Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What Happens If There Are Multiple Winners?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Romancandle.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #164725
March 12, 2015
368 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2016, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Let's say there are 40 winner at the current jackpot of 487 million post federal taxes or about 12 mil a winner. I think people would be disgusted.

The super large jackpot helps the lottery but it sure doesnt do much for the people playing it.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
    Member #164603
    March 8, 2015
    641 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2016, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Let's say there are 40 winner at the current jackpot of 487 million post federal taxes or about 12 mil a winner. I think people would be disgusted.

The super large jackpot helps the lottery but it sure doesnt do much for the people playing it.

Can't have it all, I'd gladly take 12M$

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
      Member #169277
      October 10, 2015
      630 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2016, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

I'd be happier to see the jackpot split 10, 20, 30, even 40 ways than I would be to see one person blow it all stupidly within a few years.

I think the odds are more in line with a 2 to 4 way split however.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        Happyland
        United States
        Member #146344
        September 1, 2013
        1131 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2016, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

lol....the odds of there being 40 winners are about 1 in 120,021,984,208,233,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Even the odds of 20 winners are about 1 in 2,015,332,095,834,670

Of course, this assumes random selection.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Warren, MI
          United States
          Member #149999
          December 14, 2013
          42 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2016, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

With the odds i predict there will be 2 or 3 winners at best. possible there will be only one winner

Arizona
            United States
            Member #165073
            March 24, 2015
            220 Posts
            Posted: January 10, 2016, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

If ticket sales are just a bit higher than for the last drawing (say, 470 million instead of 440 million), the probabilities are as follows:

20% chance of no winner;

16% chance of single winner;

38% chance of two-way split;

19% chance of three-way split;

5% chance of four-way split;

and a bit over a 1% chance of splitting five ways or more.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
              Lavender Rocket

United States
              Member #124616
              March 16, 2012
              2642 Posts
              Posted: January 10, 2016, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

If ticket sales are just a bit higher than for the last drawing (say, 470 million instead of 440 million), the probabilities are as follows:

20% chance of no winner;

16% chance of single winner;

38% chance of two-way split;

19% chance of three-way split;

5% chance of four-way split;

and a bit over a 1% chance of splitting five ways or more.

I would like to see it roll for 1 or 2 more times.  Get it up to a mind-blowing amount that will stay #1 for a while.  ensuring our place in history (yes kids - see that lottery jackpot there?  I played in it - and i have a ticket to prove it!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1958 Posts
                Posted: January 10, 2016, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Even if there are 10 winners, which most likely won't happen, the split would still be $130M apiece, with a cash option of $80.6M. That's about $46M after taxes here in the state of Indiana, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Gonna win.Big Smile

NH
                  United States
                  Member #83352
                  December 5, 2009
                  223 Posts
                  Posted: January 10, 2016, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't be disgusted if I won because I'd have double the amount than all other winners. Why? Because I buy 2 tickets of the same number when the Jackpot goes over 200 mil with the thought that they'd be mulitple winners. I just bought 5 quick picks from one store and went to another store and played those quik pic numbers. lol

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                    Happyland
                    United States
                    Member #146344
                    September 1, 2013
                    1131 Posts
                    Posted: January 10, 2016, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't be disgusted if I won because I'd have double the amount than all other winners. Why? Because I buy 2 tickets of the same number when the Jackpot goes over 200 mil with the thought that they'd be mulitple winners. I just bought 5 quick picks from one store and went to another store and played those quik pic numbers. lol

I was thinking about this last night.......buy 99 tickets with same numbers....hit the jackpot. Someone else also hits jackpot, but with 1 ticket. I bet they would be pissed. LOL

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
                    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

NH
                      United States
                      Member #83352
                      December 5, 2009
                      223 Posts
                      Posted: January 10, 2016, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

I was thinking about this last night.......buy 99 tickets with same numbers....hit the jackpot. Someone else also hits jackpot, but with 1 ticket. I bet they would be pissed. LOL

Oh many people will be pissed but it's brilliant. I buy my doubles from a different store so if i'm lucky enough to hit, they don't come back and say it was so sort of glitch in the system etc . You could also take cash on one ticket and annuity on the other. Although taking the Annuity isn't every bright when you see how PB pays it out. If you're really close to your family, you give a family member a winning ticket. So many other option open up when you have 2 winning tickets...lol

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                        Member #4877
                        May 30, 2004
                        5146 Posts
                        Posted: January 10, 2016, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

R55:

This thang has made PowerBall a household world wide "big" TIME rock and roll and roll to 950 to 1.3 BILLION with a B to be the 1st B jackpot $$$

Somethang is "different about it not getting "HIT" on Saturday 1/9/2016...because, all those Quick Picks should

have won.............................IT ................BUT, BUTT there would not have been that BILLION JACKPOT $$!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5146 Posts
                          Posted: January 10, 2016, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

R55:

Oh, by the way don't you worry about 40 winners or current powerball jackpots any more. This thing will be signed and sealed on JAN 13, 2916 $$

LUCK to you and all LP members >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^^^^^^^$

United States
                            Member #21574
                            September 11, 2005
                            138 Posts
                            Posted: January 10, 2016, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

Don't play any fortune cookie numbers.

Do you remember what happened the last time ?

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                              Happy California
                              United States
                              Member #157856
                              August 2, 2014
                              1552 Posts
                              Posted: January 10, 2016, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

Can I mention pools?  California allows 100 players in a pool. Wink

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb