Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Unclaimed Tickets

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 12 months ago by mustang429.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Mass
United States
Member #68073
December 12, 2008
217 Posts
Posted: January 2, 2016, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

so the Massachusetts State lottery recently revealed statistics on an instant game called 4Million Dollar Texas Hold'em. It was a $10 ticket that ended last year. There were 10 $4million prizes and 50 $1million prizes offered in this game. Of those top prizes THREE of the $4million and SIX of the $1million were not presented for claim! So $18 million got tossed in the trash because the ticket took some general poker knowledge to understand. Insane! 

I know that people miss simple number matches and I have found lots of discarded winners but it sickens me to think of all that life changing money just tossed away. I am not screaming conspiracy here btw, just stating my astonishment is all.

ozone park
    United States
    Member #57042
    December 15, 2007
    274 Posts
    Posted: January 2, 2016, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

That is because people are lazy they think they know everything and some play just the codes on the sides or bottom which is stupid, some play and do not recheck and triple check their tickets nor do they even bring them in for validation anyway. You never know.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
      Lavender Rocket

United States
      Member #124616
      March 16, 2012
      2642 Posts
      Posted: January 26, 2016, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

We have been giving both RI & MA scratch'ers as Christmas gifts for years.  Funny thing is that several relatives just refuse to scratch their tickets as they prefer it being a Schrödinger's cat type of situation and would rather live in the mystery of "maybe".  Personally I think there must be some kind of medication for this attitude.

Coal Thumb's avatar - Lottery-052.jpg
        NY
        United States
        Member #169635
        October 25, 2015
        80 Posts
        Posted: January 26, 2016, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

When I play that way, I scratch off enough of the ticket to know the minimum I'll win. Like if I see a 5x and a match on a $5 game I know I have at least 30 (or whatever the next possible payout is), then I'll save it for cash-in day where I'll be disappointed that it's only that much or ecstatic that I got money I wasn't counting on. 

It's a weird way to play, and I do it sometimes to self-limit my playing.

2 - super scunion | 1 - quad scunion | few - triple scunion | 1 - super funion | some - double scunion | 1 - triple funion | lost count - scunion/funion

$1 - FTY | $2 - HUN | $3 - ZSA | $5/ $10 - FVH | $20 - UKA (playbook - HUN) | $25 - OQA | $30 ???

Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #109275
          April 9, 2011
          1503 Posts
          Posted: January 27, 2016, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

so the Massachusetts State lottery recently revealed statistics on an instant game called 4Million Dollar Texas Hold'em. It was a $10 ticket that ended last year. There were 10 $4million prizes and 50 $1million prizes offered in this game. Of those top prizes THREE of the $4million and SIX of the $1million were not presented for claim! So $18 million got tossed in the trash because the ticket took some general poker knowledge to understand. Insane! 

I know that people miss simple number matches and I have found lots of discarded winners but it sickens me to think of all that life changing money just tossed away. I am not screaming conspiracy here btw, just stating my astonishment is all.

Are you sure it was users that tossed them? I have seen the lottery end games and burn the remaining, with jackpots left. I don't know how Massachusetts does it, but at least in PA we have the barcode to self check. I self check 99% of my tickets cause I have missed winners before. Too easy to be in the " Lottery sucks and I lost" mindset and totally miss a winning #. I think the lottery does it on purpose in hopes they don't have to payout. Alot of close #'s that can get you cross eyed.

Mass
            United States
            Member #68073
            December 12, 2008
            217 Posts
            Posted: January 28, 2016, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

Are you sure it was users that tossed them? I have seen the lottery end games and burn the remaining, with jackpots left. I don't know how Massachusetts does it, but at least in PA we have the barcode to self check. I self check 99% of my tickets cause I have missed winners before. Too easy to be in the " Lottery sucks and I lost" mindset and totally miss a winning #. I think the lottery does it on purpose in hopes they don't have to payout. Alot of close #'s that can get you cross eyed.

Mass does not pull tickets until all top prizes are claimed. This game was easy for non poker playing people to miss winners. State does not have ticket checkers either which needs to change! Clerks can only check them visually because if they scan more than one loser the system forces them to validate all tickets by a more cumbersome process.

mustang429's avatar - disney22
              Florida
              United States
              Member #172386
              January 22, 2016
              33 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2016, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

Found a $10 Gold Rush (Florida) sitting in the trash today.

Picked it up and checked it, turned out to be a $50 winner. Banana