Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 5:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Interesting happening within our lottery-pool at work... no not really

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 1 year ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
Lavender Rocket

United States
Member #124616
March 16, 2012
2642 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2016, 4:52 am - IP Logged

Ok - so everyone is excited about the Billion dollar+ jackpot.  I get that - I'm excited as well.  I am part of a small yet intense lottery-pool at work.  20+ in the group depending on whomever pays for that week.  Simple enough.  A different person (rotating) buys tickets each week to share the "responsibility" - and then scans all tickets and emails them to the playing members.

So far so good - yes?  Welp - just got an email from this week's buyer.  She decided (all on her own) that we needed to buy MORE tickets since the jackpot is so high.  - this is her first time as buyer and she will buy Wednesday 13th and Saturday 16th draws)

she decided that we each needed (NEEDED) to pay an additional 50$ per person - and since she was able to find a terminal (local Shell gas station) that didnt have a line - she "prepaid" for everyone in the group... all 27 of us who have been part of the pool in the last year.  Since she has a tight budget she is expecting us to pony up with our 50$ bright and early Monday morning.

I'm not.  Each week prior to this - we put in 6$ each for 1 draw of pb & mm per draw date... It's not the question of whether or not I could/can afford 50$ - I can, this just feels wrong on so many levels and I expect some of our less-than calm members to blow a gasket.

Has anyone run into this type of cavalier behavior within your groups?  dh thinks I should just plop down my 50$ with a statement that I am OUT of the pool after this week.  I want to wring her lily-white neck.

ny, new york
    United States
    Member #170896
    December 23, 2015
    7 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2016, 6:46 am - IP Logged

she is in it to win it, pony up the $50 and enjoy the ride.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #77167
      July 15, 2009
      568 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2016, 7:05 am - IP Logged

She was wrong not to ask before making the decision on her own.  Now you have to decide if you are going along with it or not.  Tough decision.  Good luck.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
        Florida
        United States
        Member #61435
        May 22, 2008
        910 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2016, 7:43 am - IP Logged

Lurking Let us know how it goes.   I do not play work pools any longer but when I did our agreement spelled out exactly how much each person contributed per week.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:07 am - IP Logged

she is in it to win it, pony up the $50 and enjoy the ride.

I would be pissed if someone decided on my behalf to spend 50 more dollars without asking me. And no I would not pony up the money. You ask someone before spending that kind of money. Not everyone has $50 dollars to spend on playing the lottery. Maybe the 6 dollars was the limit for some of Maximumfun's coworkers. It wasn't that ladies choice to make.

I'm betting you're going to have a lot of angry coworkers, Maximumfun. Also, as a group, I would discuss not allowing her to buy tickets anymore.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
            Member #171720
            January 11, 2016
            19 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2016, 10:19 am - IP Logged

This is unfortunate as it sounds like you all have a pretty good lottery pool going on. Scanning the tickets and sending them to everyone before the drawing is good practice. I would also be sure that everyone has read and signed a written agreement before each drawing which is signed and dated by each participant and clearly states which draw date(s) the agreement represents. We are talking BIG money here and if your pool was to win, there could be significant backstabbing without good documentation of the agreement (I personally do not participate in pools because of this reason). Even with a well done written agreement a good lawyer could be hired to dispute who gets what.

In regards to the "ticket buyer" from your pool buying $50.00 worth of EXTRA tickets for each pool participant.... This is extremely uncalled for in my opinion and I would be inclined to stick her with the bill and tell her to keep her tickets. She did not have the authority to spend yours or anyone elses money. Chances are, none of those tickets will be winners anyway and she will hopefully learn her lesson when she gets stuck with 100's of dollars worth of tickets. On the other hand, on the off chance that one of those tickets is the winner, you would NEVER forgive yourself for not ponying up the 50 dollars. On the bright side, paying the 50 dollars will get you into a huge pool of tickets for the biggest single Jackpot in the history of the world! After taxes we are talking approximately 800 million dollars split between 27 people means you would be entitled to about 29.6 Million dollars.

If all 27 people in your pool are contributing $50 that means each person will contribute 25 "plays" to your pool. That is 675 tickets or "plays" in total. This means your chances of winning the Jackpot go from over 292 million down to 1 in 432,891. To put that into a more clear context, your new chances of winning the Jackpot are 0.000231% (Still Extremely Unlikely).

Ultimately it is up to you, I would consider your current relationship with this person and how it could impact your work life if you decide not to pay the $50. The path of least resistance is to pay up and move on. I can tell you that I would gauge what others in the office are going to do and probably go with whatever the majority does. I would also demand that a written agreement be made for future draws and that if the ticket buyer decides to spend money on other participants behalf without asking those tickets are automatically included in the pool and the ticket buyer is stuck with the bill; I would say that would keep people from doing this in the future.

I would also be kinda upset that this wasn't a last minute purchase, why she didn't ask the group today and then buy the tickets tonight, tomorrow, or Wednesday is beyond me. Again, it's ultimately your decision and just thought I would provide you with an outsiders thoughts without making the decision for you.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
              Lavender Rocket

United States
              Member #124616
              March 16, 2012
              2642 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2016, 11:28 am - IP Logged

The decision as to what to do - taken out of my hands.  Wow has today been a crazed day thus far.  One of the 2 senior partners came by as 3 of my co-workers were going berzerk.  He (sr. ptnr) scooped up all the lottery tickets and marched into his office (into which I had never been until today - MAN is his office big and fabulous!).  1 by 1 we were each called into the office - he had a preliminary agreement drafted up for us to read - he gave us each the opportunity to pony up the extra 50$, and then based upon what we decided to do - he had his assistant plug in numbers - printed out a 'final' copy of the agreement (short & succinct) - his intern witnessed it, one of the other staff notarized it - and we were each whisked out, our copy in hand, for the next person. 

About 1.5 hours later it was all done.  He came out and told us that it was done and over.  That as of Sunday January 17th - the lottery pool in his office was finished, aka defunct and that no further conversation was to be had about it on company property during company time (even breaks and lunches).

What did I do?  I handed over my 50$ (as my dh had already strongly suggested I do) - listened, signed and left his office - all the time as silent as the dead - not even sure if I took a breath.  I doubt much work will be done today, as for me at least - I am still slightly shaking.  According to my agreement I have a 26/696 share of this pot for Wednesday and a 1/21 share for Saturday's draw.

I will not get involved in another lottery pool.  No, no, no.  I am too old to feel as if I just got called to the Principal's office for skipping classes.  My heart is still at an elevated beats/min. What I regret most?  My dh is going to laugh until he makes himself ill, when I tell him about this.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
                Member #133462
                September 30, 2012
                5946 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2016, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Very presumptuous on her part. If someone is prepared to spend other people's money or commit other people's resources to go big for this drawing can you imagine what others out there are spending in hopes of hitting it big? I could only hope that you guys hit big enough to at minimum compensate for the extra monies you had to shell out.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3857 Posts
                  Posted: January 11, 2016, 11:45 am - IP Logged

The decision as to what to do - taken out of my hands.  Wow has today been a crazed day thus far.  One of the 2 senior partners came by as 3 of my co-workers were going berzerk.  He (sr. ptnr) scooped up all the lottery tickets and marched into his office (into which I had never been until today - MAN is his office big and fabulous!).  1 by 1 we were each called into the office - he had a preliminary agreement drafted up for us to read - he gave us each the opportunity to pony up the extra 50$, and then based upon what we decided to do - he had his assistant plug in numbers - printed out a 'final' copy of the agreement (short & succinct) - his intern witnessed it, one of the other staff notarized it - and we were each whisked out, our copy in hand, for the next person. 

About 1.5 hours later it was all done.  He came out and told us that it was done and over.  That as of Sunday January 17th - the lottery pool in his office was finished, aka defunct and that no further conversation was to be had about it on company property during company time (even breaks and lunches).

What did I do?  I handed over my 50$ (as my dh had already strongly suggested I do) - listened, signed and left his office - all the time as silent as the dead - not even sure if I took a breath.  I doubt much work will be done today, as for me at least - I am still slightly shaking.  According to my agreement I have a 26/696 share of this pot for Wednesday and a 1/21 share for Saturday's draw.

I will not get involved in another lottery pool.  No, no, no.  I am too old to feel as if I just got called to the Principal's office for skipping classes.  My heart is still at an elevated beats/min. What I regret most?  My dh is going to laugh until he makes himself ill, when I tell him about this.

I call that "the kindergarten punishment"

one person screws up, everyone gets punished !

It's designed by weak leaders to make everyone hate the person that screwed up,

and it is quite effective.

My guess is the one that bought the extra tix w/out consulting the pool will soon be looking for another Job.

I hope your pool wins big and all of you quit !

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19891 Posts
                    Posted: January 11, 2016, 11:52 am - IP Logged

Before I retried I was in a work pool but the person buying the tickets only used the money collected before the sale to buy tickets for the pool, anything more was on them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                      Member #171720
                      January 11, 2016
                      19 Posts
                      Posted: January 11, 2016, 11:57 am - IP Logged

That is a sad outcome but probably for the best. Pools can go bad very quick, especially if you win a big Jackpot. Sounds like your boss knows what he is doing and I actually commend him for the way he handled the situation. There was a disruption in the office taking away from company time. It ultimately cost the company several hours of pay for no return. This senior partner has now made your pool as official it can be, written agreement with signatures and even 3rd party whiteness's and he has taken care of any future lottery pool problems in the future. He basically said what you and your co-workers want to do outside of work is your business but don't bring it to work. I personally won't participate in a lottery pool because of situations just like this and many others. If I win a Jackpot I want to win free and clear.

South Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #18322
                        July 9, 2005
                        1743 Posts
                        Posted: January 11, 2016, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

If the Buyer purchased a lot of extra Powerball tickets and WON ANYTHING or WON the JACKPOT, YOU would be claiming that YOU are entitled to a part of the winnings, even thought YOU did NOT contribute as much $$ money $$ to the pool as everyone else did.  The rest of the pool members might then have a problem with splitting the winnings with YOU, b/c YOU did not carry your part of the financial burden of the cost of all of the tickets in the first place !!! 

If You only contribute $6.00, then arguably You're only entitled to the win from 6 of the ticketsQuestion is, which 6 tickets are you entitled to ???  If the Buyer purchases 100 tickets from the extra money, that You did Not contribute to, and your pool wins something, are YOU entitled to a part of the winnings $$$ from ticket # 100 ???

It was wise of You to pay the extra $50 to be entitled to a fair share of any money $$$ won.

It was also wise to have a formal agreement drawn up, that entitles You to 26/696 of any money $$$ won on Wed 1/13, or 1/21 of any $$$ winnings on Sat 1/16.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19891 Posts
                          Posted: January 11, 2016, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

If the Buyer purchased a lot of extra Powerball tickets and WON ANYTHING or WON the JACKPOT, YOU would be claiming that YOU are entitled to a part of the winnings, even thought YOU did NOT contribute as much $$ money $$ to the pool as everyone else did.  The rest of the pool members might then have a problem with splitting the winnings with YOU, b/c YOU did not carry your part of the financial burden of the cost of all of the tickets in the first place !!! 

If You only contribute $6.00, then arguably You're only entitled to the win from 6 of the ticketsQuestion is, which 6 tickets are you entitled to ???  If the Buyer purchases 100 tickets from the extra money, that You did Not contribute to, and your pool wins something, are YOU entitled to a part of the winnings $$$ from ticket # 100 ???

It was wise of You to pay the extra $50 to be entitled to a fair share of any money $$$ won.

It was also wise to have a formal agreement drawn up, that entitles You to 26/696 of any money $$$ won on Wed 1/13, or 1/21 of any $$$ winnings on Sat 1/16.

With a jackpot this size, many of those who knows the winners will think they should share even if they contributed nothing toward the cost of the tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #55889
                            October 23, 2007
                            5738 Posts
                            Posted: January 11, 2016, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Ok - so everyone is excited about the Billion dollar+ jackpot.  I get that - I'm excited as well.  I am part of a small yet intense lottery-pool at work.  20+ in the group depending on whomever pays for that week.  Simple enough.  A different person (rotating) buys tickets each week to share the "responsibility" - and then scans all tickets and emails them to the playing members.

So far so good - yes?  Welp - just got an email from this week's buyer.  She decided (all on her own) that we needed to buy MORE tickets since the jackpot is so high.  - this is her first time as buyer and she will buy Wednesday 13th and Saturday 16th draws)

she decided that we each needed (NEEDED) to pay an additional 50$ per person - and since she was able to find a terminal (local Shell gas station) that didnt have a line - she "prepaid" for everyone in the group... all 27 of us who have been part of the pool in the last year.  Since she has a tight budget she is expecting us to pony up with our 50$ bright and early Monday morning.

I'm not.  Each week prior to this - we put in 6$ each for 1 draw of pb & mm per draw date... It's not the question of whether or not I could/can afford 50$ - I can, this just feels wrong on so many levels and I expect some of our less-than calm members to blow a gasket.

Has anyone run into this type of cavalier behavior within your groups?  dh thinks I should just plop down my 50$ with a statement that I am OUT of the pool after this week.  I want to wring her lily-white neck.

I buy tix for my work pool. There are only 8 of us. Last week a couple people suggested we buy more tix. Each person kicks in $2 a week, so we're pretty small spenders. So yesterday I texted everybody about kicking an extra $2 each for Wednesday's draw. Everyone said fine.

Your buyer should have asked before acting.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7340 Posts
                              Posted: January 11, 2016, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

I call that "the kindergarten punishment"

one person screws up, everyone gets punished !

It's designed by weak leaders to make everyone hate the person that screwed up,

and it is quite effective.

My guess is the one that bought the extra tix w/out consulting the pool will soon be looking for another Job.

I hope your pool wins big and all of you quit !

It sounds more like a investment firm running a lottery pool with zero experience or apparently four pools, two each on the next 2 drawings. Having a rookie run the pool for a record jackpot is bad enough, but arbitrarily deciding to raise the price to get into the pool is a disaster waiting to happen. There will be thousands of "one time pools" for the next drawing with the potential of thousands of lawsuits and this one has to be in the top ten.