Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Now that a jackpot is over $1 billion...

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 11 months ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2016, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

...at what point are people going to want to see it go to $2 billion?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NH
    United States
    Member #83352
    December 5, 2009
    223 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2016, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

I think a billion was the magic number. Anything over that really doesn't matter much imop. Although a billion cash option is probably the next milestone people would want to see...

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
      Happyland
      United States
      Member #146344
      September 1, 2013
      1129 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2016, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

I think there will be a point of diminishing returns.....players will get tired of standing in lines, pouring money into a game that doesn't pay out.

Then again, I'm sure many thought $100 million or even $500 million was the magic number.

I know that jackpot fatigue is a real concern for lottery officials and it is my understanding they are planning jackpot management for future changes. More than likely they will cap the pot at some arbitrary level (i.e. $2 billion) and have a cascading feature. The next matrix change is schedule for 2017 so we'll have to see how the jackpot behavior plays out between now and then. At the moment we are really in uncharted territory, and the lotteries are watching closely.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

LottoMetro,

All that you said is true.

I was thinking of the greed and ego factors.

"If I couldn't be the first to win $1B then I'll be the first to win $2B".......that kind of thing.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
          Member #133462
          September 30, 2012
          5946 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

It might hit the 2b mark this lap. There are 3 more days of play. We'll soon see

"Everything works  ONCE!"

Romancandle's avatar - moon
            Upacreek
            United States
            Member #136306
            December 8, 2012
            428 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2016, 12:13 am - IP Logged

Yep... I'm guessing real soon... too soon Crazy

-RC

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
              LAS VEGAS
              United States
              Member #47729
              November 22, 2006
              4495 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2016, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

Hi Coin

SAD ANSWER:
              When they realize that the only reliable way to predict the future is to create it - i.e. a managed losing proposition for the players?

Fortuna

Eddessa_Knight Sun Smiley

United States
                Member #149995
                December 14, 2013
                47 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2016, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

People love to see Record be broken.  It's like Star Wars Broke Avatar All time Record in box office in USA.

It use to be 300 million is a big deal. Now it raise the bar once again.  1 Billion dollars Jackpot will became normal in the next 5 Years.

This guy name MIke Wittkowski.  He use to get death threat and became famous winning the largest lottery jackpot.  He only won 40 million dollars in 1980

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3300 Posts
                  Posted: January 11, 2016, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

i think once this is over people will lose interest in jackpot fever. meaning longer and possibly slower jackpots building

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: January 11, 2016, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

People love to see Record be broken.  It's like Star Wars Broke Avatar All time Record in box office in USA.

It use to be 300 million is a big deal. Now it raise the bar once again.  1 Billion dollars Jackpot will became normal in the next 5 Years.

This guy name MIke Wittkowski.  He use to get death threat and became famous winning the largest lottery jackpot.  He only won 40 million dollars in 1980

spicydavid2005,

The printer from Chicago that said he'd keep working?

Lep