Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

HGTV Lottery Dream Home

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 10 months ago by lulu1feather.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
Member #118609
November 4, 2011
932 Posts
Posted: January 1, 2016, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

HGTV guide lists two NEW "My Lottery Dream Home" on right now and the next half hour but that is not what is on currently.  The one supposed to be on now is titled "New Jersey Minister Finds a Dream Home that Doubles as A Wedding Venue".  New Jersey Lottery winners have a total of $7 million to spend on a dream home.

Next show "Scratch Me Lucky California Dream Home".  Jackpot winners from California search for their dream home by the waterfront, with room for a boat and a pool.

Again not on but what is listed and they show "NEW" 2016.  Dont find them listed as a loop or the future so I dont know what is going on.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: January 1, 2016, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

My guide shows new one listed for 1/08 11PM EST no description, hope this helps.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
      Member #118609
      November 4, 2011
      932 Posts
      Posted: January 1, 2016, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Haymaker, that will be something I will keep an eye on.  I have pretty much given up on HGTV as it has changed so much and not for the better IMO but I do enjoy anything lottery related.

Wyomissing, PA
        United States
        Member #161050
        November 15, 2014
        301 Posts
        Posted: January 1, 2016, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

Wonder if there will be any mention in the program about property taxes. While such taxes vary widely, around 2% of assessed value, expressed in mills, is common in many places. If their dream home is assessed at say $4 million, at 2%, that's $80,000 in property tax per year! Hopefully, they've planned for that expense...

I suppose that's where "doubles as a wedding venue" may come in to help cover costs of owning such an expensive, large house. Another consideration is that such an overly expensive house can be bring unwanted attention, especially after the show airs, from thieves and scammers.

A low profile would seem the better approach, but some winners want to be noticed. Wish them the best, and hope it works out.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
          Member #142499
          May 13, 2013
          1182 Posts
          Posted: January 2, 2016, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

Did anyone watch it? How was it?

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
            Oregon
            United States
            Member #168137
            August 17, 2015
            124 Posts
            Posted: January 3, 2016, 1:34 am - IP Logged

Did anyone watch it? How was it?

I started it, but got distracted. It seemed like it was about people who had won, and planned to do something with the money. The first example I saw was a couple who won the $1,000 Lucky For Life ( Or something like that) and planned to renovate their home to better accommodate the small weddings they hosted in it. 

It may be more interesting if you get further than about 8 minutes in!

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
              Oregon
              United States
              Member #168137
              August 17, 2015
              124 Posts
              Posted: January 3, 2016, 3:45 am - IP Logged

upon further review, a walk through of the winners current home and lottery story, then what they are looking for, followed by a few tours of houses for sale that accommodate their wish list.

Much better now that I can sit down uninterrupted.

Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                Florida
                United States
                Member #77815
                August 1, 2009
                3459 Posts
                Posted: January 28, 2016, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

The show airs at 11 p.m. on Friday nights so most people probably miss it. I saw the last 2 episodes and I enjoyed it. They tell you how the won and the winners all seem to make realistic purchases. Nothing  too extravagant or over-the-top.

Guess Who's Back?

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: January 29, 2016, 10:22 am - IP Logged

The show airs at 11 p.m. on Friday nights so most people probably miss it. I saw the last 2 episodes and I enjoyed it. They tell you how the won and the winners all seem to make realistic purchases. Nothing  too extravagant or over-the-top.

Thanks for the info Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                    Member #118609
                    November 4, 2011
                    932 Posts
                    Posted: January 29, 2016, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Tonites show at 11:00 PST is about a young woman from Indianapolis who decides to move out of her parents home after winning $5 million from the Hoosier Lottery. David Bromstad is the host.

I am one who missed last weeks show.  Hope to see tonite's episode.

Florida
                      United States
                      Member #77815
                      August 1, 2009
                      3459 Posts
                      Posted: January 29, 2016, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

Tonites show at 11:00 PST is about a young woman from Indianapolis who decides to move out of her parents home after winning $5 million from the Hoosier Lottery. David Bromstad is the host.

I am one who missed last weeks show.  Hope to see tonite's episode.

Last week's episode was really good. The couple won $20 million in Mega Millions. Their budget was $1.5 million and they went with the house that was below their budget at $1.3  The house had everything they were looking for.

Guess Who's Back?

United States
                        Member #118609
                        November 4, 2011
                        932 Posts
                        Posted: January 29, 2016, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

Last week's episode was really good. The couple won $20 million in Mega Millions. Their budget was $1.5 million and they went with the house that was below their budget at $1.3  The house had everything they were looking for.

Thanks for the info Win, sorry now I missed it.  But if true to HGTV form it will be rerun.

So if they won $20 mil, after cash value (assuming the took lump sum) and taxes they would net maybe $5 - $6 mil?

I already found my dream home and is way expensive.  Nothing I need but a want with acreage, trees, view, multiple houses for family and location, location, location.   Now if the lottery numbers would cooperate, i will be calling the moving van.     See Ya!

Florida
                          United States
                          Member #77815
                          August 1, 2009
                          3459 Posts
                          Posted: February 6, 2016, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

The new episode featured a family that won $1 million on Powerball. Their budget was $800,000 but they ended spending $850K on a beach property.

Guess Who's Back?

United States
                            Member #118609
                            November 4, 2011
                            932 Posts
                            Posted: February 6, 2016, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Shoootz, I was actually watching Love it or List it and I fell asleep lol, missed the ending AND Lottery Dream Home.

That does not seem to be a good decision imo.  If they won a million their net will barely be enough to buy a $800,000 let alone a $850,000 home unless they, heaven forbid, took out a DREADED Mortg....mortga......mortgage???  Then how to pay for the maintenance, taxes, utilities and regular living expenses? 

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #150797
                              December 31, 2013
                              815 Posts
                              Posted: February 7, 2016, 8:19 am - IP Logged

The new episode featured a family that won $1 million on Powerball. Their budget was $800,000 but they ended spending $850K on a beach property.

I saw this one.  Struck me as highly improbable. 

They won $1Mil, no mention of taxes, etc.  In fact the host complimented the couple on "only" spending $800K of their win and being smart enough to put aside $200K for other expenses.

They would have taken home about $600K, so they were already putting $225K of their own money into the house, or taking out a second mortgage.  No mention of property taxes on Gulf Front property, which I imagine are pretty high.  Also security and house insurance would be a major expense with hurricane risk, house standing empty most of the time. 

'Course, she was an M.D., (he was a stay-at-home Dad) so I guess they could afford the extra expense. 

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein