Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My Florida Nightmare

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Ezcash.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #169849
November 3, 2015
23 Posts
Posted: November 3, 2015, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

I am somewhat addicted to these instant tickets so I spent around $250 one night on a bunch of $25 Florida Cash tickets, all of them were losers. Last night, I took out $60 from the ATM and on my last $20 bought a Gold Rush and that won me $500 at Publix. Today, I win $100 on a $1 Money Tree and as of one hour ago, all of it has been spent on more tickets. I won some and then stupidly reinvested so I'm now out around $600. Unhappy Not sure how I will sleep tonight. I won a nice $500 but then lost it all. That's called Gambling!

Jacksonville
    United States
    Member #153806
    March 26, 2014
    345 Posts
    Posted: November 3, 2015, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

I'm sorry to hear about your losses.  If you really feel that you cannot control the impulse to buy tickets, you should consider calling the Florida Gambling Hotline:  888-ADMIT-IT. (236-4848).  We all splurge at times, but it can be a problem if it's not under control. I wish you the best.

Coal Thumb's avatar - Lottery-052.jpg
      NY
      United States
      Member #169635
      October 25, 2015
      80 Posts
      Posted: November 4, 2015, 12:28 am - IP Logged

This was me for a few years. No real bills to pay so I'd drop about 400 a week on scratchcards. More like 1000 when you factor in the spent winnings. I recommend changing to books. Books with lots of tickets. Scratch til your arm goes numb. I've done this to good success. Lost a FRACTION of what I had been spending, and kinda lost the itch. Temporarily. Its still better than going crazy and burning it in a day. Takes many days to burn thru it all, since you'll be making some back after an hour or two of binging. Also try the machine challenge. One of each. Once daily or weekly. Its ONLY right place, right time. One thing I also do is watch youtube scratchers for the fix.

Its only a problem if you actually cave in and call the number. Don't let anyone tell you or make you think it's a problem. Its a hobby. Set a limit...wait that doesn't work. Save up for a good day so you can play a ton and not worry about it. My thing is ALL pocket money is lottery money, so I make a point to make 75% of my cash unwastable. (Student loans and rainy day).

I am expert help giver. This is not proven to work. Mostly I don't worry about it because I won't care when I've earned all that money back in a few paychecks time.

NY
        United States
        Member #167035
        June 22, 2015
        1340 Posts
        Posted: November 4, 2015, 5:59 am - IP Logged

This was me for a few years. No real bills to pay so I'd drop about 400 a week on scratchcards. More like 1000 when you factor in the spent winnings. I recommend changing to books. Books with lots of tickets. Scratch til your arm goes numb. I've done this to good success. Lost a FRACTION of what I had been spending, and kinda lost the itch. Temporarily. Its still better than going crazy and burning it in a day. Takes many days to burn thru it all, since you'll be making some back after an hour or two of binging. Also try the machine challenge. One of each. Once daily or weekly. Its ONLY right place, right time. One thing I also do is watch youtube scratchers for the fix.

Its only a problem if you actually cave in and call the number. Don't let anyone tell you or make you think it's a problem. Its a hobby. Set a limit...wait that doesn't work. Save up for a good day so you can play a ton and not worry about it. My thing is ALL pocket money is lottery money, so I make a point to make 75% of my cash unwastable. (Student loans and rainy day).

I am expert help giver. This is not proven to work. Mostly I don't worry about it because I won't care when I've earned all that money back in a few paychecks time.

love the youtube scratchers like watching me some of those too

and 10 in a row $25 losers - i believe anything these days

United States
          Member #169849
          November 3, 2015
          23 Posts
          Posted: November 4, 2015, 9:08 am - IP Logged

$500 will not change my life, we're all hoping for that six figure win. I need a new house!

Douglasville, GA
            United States
            Member #126604
            April 12, 2012
            869 Posts
            Posted: November 4, 2015, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

Been there and done it several times. The key is what you said above, $500 won't change your life but chasing is only going to net you a $500 - $1000 win if you are lucky. Just keep reminding yourself what you are playing for and keep reading this board. You will see many of us chasers get burned. And the people who win big but 1 ticket. I think it was duckman who won $20,000 or $200,000 can't remember which buying a single ticket. I think we all have a slight gambling problem but as long as you are not spending your mortgage payment or diaper money you may be ok. It is when you start doing that you need help! Good luck

2014 $500+ Wins: 2 - $500 Luck Loot, 2 - $500 Millionaire Jumbo Bucks, 2 - $500 50X the Money, 8 - $500 Cash Spectacular, 1 - $1,000 Monopoly Millionaire, 3 - $1,000 Cash Spectacular, 1 - $500 - $7500 a Week for Life, 1 - $500 100X the Money

United States
              Member #169849
              November 3, 2015
              23 Posts
              Posted: November 4, 2015, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the reply. Update: Today I walked in with $80, lost half, then won $100, then lost it all. I played for a good 2 hours on large and small tickets and the clerk and I had some good conversation. I also saw a lady cash in on a $2 ticket and she won $100, then lost it all like me. She played a bunch of tickets, she won some and then kept reinvesting. I AM UNEMPLOYED. I do side jobs for food money so I am not rich by any means. I am also 21, my first scratcher was a $1 card which got me $20 for gas. I never had this "habit" until recently. In the 1 year I have been playing with my losses and wins, I am OUT ABOUT $500-600. I am gonna try and quit for a few weeks. When I come back to that convenient store, I'll probably stick with the $2 or $5 ones.

For now, the hard part is sleeping and waking up knowing the money I've thrown away when I just won $500 2 days ago on a $20 card and now it's all gone makes me sick. My family is telling me "I could of donated the money to poor animals or bought some groceries" and I just feel bad. But that's the life of a gambler I guess.

Jay

Douglasville, GA
                United States
                Member #126604
                April 12, 2012
                869 Posts
                Posted: November 5, 2015, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Ok EZ I take back everything I said! You should be saving all of your money at this point. At least quit until you have a steady job. You should have taken that $500 and lived like a king for a few days. Winning in the lottery is dangerous because you think you can replicate it. Problem is you might but you will spend more than what you won to do it. I was in my 30s win I got my first $500 win. I have been a serious player since which is about 3 years. In those 3 years I have gotten several  $500 wins and several $1000 wins but I am by no means "up"!  Still have lost more than won. Get control of it now before it's too late. I am not scolding you at all. Just offering advice. Play smart my friend.

morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
                  Member #154519
                  April 19, 2014
                  243 Posts
                  Posted: November 5, 2015, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

Leave your debit card at home so you won't be tempted to withdraw money.

lynki516's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
                    Florida
                    United States
                    Member #150771
                    December 30, 2013
                    241 Posts
                    Posted: November 6, 2015, 9:43 am - IP Logged

I have been playing Gold Rush tickets for 3 years now- I've won $500- 8 times, plus lots of $100, $50, and so on......  I've also lost a lot of times. So, I decided to take the money I would have spent on the lottery, and put it away in a jar ( to make like I spent it and lost- which is what usually happens when I play). This way, I can see how much I have been losing when I play.... only, I still have the money, not the Lottery. I really get depressed when I spend money on it, and find out I lost.... this way, I didn't lose anything! I have lost more than I have won on the tickets. It's not worth it anymore. The Lottery is doing better than me when I play!

Big Grin Angel

United States
                      Member #169849
                      November 3, 2015
                      23 Posts
                      Posted: November 6, 2015, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I have no control guys, yesterday lost $96 and today $65 but won $100, but then lost it all. I am DOWN $800. I've probably scratched over $1,200 in tickets though this past week. The money I am spending is coming from money I have saved over years doing side jobs. My dad wants me to spend all of my savings to learn a lesson, then get a $8/hr job and see how "hard" it is to make money. I feel sick and very depressed. Suicide is not my answer, please pray for me.

Jay

Cape Coral Florida
                        United States
                        Member #138938
                        February 10, 2013
                        64 Posts
                        Posted: November 6, 2015, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

When you win 100 leave and don't come back for the night. I always stop at 50 or 100 if I win and believe me that never happens but you need to learn to stop when you are ahead or even even.

United States
                          Member #169356
                          October 13, 2015
                          18 Posts
                          Posted: November 6, 2015, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

I have no control guys, yesterday lost $96 and today $65 but won $100, but then lost it all. I am DOWN $800. I've probably scratched over $1,200 in tickets though this past week. The money I am spending is coming from money I have saved over years doing side jobs. My dad wants me to spend all of my savings to learn a lesson, then get a $8/hr job and see how "hard" it is to make money. I feel sick and very depressed. Suicide is not my answer, please pray for me.

Jay

Hey EZ. I completely know how it is to be a compulsive gambler and spend 100s to 1000s a week on scratchies. I know how addicting it is; thinking in your head " The next one is gonna be a huge winner" more likely than not it wont be. I started gambling when I first started college up in UCF and would spend all my left over tuition money on scratchies and would lose it ALL. I didn't have a job at the time and then came the depression stage where I didn't have money to do anything such as, eat. It was pretty bad; still kinda is. Just now I do have a full time job making decent money. I still spend 100s a week on them but never won anything more than $1,000 - Just once.  Just be careful and try to quit not before it gets worse.

There have been times where I would ask family members for money because I would waste all my money on them - that's when I knew i started going downhill. I literally had to have my mom hold on to my paycheck. Just giving you my experience. Don't want for you to end up that way. If you need someone to talk to, you can always send me a PM. I'm now 27 and can relate to your story. ( I started playing when I was about 22)

North port
                            United States
                            Member #168551
                            September 6, 2015
                            34 Posts
                            Posted: November 8, 2015, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Ez buy a mega million or fantasy 5 and sit and wait till win ween yourself from there .

United States
                              Member #169849
                              November 3, 2015
                              23 Posts
                              Posted: November 10, 2015, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have gotten better and stopped for a few days, today I won $10 on a $5 Gold Rush and took my winnings and left.

I speak to a lot of clerks and most of them tell me older people spend hundreds of dollars in a day and only win 20% or so back. But they are constantly coming back week after week burning through their savings like I did. I am saving my change for a big $25 ticket, but it might be a few weeks till I can afford one.

Thanks again, keep on helping... Wink