Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do people get so emotional and would you tell anyone on big jackpots?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 11 months ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
wander73's avatar - Lottery-038.jpg
Philadelphia, PA
United States
Member #153774
March 24, 2014
884 Posts
Posted: January 1, 2016, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

My dad wants to play the powerball because the anuity is where it is.   Apparently I have been following this site a lot lately and reading different opinions.   I don't think it's worth it and I don't like the powerball setup anymore.  He wants to play $45.

He also wants computer picks where I like to see what members decide what numbers and combos they feel.   I don't think anyone is hitting this jackpot yet and will grow to up to $675 million or more.  Honestly I like megamillions better.  But I sense something about the lottery that is different.

Good luck everyone and I do hope someone on here hits both of them.

If I were to hit I don't tell anyone especially in our technology age.  If a reporter asked me what I was going to do with the lottery winnings my answer is this.  It's something for me to know and you to find out.   Ya really think I am going to tell.

United States
    Member #169365
    October 13, 2015
    135 Posts
    Posted: January 1, 2016, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Powerball is $2/play, so your old man will have to shell out even numbered dollars.

70% of JP winners in draw games are on QP's.

There's a thread in the 'lottery discussion' sub-forum (2nd page) titled: 'Are You Ready For The Attention', which covers your final statement.

Groppo's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
      Member #162631
      January 7, 2015
      504 Posts
      Posted: January 1, 2016, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

My dad wants to play the powerball because the anuity is where it is.   Apparently I have been following this site a lot lately and reading different opinions.   I don't think it's worth it and I don't like the powerball setup anymore.  He wants to play $45.

He also wants computer picks where I like to see what members decide what numbers and combos they feel.   I don't think anyone is hitting this jackpot yet and will grow to up to $675 million or more.  Honestly I like megamillions better.  But I sense something about the lottery that is different.

Good luck everyone and I do hope someone on here hits both of them.

If I were to hit I don't tell anyone especially in our technology age.  If a reporter asked me what I was going to do with the lottery winnings my answer is this.  It's something for me to know and you to find out.   Ya really think I am going to tell.

The Powerball sure has ridiculous odds, no doubt.
      But, you need to play and play and play.

We must all play, and play happily, to win.
      For when we win, we have done it! 

Perhaps the jp will grow to such an amount as you suggest.
      It won't be the first time. And, if it does, I suspect it won't be the last either.

Let's all play seriously, this year. Let's play like we mean it.

(what on earth am I talking about? I shouldn't bug these people with my do-goody-good nonsense.  Let them play their own way.
      Well, uh.. . OK. . .
      And another thing, when am I going to get a hair cut and shave this ridiculous beard?
      Well, I uh. . . .)

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
        Greenville, SC
        United States
        Member #169870
        November 4, 2015
        374 Posts
        Posted: January 1, 2016, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

It does kinda piss me off that some people will only play when the jackpot gets high. I'm a regular player. So, I'm constantly contributing to those large jackpots. As far as telling anyone, I try to buy my tickets in anonymous states. If it goes to a Billion, and there's a sole winner, I don't think they have a choice on whether to be made known to the public.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
          Greenville, SC
          United States
          Member #169870
          November 4, 2015
          374 Posts
          Posted: January 1, 2016, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

I saw a piece on a guy who spent $600,000 on Florida lottery tickets over a decade. He ended up winning $13 million. He got his money back and then some.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
            Lavender Rocket

United States
            Member #124616
            March 16, 2012
            2642 Posts
            Posted: January 1, 2016, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

It does kinda piss me off that some people will only play when the jackpot gets high. I'm a regular player. So, I'm constantly contributing to those large jackpots. As far as telling anyone, I try to buy my tickets in anonymous states. If it goes to a Billion, and there's a sole winner, I don't think they have a choice on whether to be made known to the public.

I'm glad when others play - the more that play - the bigger the jackpot will grow. 

and why do people get so emotional?  money tends to do that to people. whether its too little (stressed about not being able to pay the bills or living from paycheck to paycheck) or not agreeing a workable budget? all the way to - "be still my fainting heart - we WON".

and what's worse is all those who are jealous, envious, covetous, or any other nasty non-friendly -ous words.

so would/should you tell anyone?  that depends on your situation and your level of desire to shine in your own version of kardashian-styled fame.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19828 Posts
              Posted: January 2, 2016, 1:43 am - IP Logged

Powerball is $2/play, so your old man will have to shell out even numbered dollars.

70% of JP winners in draw games are on QP's.

There's a thread in the 'lottery discussion' sub-forum (2nd page) titled: 'Are You Ready For The Attention', which covers your final statement.

Maybe he wants to add the extra dollar for the powerplay, $3 goes in $45 fifteen times. Wink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #165541
                April 12, 2015
                545 Posts
                Posted: January 2, 2016, 1:55 am - IP Logged

Humans just happen to be emotional creatures.

And I know because I am the GREATEST!!!

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: January 2, 2016, 4:06 am - IP Logged

"I don't think anyone is hitting this jackpot yet"

I can guarantee that nobody will win this time, next time, or any time at all if they don't play the winning numbers.

"70% of JP winners in draw games are on QP's."

PB says 70 to 80%. Not coincidentally, 70 to 80% of tickets sold are  QP's.

The only thing that determines if a ticket wins is the numbers on the ticket. It doesn't matter how those numbers were chosen and it doesn't matter how big the jackpot is. I pick my own numbers, but it's not because they're any better than some random set of numbers from the terminal. I've got no idea what the winning numbers will be, so I choose numbers that are less likely to be played by others and hope they hapen to be drawn. If I somehow knew that the winning numbers would be 1,2,3,4,5+6 I'd play those numbers in a heartbeat even though I know that hundreds or thousands of other people would  be playing them. Of course, if I knew I'd play them a thousand times.