Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 10:48 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What are your thoughts on a continuously escalating jackpot?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 1 year ago by realtorjim.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
Member #106923
February 27, 2011
479 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2016, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

With the Powerball jackpot reaching extreme heights, at what measure does the actual jackpot amount no longer attract extended playing (law of diminishing returns/law of variable proportions)? I.e. when the jackpot keeps climbing without a winner at what point do you throw in the towel and give up, or just play one line compared to a usual play of multiple lines (or return to a usual play of just one line after experiencing a frenzy)? Or, have you maintained your senses all along and played as usual?

sookie's avatar - nw femalewiz.jpg

United States
    Member #142686
    May 17, 2013
    94 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2016, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

I'm at that point now. For the next drawing I'd get my normal 2 tickets if it rolls.  If mom wants tickets I'd throw in another $2 and get 2 more. I won't keep chasing it.  As it is now I out $12 in this time and that was a one time, fun thing.

Well see what happens :). But I also won $8 so I actually did $4

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      51029 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2016, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

People are going to keep buying PB Tickets and the PB Jackpot is going to keep Rising!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
        Happy California
        United States
        Member #157856
        August 2, 2014
        1549 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2016, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

I think that it will rollover Wednesday night.  I have a minority opinion.

At what time do you call it quits and go to bed?Bed

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #150273
          December 18, 2013
          495 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2016, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

I am no longer buying PB ticket(s) from here on out..i will be buying 1 ticket only and putting the rest of my lottery budget on other games since it's quite clear how hard it is now to hit the JP with PB's new changes. If PB offered improved odds and payouts on smaller prizes it would be different but they didn't do that...they just made it harder to hit the JP and still left the crappy payouts and crappy odds on the smaller prizes...screw that i will buy 1 ticket and 1 ticket only until things improve with PB.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
            Member #106923
            February 27, 2011
            479 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2016, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

I am no longer buying PB ticket(s) from here on out..i will be buying 1 ticket only and putting the rest of my lottery budget on other games since it's quite clear how hard it is now to hit the JP with PB's new changes. If PB offered improved odds and payouts on smaller prizes it would be different but they didn't do that...they just made it harder to hit the JP and still left the crappy payouts and crappy odds on the smaller prizes...screw that i will buy 1 ticket and 1 ticket only until things improve with PB.

I certainly understand what you are saying.  I'm still hearing about it from my spouse over hitting the PB paying $4, and her hitting the PB plus one number (with triple the odds) still only paying $4!  It just takes one ticket to be in it!  Thumbs Up

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

United States
              Member #106923
              February 27, 2011
              479 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2016, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm at that point now. For the next drawing I'd get my normal 2 tickets if it rolls.  If mom wants tickets I'd throw in another $2 and get 2 more. I won't keep chasing it.  As it is now I out $12 in this time and that was a one time, fun thing.

Well see what happens :). But I also won $8 so I actually did $4

I consider an $8 win on a $12 wager pretty good (in terms of lottery playing).  Best of luck on the next draw!

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                Member #118609
                November 4, 2011
                1053 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2016, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

I consider an $8 win on a $12 wager pretty good (in terms of lottery playing).  Best of luck on the next draw!

Five lines here and that is more than I told myself I would do.  Bought five lines Sunday after learning no one won Saturday.  When I checked my tickets from Saturday I won for $4 for the power number and used that for two more tickets.  I have my limit now lets win this thing!Hyper

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                  Green Bay
                  United States
                  Member #169391
                  October 15, 2015
                  1277 Posts
                  Posted: January 11, 2016, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

I hope someone wins this time.  Tired of hearing about powerball everytime I turn on the TV or radio.  The media is really pushing this thing.

Never give up.  Banana

cbr$'s avatar - maren
                    Cordova,Al.
                    United States
                    Member #104482
                    January 15, 2011
                    5367 Posts
                    Posted: January 11, 2016, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

With the Powerball jackpot reaching extreme heights, at what measure does the actual jackpot amount no longer attract extended playing (law of diminishing returns/law of variable proportions)? I.e. when the jackpot keeps climbing without a winner at what point do you throw in the towel and give up, or just play one line compared to a usual play of multiple lines (or return to a usual play of just one line after experiencing a frenzy)? Or, have you maintained your senses all along and played as usual?

As these jackpots continuously rise. I have maintain all my senses. I have never played the Big Games with just one line. Im not starting that now! After a 2 1/2 hour drive one way , a two hour wait in line etc.... The best thing going is to purchase more draws on the tickets. Be prepare, there are a lot of new people playing for the first. If you get in a place like I was Sunday. It was a Quick Picks only buy in. This place run out of play long ago. People are going to be asking you  questions It you look like you know what you're doing. I spend a extra 45 minutes standing in the middle between of two tickets clerks. For the next 30 people on both side to tell them what exactly they such said to the clerks to get what they really want. When this was over both me & clerks LOL! Every time I believe I was going to left this spot, someone else ask me not to leave yet! Stay I'll until I got my ticket, help me. My daughter throw me under the bus LOL. Fame last words. No, I don't know how to do it ask my mom she know how to do she done it for years.  Good Luck  don't forget to sign your tickets.

United States
                      Member #149995
                      December 14, 2013
                      47 Posts
                      Posted: January 11, 2016, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

As these jackpots continuously rise. I have maintain all my senses. I have never played the Big Games with just one line. Im not starting that now! After a 2 1/2 hour drive one way , a two hour wait in line etc.... The best thing going is to purchase more draws on the tickets. Be prepare, there are a lot of new people playing for the first. If you get in a place like I was Sunday. It was a Quick Picks only buy in. This place run out of play long ago. People are going to be asking you  questions It you look like you know what you're doing. I spend a extra 45 minutes standing in the middle between of two tickets clerks. For the next 30 people on both side to tell them what exactly they such said to the clerks to get what they really want. When this was over both me & clerks LOL! Every time I believe I was going to left this spot, someone else ask me not to leave yet! Stay I'll until I got my ticket, help me. My daughter throw me under the bus LOL. Fame last words. No, I don't know how to do it ask my mom she know how to do she done it for years.  Good Luck  don't forget to sign your tickets.

Have consider going using lotterypost app.  You can get every location. Who sell lottery ticket.   Have you check  wal-mart, Grocery, Wawa, 7-eleven, BP store and other.  You do not need to wait over 30 minutes in line.

United States
                        Member #106923
                        February 27, 2011
                        479 Posts
                        Posted: January 11, 2016, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Have consider going using lotterypost app.  You can get every location. Who sell lottery ticket.   Have you check  wal-mart, Grocery, Wawa, 7-eleven, BP store and other.  You do not need to wait over 30 minutes in line.

I'm not sure about cbr$ but, for some, part of the hysteria is 'participating' in the wait lines to get (a) ticket(s).  Not me, however, getting that precious ticket into my grubby little hands so I can depart from the world of mania is my preference.