Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

theLotter privacy warning | passwords saved in clear text

Topic closed. 1 reply. Last post 12 months ago by realtorjim.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
Member #164603
March 8, 2015
604 Posts
Posted: December 17, 2015, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

So I admit I registered with thelotter to see if/how it would really work.

While registering and typing in all my info I somehow hit enter or the website cut off my password after x amount of letters.

So I tried to login with my password and it didn't work, I tried multiple times to have a replacement password/reset link emailed to me, ddn't work.

So I then contacted a customer agent in the web chat who told me she reset my password and to try again, I didn't work, once again, requesting a reset email didn't work.

So then she tells me she can help me guess my password, gives me the first three digits and the last. So I realize that the last letter is right in the middle of my password that I typed and that I somehow must have pressed enter or there was an input lag or whatever that "clipped" my password without me knowing.

Long story short: thelotter saves passwords in their database in clear text. I guess that is something to look out for.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
    Member #106923
    February 27, 2011
    476 Posts
    Posted: December 17, 2015, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

So I admit I registered with thelotter to see if/how it would really work.

While registering and typing in all my info I somehow hit enter or the website cut off my password after x amount of letters.

So I tried to login with my password and it didn't work, I tried multiple times to have a replacement password/reset link emailed to me, ddn't work.

So I then contacted a customer agent in the web chat who told me she reset my password and to try again, I didn't work, once again, requesting a reset email didn't work.

So then she tells me she can help me guess my password, gives me the first three digits and the last. So I realize that the last letter is right in the middle of my password that I typed and that I somehow must have pressed enter or there was an input lag or whatever that "clipped" my password without me knowing.

Long story short: thelotter saves passwords in their database in clear text. I guess that is something to look out for.

Make sure that is one you don't use for ANYTHING else!

Hiding Behind Computer

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!