Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Fed up pissed off disappointed mistrust of NYS Lottery agency found out new info disturbing READ

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 12 months ago by rgse90.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ozone park
United States
Member #57042
December 15, 2007
274 Posts
Posted: December 12, 2015, 3:14 am - IP Logged

Well after all these years of playing game # 596 I really believe that I am throwing in the towel and I am not sure I will ever play again. 

Game 596 was put on the end of game report Aug 11, 2015 for last day to collect Aug 11, 2016. The game stayed on play because there is 1 last top prize unclaimed. So I called out to retailers and started to go and play the remaining cards and bought them. Today I went to a retailer who I knew had a book, that i told him I wanted to buy last week,  and was told that the agent came in last week and took the book. I heard this from 3 different retailers today and I had heard this back in July and August BUT assumed that they were relocating unopened books and putting them in locations for them to be sold. 

NOPE: I called the distribution center to find out where they relocated the book because I wanted to buy the whole book, only to be told that they took them and destroyed them. I went ballistic. I was so upset. I called the distribution center and said to the woman how do you destroy books from retailers, of unopened books when the last ticket could have been in those books. Her answer was well it could have also been in the pants that someone washed and they forgot about ti and it is gone. I said to her that is your answer. 

They are going around taking the books back when the game is still being sold for another 8 months yet they are destroying good books and now the top prize ticket could really be destroyed. Not only do they destroy ALL open books that go back they are now destroying unopened books. 

So I have taken it upon myself to write a letter and to send it to over 200 people within the state and federal government to investigate these claims and find out why and who authorized these agents to take good books and destroy them.  I cannot paste the letter here for you to see it and it is 2 pages long. I am sending the letter to every NYC council member, NYS Assembly member, NYS Senator, NYS congressman, the 2 NYS Senators, The racing and wagering committee in the Senate and the assembly, Every district attorney in ALL counties, The federal DA's and the NYS attorney general. Is there anyone I forgot and left out. The list is 383 people plus the 3 local newspapers. 

I want to know what everyone thinks.

NY
    United States
    Member #167035
    June 22, 2015
    1340 Posts
    Posted: December 12, 2015, 8:12 am - IP Logged

Well after all these years of playing game # 596 I really believe that I am throwing in the towel and I am not sure I will ever play again. 

Game 596 was put on the end of game report Aug 11, 2015 for last day to collect Aug 11, 2016. The game stayed on play because there is 1 last top prize unclaimed. So I called out to retailers and started to go and play the remaining cards and bought them. Today I went to a retailer who I knew had a book, that i told him I wanted to buy last week,  and was told that the agent came in last week and took the book. I heard this from 3 different retailers today and I had heard this back in July and August BUT assumed that they were relocating unopened books and putting them in locations for them to be sold. 

NOPE: I called the distribution center to find out where they relocated the book because I wanted to buy the whole book, only to be told that they took them and destroyed them. I went ballistic. I was so upset. I called the distribution center and said to the woman how do you destroy books from retailers, of unopened books when the last ticket could have been in those books. Her answer was well it could have also been in the pants that someone washed and they forgot about ti and it is gone. I said to her that is your answer. 

They are going around taking the books back when the game is still being sold for another 8 months yet they are destroying good books and now the top prize ticket could really be destroyed. Not only do they destroy ALL open books that go back they are now destroying unopened books. 

So I have taken it upon myself to write a letter and to send it to over 200 people within the state and federal government to investigate these claims and find out why and who authorized these agents to take good books and destroy them.  I cannot paste the letter here for you to see it and it is 2 pages long. I am sending the letter to every NYC council member, NYS Assembly member, NYS Senator, NYS congressman, the 2 NYS Senators, The racing and wagering committee in the Senate and the assembly, Every district attorney in ALL counties, The federal DA's and the NYS attorney general. Is there anyone I forgot and left out. The list is 383 people plus the 3 local newspapers. 

do this sam - they should only be collecting the unopened books IF the top prizes are already gone

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #74096
      May 2, 2009
      22852 Posts
      Posted: December 12, 2015, 8:18 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        Happyland
        United States
        Member #146344
        September 1, 2013
        1129 Posts
        Posted: December 12, 2015, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

OK.........put on end of game report August 11, 2015?

They start collecting unsold books within 30 days from this date. Retailers may continue to sell books until the agent picks them up, unless all top prizes have been claimed. Last day to collect means prizes that have been sold but unclaimed. It does not mean they will sell books until this date.

This is not unusual, it is pretty standard in all the lotteries I am familiar with. You are wasting your time on a letter.

Btw, they have a loophole for selling books even if last top prize is sold. They can advertise there is 1 prize remaining as long as it has not yet been claimed. So for all you know it was already sold 2 months ago but the buyer hasn't claimed it yet. They have until August 2016 to do so.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

ozone park
          United States
          Member #57042
          December 15, 2007
          274 Posts
          Posted: December 12, 2015, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

You are dead wrong. I spoke to a local politician and he had no idea this was even going on. So if I sent this letter out to ALL 300 political elective officials and at least 12 responds I did my job. If everyone has that attitude nothing would ever get done. The game can, is and still being sold until Aug 11, 2016 period. You cannot tilt the game, you cannot remove tickets and you cannot tip the odds because of a loop hole. We have waited 7 years for this game to end and they could be purposely taking the top prize ticket out of circulation as to not pay it out, how do we know motives here. It is unfair, dishonest and mistrusting to allow lotto to get away with this with no questions asked. I am even considering hiring a lawyer to file an injunction to stop the removal of tickets until a judge can ear the case. There is no way this is honest and I can get a judge to side with me on this issue alone.

Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1129 Posts
            Posted: December 12, 2015, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

You are dead wrong. I spoke to a local politician and he had no idea this was even going on. So if I sent this letter out to ALL 300 political elective officials and at least 12 responds I did my job. If everyone has that attitude nothing would ever get done. The game can, is and still being sold until Aug 11, 2016 period. You cannot tilt the game, you cannot remove tickets and you cannot tip the odds because of a loop hole. We have waited 7 years for this game to end and they could be purposely taking the top prize ticket out of circulation as to not pay it out, how do we know motives here. It is unfair, dishonest and mistrusting to allow lotto to get away with this with no questions asked. I am even considering hiring a lawyer to file an injunction to stop the removal of tickets until a judge can ear the case. There is no way this is honest and I can get a judge to side with me on this issue alone.

Politicians know 0% about these games and only react to appease the public. Again, you are wasting your time. But suit yourself

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

ozone park
              United States
              Member #57042
              December 15, 2007
              274 Posts
              Posted: December 12, 2015, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

Yes I do agree with you that politicians know nothing about these games BUT we have 2 very powerful committees that are charged with making sure the lottery proceeds honesty and with the peoples trust. If not lotteries would fail and politicians know this. All it is going to take is one just 1 to read and care and that creates change. Remember that it took someone to report the fact that some retailers were switching tickets and claiming the winning tickets before people started to get arrested. Had that person never made the complainant it could still be going on with a system to catch them. Also I am thinking about hiring a lawyer to file an injunction to get a judge to listen to the oral arguments of what lottery is doing. That would create something won't it?

Happyland
                United States
                Member #146344
                September 1, 2013
                1129 Posts
                Posted: December 12, 2015, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Nothing wrong with trying to improve the system for consumers, but just know what you are getting yourself into.

The way things are now is pretty industry standard and as a result any lawsuit/injunction would fall on deaf ears

There is nothing legally wrong about what they are doing; after all, grocery stores pull product all the time even if it is still advertised on sale

Ethically wrong, maybe? But that wouldn't prove anything and you will likely walk away a little poorer thanks to lawyer fees

Good luck

ozone park
                  United States
                  Member #57042
                  December 15, 2007
                  274 Posts
                  Posted: December 12, 2015, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Yes but I thought that any game of chance has to have the same odds no matter what. Nothing can or should tilt the game one way or the other for anyone, anything, or any reasons. I am sure that somewhere along the lines this is a serious matter. To be honest with you, until I started to investigate and ask questions no one knew this was the standard. No one knew that good valid tickets were getting destroyed when a business folded. It was just assumed that they were being redistributed. I think that if this gets out and people know that this is the standard it could change. Not only that it i only serious when, like in this situation, the last top prize, which is worth at least 20 million, is not going to get claimed for this standard.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                    Member #164603
                    March 8, 2015
                    599 Posts
                    Posted: December 12, 2015, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

That sounds unfair to me too, would be one of the reasons not to buy scratchers.

You can upload the letter to scribd or a similar service.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3102 Posts
                      Posted: December 12, 2015, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

In Florida it has been my impression they reissue a second helping of popular games.  If they didn't pickup the old tickets it would skew the refreshed odds statement.  There is virtually no way to tell if that winning $2 ticket found under the sofa cushion is from the original game or the encore game and I don't know whether that extends the time to cash them in. 

I know it looked like an oppertunity.  Unhappy

BobP

I once received two letters from PCH each saying my winning number was among the short list provided and my number was the only number on both lists, so I won right?  Wouldn't even answer my mail.

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: December 12, 2015, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

"There is virtually no way to tell if that winning $2 ticket found under the sofa cushion is from the original game or the encore game"

Yeah, they should do something to fix that. Maybe they could put some kind of unique identifier on the winning tickets. Maybe a bar code or a series of numbers. As a bonus, a bar code could be used as a simple way to see if the ticket is a winner. Maybe somebody can suggest that to the lotteries.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                          NY
                          United States
                          Member #121961
                          January 21, 2012
                          3157 Posts
                          Posted: December 12, 2015, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Would you tell them their $8 prizes on $5 tickets are bs too. Just got 2 of them.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #167035
                            June 22, 2015
                            1340 Posts
                            Posted: December 13, 2015, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Would you tell them their $8 prizes on $5 tickets are bs too. Just got 2 of them.

I Agree! they keep getting more and more stingy

is hard to even find a scunion (or $100) these days

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                              Member #81314
                              October 16, 2009
                              18966 Posts
                              Posted: December 13, 2015, 10:55 am - IP Logged

Best of luck with all that.

The Struggle is real!