Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is fantasy football like the lottery? Is it gambling?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 1 year ago by gatorsrok.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
Green Bay
United States
Member #169391
October 15, 2015
1243 Posts
Posted: November 15, 2015, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

First it was Nevada now its New York.  The AG in those states say sites like Fanduel are gambling. Fanduel says its not gambling, they say its a game of skill.  Well.......After watching the game between the Packers and the Lions today.....I'd say its a game of gambling.  The Pack should have won that one!

Never give up.  Banana

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
    Member #106923
    February 27, 2011
    476 Posts
    Posted: November 15, 2015, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

First it was Nevada now its New York.  The AG in those states say sites like Fanduel are gambling. Fanduel says its not gambling, they say its a game of skill.  Well.......After watching the game between the Packers and the Lions today.....I'd say its a game of gambling.  The Pack should have won that one!

In fantasy football players can pick players based on their performance stats.  If all of the players they picked hit (play well) the player is rewarded with a cash prize.

In the lottery players can pick numbers based on their performance stats.  If all of the numbers they picked hit the player is rewarded with a cash prize.

Seems both can have a level of 'skill' involved in determining picks.  Not that I like it, but I can see where this one is going to end...  Ending.

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
      Green Bay
      United States
      Member #169391
      October 15, 2015
      1243 Posts
      Posted: November 15, 2015, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Haha Jim...Pigs get fed, Hogs get slaughtered.   Like that.   Does that apply to the stock market?  LOL!

Never give up.  Banana

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
        Member #106923
        February 27, 2011
        476 Posts
        Posted: November 15, 2015, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

Haha Jim...Pigs get fed, Hogs get slaughtered.   Like that.   Does that apply to the stock market?  LOL!

If you think about it, it applies to many aspects of life.  Wink

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7297 Posts
          Posted: November 15, 2015, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

Fantasy sports wagering is more like raffles, horse racing betting, and tournament poker; the players are betting against the other players and not the house. Nevada has legal sports betting so it's obvious why they would ban fantasy betting. New York said it violates existing state law, but Fanduel and Draftking will appeal and already asked their over 600,000 NY players to send emails to the Attorney General.

Jacksonville
            United States
            Member #153806
            March 26, 2014
            345 Posts
            Posted: November 15, 2015, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

The real reason the NY Attorney General is targeting DraftKings and FanDuel is because those websites are drawing money away from the NY lottery and the Wall Street gambling establishments.  The Attorney General only cares because money paid by New Yorkers to the online fantasy football websites could be paid to the NY lottery.  I bet the NY Attorney General would reconsider his position if the fantasy football websites paid a "fee" to do business in NY.