Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Vending Machines

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 11 months ago by DG1USA.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #64582
September 1, 2008
347 Posts
Posted: January 6, 2016, 8:13 am - IP Logged

Here in North Carolina, we can buy lottery tickets - both ticketed and scratch-offs - from vending machines. Some stores make you validate your age by scanning your driver's license before taking money. Other ones just let you put the money directly in.

My question is:  if I use the vending machine that needs to scan my driver's license - does it retain that information/send it to the lottery commission? If I purchase the winning Powerball ticket from one, I'd rather stay as anonymous as possible (which really isn't allowed in my state, but still, I want some control.)

It just kinda freaks me out.

(And yes, I could buy them at a different store that doesn't make you scan your DL, but I love this store!)

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3157 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2016, 10:27 am - IP Logged

I hope not. When i visit family in NC i have to use my sisters old license. It's only used for verifying your of age. I also found out there some clerks can deactivate the machine with a remote after i asked them to turn it off.

Wyomissing, PA
      United States
      Member #161050
      November 15, 2014
      301 Posts
      Posted: January 6, 2016, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

When in doubt, assume the information is being stored, shared, and likely used for other purposes too, such as marketing (not necessarily directly, but such as collecting demographic information; residence, age, sex, etc). On the other hand, it's possible, the machine only checks the date and doesn't store much, if any data. However, to reiterate, when in doubt, assume the worst when it comes to data collection.

Even if such data is being stored, shared, etc, it's near certainly not being cross-matched for smallish wins by taxing authorities. So little to no worry about the IRS, etc; most lottery players lose more than they win.

While one should be able to buy lottery tickets, cough medicine, cigarettes, alcohol, drain cleaner, etc without being carded, the reality is that ship has sailed. Data collection is bigger than ever. Just assume everything one does is being monitored. But on the other hand, all that data often isn't of much use when government resources are stretched thin; bigger fish to fry.

Maryland
        United States
        Member #162434
        January 2, 2015
        891 Posts
        Posted: January 6, 2016, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

When in doubt, assume the information is being stored, shared, and likely used for other purposes too, such as marketing (not necessarily directly, but such as collecting demographic information; residence, age, sex, etc). On the other hand, it's possible, the machine only checks the date and doesn't store much, if any data. However, to reiterate, when in doubt, assume the worst when it comes to data collection.

Even if such data is being stored, shared, etc, it's near certainly not being cross-matched for smallish wins by taxing authorities. So little to no worry about the IRS, etc; most lottery players lose more than they win.

While one should be able to buy lottery tickets, cough medicine, cigarettes, alcohol, drain cleaner, etc without being carded, the reality is that ship has sailed. Data collection is bigger than ever. Just assume everything one does is being monitored. But on the other hand, all that data often isn't of much use when government resources are stretched thin; bigger fish to fry.

Good point! We don't have to put our DL in our machines, but I would NOT be happy if I had to do that. 

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #74096
          May 2, 2009
          22966 Posts
          Posted: January 6, 2016, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

Assume it is rather than is not. With talk of chip implantation for humans under the pretense
          of making life easier and hassle free, it would not surprise me that lotteries through the use of
          vending machines, collect information other than that you are of legal age to purchase.

Information of how often one plays what,  preference of games, age group of players, frequency
          of purchasing among other things would be useful in marketing tactics and data tallies for
          players to include wins - seems this type of registry would be somewhat complex but it could
          be done.

If you were to purchase a winning online game...PB, MM and used your license to verify your
          purchase ability, they WOULD know who you are and considering what state you are from AND
          considering what the rules are as far as being anonymous go in that state, they might very well
          have the option to announce YOU as winner. And probably long before you were ready to reveal
          yourself.

Don't take any chances if you can help it when it comes to data collecting. Most of us are probably
          recorded somewhere in some data collection base where the information 'harvested' from us is
          being used for, not what we intended but for the 'betterment' of us all in some devious, sneaky way.
          Sorry to sound like a horror movie, but, it is when things go beyond our control disguised as simple
          verification only purposes.

Btw, is there any message added to the tune of: We will not use your information for any purpose
          other than to verify your age?

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

The land of Canals
            United States
            Member #137589
            January 7, 2013
            168 Posts
            Posted: January 7, 2016, 9:32 am - IP Logged

Next they will be asking for fingerprints. Although it is unlikely at this point, I would not be surprised if down the road all lottery players must have a special chip inside their bodies to play.

God help us all!

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.” 
             Steve Martin

Cool

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
              Member #164603
              March 8, 2015
              614 Posts
              Posted: January 7, 2016, 9:35 am - IP Logged

Next they will be asking for fingerprints. Although it is unlikely at this point, I would not be surprised if down the road all lottery players must have a special chip inside their bodies to play.

God help us all!

With a little battery so you get zapped if you don't play. Poke

The land of Canals
                United States
                Member #137589
                January 7, 2013
                168 Posts
                Posted: January 7, 2016, 9:46 am - IP Logged

With a little battery so you get zapped if you don't play. Poke

That made me laugh! Thanks MaximumMillions!

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.” 
                 Steve Martin

Cool