Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

60 days to decide if lump sum or annuity, 180 days to claim. Huh?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 11 months ago by mikeintexas.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
Member #164603
March 8, 2015
599 Posts
Posted: January 6, 2016, 5:34 am - IP Logged

So I read on some state lottery sites that you have 60 days time to decide whether you want your price as a lump sum or an annuity, but a whole 180 days to claim before you forfeit your prize.

Does anybody know if you can verify your win and register your lump sum decision before actually claiming?

My point is if I want to be paid the lump sum but want or need more than 60 days to assemble a team and a strategy, is that possible?

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49618 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2016, 8:26 am - IP Logged

So I read on some state lottery sites that you have 60 days time to decide whether you want your price as a lump sum or an annuity, but a whole 180 days to claim before you forfeit your prize.

Does anybody know if you can verify your win and register your lump sum decision before actually claiming?

My point is if I want to be paid the lump sum but want or need more than 60 days to assemble a team and a strategy, is that possible?

Which State gives you 60 Days to Decide if you want to Change from Annuity to Lump Sum?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Germany
      Member #164603
      March 8, 2015
      599 Posts
      Posted: January 6, 2016, 8:35 am - IP Logged

Which State gives you 60 Days to Decide if you want to Change from Annuity to Lump Sum?

Where did you read this in my post?

New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49618 Posts
        Posted: January 6, 2016, 9:40 am - IP Logged

Where did you read this in my post?

" So I read on some state lottery sites that you have 60 days time to decide whether you want your price as a lump sum or an annuity, but a whole 180 days to claim before you forfeit your prize. "

Germany
          Member #164603
          March 8, 2015
          599 Posts
          Posted: January 6, 2016, 9:47 am - IP Logged

" So I read on some state lottery sites that you have 60 days time to decide whether you want your price as a lump sum or an annuity, but a whole 180 days to claim before you forfeit your prize. "

Okay, my post doesn't mention changing from lump sum to annuity?

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
            Happy California
            United States
            Member #157856
            August 2, 2014
            1506 Posts
            Posted: January 6, 2016, 9:48 am - IP Logged

Each State, DC, and territory has their own rules. California gives you 365 days to claim and 60 days to decide on Lump Sum or Annuity. That 60-day clock starts when you claim your prize.

I plan to place my ticket in a bank's safety deposit box and use up to 3 months to get all my ducks lined up. I am too old and my health is not good so I will choose the Lump Sum.

Good Luck to all LP members and staff tonight!!!!US Flag

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
              NY
              United States
              Member #121961
              January 21, 2012
              3157 Posts
              Posted: January 6, 2016, 10:05 am - IP Logged

No. That would probably be asked after they verify it.

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49618 Posts
                Posted: January 6, 2016, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Okay, my post doesn't mention changing from lump sum to annuity?

When you buy a ticket you have to select Annuity or Lump Sum. The 60 Days give you the Option to change the Choice made at the time you Purchased the Ticket.

Happy California
                  United States
                  Member #157856
                  August 2, 2014
                  1506 Posts
                  Posted: January 6, 2016, 10:14 am - IP Logged

When you claim in CA there is the Claim form and the Jackpot Election form "Lump Sum or Annuity". Plus there are IRS tax forms to fill out too.

If you do not fill out the Jackpot Election form there and take it home you will need to have it notarized by a Public Notary. You will have to ask the Lottery officials how much time do you have to return it. Because I do not know.

Patriot

Germany
                    Member #164603
                    March 8, 2015
                    599 Posts
                    Posted: January 6, 2016, 10:33 am - IP Logged

When you buy a ticket you have to select Annuity or Lump Sum. The 60 Days give you the Option to change the Choice made at the time you Purchased the Ticket.

Ah, okay, I didn't know there were playslips were you could specify before claiming which payout you want.

Germany
                      Member #164603
                      March 8, 2015
                      599 Posts
                      Posted: January 6, 2016, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Each State, DC, and territory has their own rules. California gives you 365 days to claim and 60 days to decide on Lump Sum or Annuity. That 60-day clock starts when you claim your prize.

I plan to place my ticket in a bank's safety deposit box and use up to 3 months to get all my ducks lined up. I am too old and my health is not good so I will choose the Lump Sum.

Good Luck to all LP members and staff tonight!!!!US Flag

So in Cali one could claimafter 365 days and have another 60 days to make up ones mind on how tobe paid, so you have up to 425 days to receive your money if you so choose.

Happy California
                        United States
                        Member #157856
                        August 2, 2014
                        1506 Posts
                        Posted: January 6, 2016, 10:42 am - IP Logged

I would call my Lottery District Office to confirm that. I do not know.

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
                          Greenville, SC
                          United States
                          Member #169870
                          November 4, 2015
                          374 Posts
                          Posted: January 6, 2016, 11:14 am - IP Logged

In Texas, its on the play slip. You have to decide right then if you want the lump sum or annuity.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
                            Member #131594
                            August 14, 2012
                            171 Posts
                            Posted: January 6, 2016, 11:18 am - IP Logged

I've read that the 60 day rule for choosing the annuity or cash option has to more to do with an IRS rule not a lottery rule.  Notice how that 60 days to choose is consistent across all the US lotteries while the time frame for ticket expiration varies. 

I also have seen many lotteries say you have 60 days from when you validate the ticket and others say 60 days from when you win but it was explained to me recently you don't really win until the lottery validates the ticket.  Until that point you've only potentially won.

Lotto Lucy

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
                              Member #131594
                              August 14, 2012
                              171 Posts
                              Posted: January 6, 2016, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

I've read that the 60 day rule for choosing the annuity or cash option has to more to do with an IRS rule not a lottery rule.  Notice how that 60 days to choose is consistent across all the US lotteries while the time frame for ticket expiration varies. 

I also have seen many lotteries say you have 60 days from when you validate the ticket and others say 60 days from when you win but it was explained to me recently you don't really win until the lottery validates the ticket.  Until that point you've only potentially won.

I should have said the 60 days was consistent across all the US lotteries that offers that option.

Lotto Lucy