Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 7:07 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do people who win a lot on the scratchers spend much to get those wins?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Chacha33.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: November 11, 2015, 7:18 am - IP Logged

I am curious to hear if people who win often on scratchers spend a lot to get those wins? So often I will see people post their wins and wonder how some people are so lucky or do those people spend a lot to get their wins? A few times I would ask someone who posted their wins if they spent much to get their wins but got no response. I use to be addicted to buying scratch tickets but now I rarely play them and if I do but a ticket will buy one scratch ticket and if I lose buy one more and then leave the store and wait for months till I buy another one. The most I ever won a scratch ticket was 200 dollars but on this site I see many people posting good wins and wonder if it's luck or spending lots to get those wins?

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #149492
    December 2, 2013
    919 Posts
    Posted: November 11, 2015, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

For the most part, I believe they spend a lot.

Jacksonville
      United States
      Member #153806
      March 26, 2014
      363 Posts
      Posted: November 11, 2015, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

It is a combination of both.  I've had some good wins from purchasing just a few tickets.  Other times, I've had to go through a lot of tickets to get a good win.  People can and do get lucky in spurts.  However, in the long run, you end up spending money to get frequent big wins.  Sometimes when I post a win, I'll give the background on how many tickets I bought, etc.  Other times, I won't.  Ultimately it is not anyone else's business.  The point of sharing the wins on this website is for other members to enjoy seeing other people who have won decent prizes on games.  Shaming people who post wins is not consistent with the spirit of the website.

Coal Thumb's avatar - Lottery-052.jpg
        NY
        United States
        Member #169635
        October 25, 2015
        80 Posts
        Posted: November 11, 2015, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I've been doing about 300 a week.gonna start switching to hard-core book scratching.

Agree with above, I distance myself from people who ask 'but how much did you spend?' Because it's about winning the game no matter how many lives lost, because 100 coins later you're ready to take that winning leap of faith again. Then you get burned by some fat king, but you get in right under his nose and burn ... the bridge... this comparison will not get you chicks...but is super risky.

PA
          United States
          Member #129849
          June 29, 2012
          314 Posts
          Posted: November 13, 2015, 9:59 am - IP Logged

I like to quantify it, because IMO posting up a nice 1K, 5K or 10K win is a little

misleading when you don't offer up how much you have invested prior to getting

that win. 1K wins are nice, but it's a little different when you were down $800 or 

maybe even down over 1K before you hit that win. Yes it's nice to see the 1K win,

but when a casual scratcher sees that, they can feel discouraged because their weekly

ticket or two hasn't been producing anything like that. It's a little different when you learn

that nice big winner was after a heck of a lot of losing scratches.

I don't shame people who don't share how much they play,  it's just for a little bit of a piece

of mind.

United States
            Member #122468
            February 1, 2012
            530 Posts
            Posted: November 15, 2015, 8:34 am - IP Logged

Thanks for your reply.

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: November 15, 2015, 8:42 am - IP Logged

Thanks for responding. It's not about trying to shame anyone but wonder how some people continue to win consistently and people like myself rarely win on scratchers. Now it's been at least a year and a half or more when I started on my lottery budget so I rarely play scratch tickets but even when I do play them I just win nothing or break even. When people post their wins I am happy for them but it does make a difference if you spend hundreds or more to get that big win since you have more of a chance to win the more you spend.  The 3 years I was addicted to playing scratchers I lost far more than I won.

United States
                Member #122468
                February 1, 2012
                530 Posts
                Posted: November 15, 2015, 8:44 am - IP Logged

Thanks for answering. I could never afford to spend 300 dollars a week on the lottery and I have never bought a book of scratchers. Good luck to you.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: November 15, 2015, 8:58 am - IP Logged

I like to quantify it, because IMO posting up a nice 1K, 5K or 10K win is a little

misleading when you don't offer up how much you have invested prior to getting

that win. 1K wins are nice, but it's a little different when you were down $800 or 

maybe even down over 1K before you hit that win. Yes it's nice to see the 1K win,

but when a casual scratcher sees that, they can feel discouraged because their weekly

ticket or two hasn't been producing anything like that. It's a little different when you learn

that nice big winner was after a heck of a lot of losing scratches.

I don't shame people who don't share how much they play,  it's just for a little bit of a piece

of mind.

You really get what my original post was all about. It wasn't about making anyone feel bad for spending lots of money playing scratchers but it does put things in perspective when people spend a lot to get that win. I am truly happy for everyone who wins though.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                    Nova Scotia
                    Canada
                    Member #9934
                    December 27, 2004
                    891 Posts
                    Posted: November 15, 2015, 9:14 am - IP Logged

My brother spend's alot of money, on scratch lottery ticket's, and he doesn't win alot of money.

So, when I need help with buying groceries, he of course;, doesn't have the money to help me, buy food for the house!

I'd like to kick him out of the house when that happen's!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5763 Posts
                      Posted: November 15, 2015, 9:33 am - IP Logged

My brother spend's alot of money, on scratch lottery ticket's, and he doesn't win alot of money.

So, when I need help with buying groceries, he of course;, doesn't have the money to help me, buy food for the house!

I'd like to kick him out of the house when that happen's!

If he ever wins a sizable prize, do you think he's going to help then?

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

FLORIDA
                        United States
                        Member #127998
                        May 14, 2012
                        404 Posts
                        Posted: November 15, 2015, 11:10 am - IP Logged

Anyone (id say 98%) of people that say they are ahead or break even are not being truthful.  My first big win was a 5k ticket, thats great and all but it cost me about 7k to finally get it.  Ive also won a 10k tickets dont know how much it cost me but it didnt put me ahead.  Winnings have progressively gotten worse over the years, not just to win a $500 dollar ticket you will have to buy 4 or 5 thousand dollars worth of $20 (what i play) tickets.  now different areas may be different but this is fact for my area of jacksonville.

biggest hit 10k, Jubilee, 5K Miami Heat, 2K Emerald 8s, 1k jubilee, 1k GRT, 1k heat wave, multiple 500's

good luck in the chase 2013 wins, maybe 4 500's

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                          Nova Scotia
                          Canada
                          Member #9934
                          December 27, 2004
                          891 Posts
                          Posted: November 15, 2015, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

He spend's money on ticket's, instead of buying groceries.!

Florida
                            United States
                            Member #167757
                            July 29, 2015
                            373 Posts
                            Posted: November 15, 2015, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

It is a combination of both.  I've had some good wins from purchasing just a few tickets.  Other times, I've had to go through a lot of tickets to get a good win.  People can and do get lucky in spurts.  However, in the long run, you end up spending money to get frequent big wins.  Sometimes when I post a win, I'll give the background on how many tickets I bought, etc.  Other times, I won't.  Ultimately it is not anyone else's business.  The point of sharing the wins on this website is for other members to enjoy seeing other people who have won decent prizes on games.  Shaming people who post wins is not consistent with the spirit of the website.

I Agree! This.

Jacksonville
                              United States
                              Member #153806
                              March 26, 2014
                              363 Posts
                              Posted: November 15, 2015, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

You really get what my original post was all about. It wasn't about making anyone feel bad for spending lots of money playing scratchers but it does put things in perspective when people spend a lot to get that win. I am truly happy for everyone who wins though.

To clarify my original post, I think that it is up to whoever posts their win to decide whether they want to say how many tickets they purchased to get it.  The only exception is that you should be honest if you are going to post how many tickets you purchased to get that ticket.  There is a difference between leaving the number of tickets you purchased out versus misleading people to how many you purchased.  In either event, I think most people who view the posts are just interested in seeing people's wins.