Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

That sinking feeling you get when you find an error in a formula

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 months ago by RL-RANDOMLOGIC.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #35335
March 16, 2006
116 Posts
Posted: December 22, 2015, 9:17 am - IP Logged

Did Microsoft change something in the index() formula?  I found an error that I had not seen before in the last 15 years.  I should have validated the spreadsheet and recorded why I made some decision more often.  I don't recall why I needed to start the index at 1, but that made every number from that point forward need a -1 to fix it.  Today, the resultant array was wrong.  I set the index to start at 0 and remove the -1 fix and everything was better.

What mistakes have you made along the road to find a better system?

SirMetro's avatar - center
    East of Atlanta
    United States
    Member #6191
    August 11, 2004
    1389 Posts
    Posted: December 22, 2015, 9:22 am - IP Logged

eh...wait till it's a massive bid and your behind schedule and 10 minutes after sending the bid out, you realize a formula was wrong

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
      Ohio
      United States
      Member #49980
      February 21, 2007
      34138 Posts
      Posted: December 22, 2015, 9:26 am - IP Logged

I always say oh, well back to the drawing board.. keep at it untill you get it right... Happy Hoildays!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
        The Quantum Master
        West Concord, MN
        United States
        Member #21
        December 7, 2001
        3675 Posts
        Posted: December 22, 2015, 11:22 am - IP Logged

I think this would be a pretty boring existence if nothing went wrong.

A Quantum Universe is a Fun Universe.

Thank God for Chaos.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
        Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
        Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
        Knowledge is Beyond Belief
        Wisdom is Not Censored
        Douglas Paul Smallish
        Jehocifer

Kola's avatar - image
          Blundering Time Traveler

United States
          Member #28945
          December 25, 2005
          1528 Posts
          Posted: December 22, 2015, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

I think this would be a pretty boring existence if nothing went wrong.

A Quantum Universe is a Fun Universe.

Thank God for Chaos.

I Agree!

Legend says that The Craggy One was once asked about the Lottery Circle and the aged Lottery LoreKeeper whispered in his gravelly eloquence,"It is known among our kind that 2 successive draws are in reality the 2 center-points of 2 intersecting circles that share a common radius - a Root Center. This Vesica Piscis is the creative womb for all numbers, the Still Point from which two draws will unite & a new one is born. This "perfect" space is a wormhole through Time(Change). Master its proportions & your numerical predictions will not falter". 

Lincoln, California
            United States
            Member #167130
            June 27, 2015
            256 Posts
            Posted: December 22, 2015, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

I have found errors sometime after a few days of thinking I am really onto something.  I came close to posting some startling results only to discover it was crap.  I have the stinking feeling that there are more that I have not found.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7310 Posts
              Posted: December 23, 2015, 12:06 am - IP Logged

I always say oh, well back to the drawing board.. keep at it untill you get it right... Happy Hoildays!

Excellent example by showing how easy it is to misspell complicated words like "until" and "holidays".

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                Texas
                United States
                Member #150797
                December 31, 2013
                815 Posts
                Posted: December 23, 2015, 6:41 am - IP Logged

I have found errors sometime after a few days of thinking I am really onto something.  I came close to posting some startling results only to discover it was crap.  I have the stinking feeling that there are more that I have not found.

I know that feeling, AllenB!  My rule is "if it seems too good to be true, check your formulas"!  And the more complex and sophisticated our spreadsheets, the more likely it is that some error is lurking somewhere.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

United States
                  Member #33295
                  February 19, 2006
                  699 Posts
                  Posted: December 23, 2015, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

That sinking feeling you get when you find an error and fix it and you had better results WITH the error.

Isabel, you are going to feel very silly when this turns out to be make-believe.

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
                    LAS VEGAS
                    United States
                    Member #47729
                    November 22, 2006
                    4498 Posts
                    Posted: December 27, 2015, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

I know that feeling, AllenB!  My rule is "if it seems too good to be true, check your formulas"!  And the more complex and sophisticated our spreadsheets, the more likely it is that some error is lurking somewhere.

I Agree!

Even though a broken clock Emoji tells correct time twice a day, L@@K at how many times it's wrong for you! Wink

EKSun Smiley

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                      Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #49980
                      February 21, 2007
                      34138 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2016, 10:33 am - IP Logged

That sinking feeling you get when you find an error and fix it and you had better results WITH the error.

So true mistakes can give you better results sometimes..

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                        Member #59354
                        March 13, 2008
                        3971 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2016, 5:10 am - IP Logged

I once wrote a predictor program that had a build in back-test option.  I had big plans and thought

it would do very well over time.  I fired it up and hit the back-test button and it spit out a 3 of 5 for

the current game.  Each time the back-test button is pressed it dropped one line in the database 

and then using so many games from history it would try to predict the next draw.  OK, second

click, another 3of5 on one line.  Woo Hoo.  I clicked it again and bam a 4 of 5 hit on one line.  By

this time my heart was starting to pound.  I hit the back-test button a couple more times and the

big one came up.  Now I had to stand up and I was sure I could see a light from above shining

down on me.   I was thinking I should push something up against the door to protect myself by

this time.  I continued clicking the back-test button and was hitting a 5 of 5 around 1 in every 5

to 10 test.  By this time I was trying control my heart and breathing rate.  Long story short, it was

a error in the code.  Somehow I added a extra input statement which allowed the program to

include the numbers from the line it was trying to predict in the data it used to predict.  Talk about

a sinking feeling, that must be something like the pool who thought they won the power ball but

later found out they were using numbers from the previous draw.   When I see something like this

now I start looking for the error.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020