Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why did they change the Powerball?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 11 months ago by thebizdude.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
wander73's avatar - Lottery-038.jpg
Philadelphia, PA
United States
Member #153774
March 24, 2014
852 Posts
Posted: January 4, 2016, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Until I figure out the megamillions and which numbers I can hit,  why did the Powerball people decide to change the format.  Okay so they won't award 10x unless the amt is below $125million.   I see the word matrix.  What does that mean?   Am I missing something? 

Sorry about any grammar issues but  I was curious from many members.

catmeds's avatar - Cardinal
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    United States
    Member #54454
    August 19, 2007
    208 Posts
    Posted: January 5, 2016, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

I've totally lost any interest in playing with the ridiculous increase in odds. Not that I was winning anything more than a few bucks when I picked my own numbers (not every time although often enough it was fun) but I could pretend that all my crazy number logic could possibly fall in to place at the right time....Now I feel my notebook is useless until this new version of the game plays out for awhile and I start over. Our office pools together so I had money to play with each time but for now I'm just going back to buying quick picks.

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1492 Posts
      Posted: January 5, 2016, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

Look at the lottery as a business, and what does the business want to make, money.

wander73's avatar - Lottery-038.jpg
        Philadelphia, PA
        United States
        Member #153774
        March 24, 2014
        852 Posts
        Posted: January 5, 2016, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

@Catmeds  I don't understand people.  This lottery used to be fun.  BTW years ago back in late 90's there was a 6 hr wait when the lottery hit over I think $400 million and the tri state mall which is nothing now in Delaware had a line.  the news media was out.  Get this.  The line went down the street to almost i-95.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #94283
          July 17, 2010
          2284 Posts
          Posted: January 5, 2016, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

@Catmeds  I don't understand people.  This lottery used to be fun.  BTW years ago back in late 90's there was a 6 hr wait when the lottery hit over I think $400 million and the tri state mall which is nothing now in Delaware had a line.  the news media was out.  Get this.  The line went down the street to almost i-95.

I remember lines here in Idaho too, wander.  The media used to go interview people in line for the evening news story.  I haven't seen a line in at least a decade, and I'm not sure why.  Maybe I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can find a line between 5:30 and 6 as people are going home from work.

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
            Greenville, SC
            United States
            Member #169870
            November 4, 2015
            374 Posts
            Posted: January 5, 2016, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

Bigger jackpots spur an influx of buying.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #165541
              April 12, 2015
              541 Posts
              Posted: January 5, 2016, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

Until I figure out the megamillions and which numbers I can hit,  why did the Powerball people decide to change the format.  Okay so they won't award 10x unless the amt is below $125million.   I see the word matrix.  What does that mean?   Am I missing something? 

Sorry about any grammar issues but  I was curious from many members.

My opinion, is that when they change the amount of balls, what they are really trying to do is disrupt the patterns.  So far it hasn't worked for them.  I personally prefer MM to PB for two reasons.

A) You can play the same wheel with the same amount of lines twice as long or for half the cost with Mega.

B) The bonus ball is much easier to guess in the Mega Millions, thus your chance at the larger prize is much better.

C) You still get a million for 5/5 with Mega.

D) I am not going to know what to do with 145 million, let alone a 450 million.

Maybe I would buy a new car, caviar, maybe a football team.

The only way I would consider PB is with a pool of people who don't go for easy picks.  And ten people in the pool minimum, and at most 20.  I would definately have to call on my A-team.

Idaho
                United States
                Member #76087
                June 18, 2009
                859 Posts
                Posted: January 5, 2016, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

My opinion, is that when they change the amount of balls, what they are really trying to do is disrupt the patterns.  So far it hasn't worked for them.  I personally prefer MM to PB for two reasons.

A) You can play the same wheel with the same amount of lines twice as long or for half the cost with Mega.

B) The bonus ball is much easier to guess in the Mega Millions, thus your chance at the larger prize is much better.

C) You still get a million for 5/5 with Mega.

D) I am not going to know what to do with 145 million, let alone a 450 million.

Maybe I would buy a new car, caviar, maybe a football team.

The only way I would consider PB is with a pool of people who don't go for easy picks.  And ten people in the pool minimum, and at most 20.  I would definately have to call on my A-team.

Hey SilverLion, it never occurred to me that a change in the number of balls might be an attempt to disrupt the patterns.  Interesting idea!

Thanks for the comparison on the two games.  I haven't played either one in so long (since number lines were lengthened) and I didn't even realize MM went down to 15 with the megaballs.  That is rather appealing.  And only $1/ line; $2 at most.  That's another plus.

La Maga Della Spaziometria

Groppo's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                  Member #162631
                  January 7, 2015
                  502 Posts
                  Posted: January 5, 2016, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

I've totally lost any interest in playing with the ridiculous increase in odds. Not that I was winning anything more than a few bucks when I picked my own numbers (not every time although often enough it was fun) but I could pretend that all my crazy number logic could possibly fall in to place at the right time....Now I feel my notebook is useless until this new version of the game plays out for awhile and I start over. Our office pools together so I had money to play with each time but for now I'm just going back to buying quick picks.

Please, play your quick picks one time only.   Then, with the random numbers that are generated, the next time your online, check the numbers to see if by any chance they've hit (the mega or power) before.  Very unlikely.

Then, plug those numbers into slips for you to play next time.

Let's, as a group, systematically "knock out" the possibilities by playing the same numbers, each time, as long as they've not hit.
                  No one should ever ask you which numbers you play. 
                  They're your "pet" numbers.

And then, one day, POW!  an unexpected winner.

(or me, or someone else, the man in the moon. . . . )

United States
                    Member #169365
                    October 13, 2015
                    135 Posts
                    Posted: January 6, 2016, 12:17 am - IP Logged

Please, play your quick picks one time only.   Then, with the random numbers that are generated, the next time your online, check the numbers to see if by any chance they've hit (the mega or power) before.  Very unlikely.

Then, plug those numbers into slips for you to play next time.

Let's, as a group, systematically "knock out" the possibilities by playing the same numbers, each time, as long as they've not hit.
                    No one should ever ask you which numbers you play. 
                    They're your "pet" numbers.

And then, one day, POW!  an unexpected winner.

(or me, or someone else, the man in the moon. . . . )

But the same numbers do hit.  They're called 'hot' numbers.  You can't ignore trends - even if they're somewhat sketchy to follow because the lottery does randomly choose which machine and set of balls are being used for each draw.

Hate to break the news to you, but LP'ers  (your so-called group) make up probably .000001% of people playing the lottery.  That's why people form pools.  Talking about doing that on here is ludicrous.

I'll tell you which numbers I play.  The ones that don't drop.  Big Smile