. You are still contributing to the creation of jobs and hopefully see a monetary return but without the headaches or a financial drain.  Running yourself ragged because you "always wanted to have your own [fill in the blank]" is dumb.

The problem is that you're thinking about it from the point of view of someone struggling to make a success of their business because they have loans hanging over their heads, a mortgage or lease that must be paid regardless of sales or lack thereof, and possibly even investors breathing down their necks. 

Instead, you should be thinking of it as a person getting the opportunity to do what they always wanted to do but never having the funds to do it.  Winning a jackpot is about having opportunities. Opportunities to do all the things you've always wanted to do, and not the things you HAD to do. 

So now you can fulfill your wish, and you have enough investment capital to pay someone else to run themselves ragged. Not sure how fulfilling one's dream could ever be considered dumb. I think relying on the market or ventures of others  given the recession and the recent spate of brilliant con men (Madoff, Stanford etc) is a much dumber choice than trying to do for yourself.

Besides, 30-50 years with nothing to do but shop and eat bon bons might get old after a while.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

New Hampshire
                              United States
                              Member #163572
                              February 3, 2015
                              40 Posts
                              Posted: November 6, 2015, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

What ever happened to Christopher Shaw in Missouri?  Havent heard a thing since he won.