Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 7:07 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mark Cuban's Advice to Winner

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 11 months ago by music*.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: January 12, 2016, 10:48 am - IP Logged

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-mark-cubans-advice-winner-135430907.html

My favorite:

• Tell all your friends and relatives no. They will ask. Tell them no. If you are close to them, you already know who needs help and what they need. Feel free to help SOME, but talk to your accountant before you do anything and remember this, no one needs $1 million for anything. No one needs $100,000 for anything. Anyone who asks is not your friend.
    Romancandle's avatar - moon
    Upacreek
    United States
    Member #136306
    December 8, 2012
    431 Posts
    Posted: January 12, 2016, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-mark-cubans-advice-winner-135430907.html

My favorite:

• Tell all your friends and relatives no. They will ask. Tell them no. If you are close to them, you already know who needs help and what they need. Feel free to help SOME, but talk to your accountant before you do anything and remember this, no one needs $1 million for anything. No one needs $100,000 for anything. Anyone who asks is not your friend.

He recommends taking the annuity...

-RC

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3857 Posts
      Posted: January 12, 2016, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

That's where I stopped reading...did he say anything worthwhile after that ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
        Greenville, SC
        United States
        Member #169870
        November 4, 2015
        374 Posts
        Posted: January 12, 2016, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I agreed with most. FDIC only, ONLY insures up to $250,000.. So, keeping it in the bank isn't feasible. I don't know about money market accounts. Taking the annuity can be good and bad. It all depends on your spending habits. There's really not much I want to buy. I mean, less than $100,000. I mean, besides a house. I just bought a brand new car and can pay that off whenever. I'm thinking about traveling and having the time to do things I've always wanted to do.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
          Member #164603
          March 8, 2015
          641 Posts
          Posted: January 12, 2016, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

I agreed with most. FDIC only, ONLY insures up to $250,000.. So, keeping it in the bank isn't feasible. I don't know about money market accounts. Taking the annuity can be good and bad. It all depends on your spending habits. There's really not much I want to buy. I mean, less than $100,000. I mean, besides a house. I just bought a brand new car and can pay that off whenever. I'm thinking about traveling and having the time to do things I've always wanted to do.

US Treasury Bonds are backed by the government. If the US government goes down to the point where it falls and the military can't even prop it up you can forget about your money anyway.

You can keep 50M$ in a CDARS account, it's a service that splits the money into 250k$ accounts and gives you one account and one statement

United States
            Member #171720
            January 11, 2016
            19 Posts
            Posted: January 12, 2016, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

US Treasury Bonds are backed by the government. If the US government goes down to the point where it falls and the military can't even prop it up you can forget about your money anyway.

You can keep 50M$ in a CDARS account, it's a service that splits the money into 250k$ accounts and gives you one account and one statement

What a great problem to have!! I hope I win so that I can learn how one protects 1 billion dollars. I guess I would need 20 CDARS accounts? LOL. I would absolutely need a good team of tax accountants and financial advisers to help manage this.

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
              Ontario
              Canada
              Member #109243
              April 9, 2011
              31439 Posts
              Posted: January 12, 2016, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

What Would The Annuity Be On A Jackpot Of This Magnitude?

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                Member #169277
                October 10, 2015
                630 Posts
                Posted: January 12, 2016, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

No. That's OK advice for the winner of 1 million or 5 million. But at the current levels, why not give to CLOSE friends and relatives?

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                  Member #164603
                  March 8, 2015
                  641 Posts
                  Posted: January 13, 2016, 10:05 am - IP Logged

What Would The Annuity Be On A Jackpot Of This Magnitude?

The advertised 1.5 billion dollars.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                    United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3857 Posts
                    Posted: January 13, 2016, 10:25 am - IP Logged

The advertised 1.5 billion dollars.

I think LOTTOBUX was wondering what the annual payment would be.

I have no idea ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #94283
                      July 17, 2010
                      2284 Posts
                      Posted: January 13, 2016, 10:46 am - IP Logged

Click on this icon on the left USA Mega and find your state to find out.

United States
                        Member #170889
                        December 22, 2015
                        29 Posts
                        Posted: January 13, 2016, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

No. That's OK advice for the winner of 1 million or 5 million. But at the current levels, why not give to CLOSE friends and relatives?

And this is the last thing he said before he went bankrupt haha.

The problem is it becomes habit. So if this is what you want to do you must set up hard limits meaning you have to abide by the limits you set. With the cost of homes, superyachts (even charters), and bail for some people, I can easily see someone blowing thru this if they're not paying attention. I'm sure people thought theyd never blow through 20 million or 100 million before. It's not only possible, it's happened.

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
                          Member #85037
                          January 7, 2010
                          253 Posts
                          Posted: January 13, 2016, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

I would never take an annuity because I don't trust the state of Florida to pay it out over the next 30 years.  I'll take the money now.

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #85037
                            January 7, 2010
                            253 Posts
                            Posted: January 13, 2016, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

There's the gift tax to consider.  That 1 million will become 1.5 million, so on and so forth.  I would give my mother money and that is the only person I would pay gift tax on.  Which is something I find incredibly asinine about the gift tax system.  I can marry any Joe off the street, give him half my money tax free yet my mother who birthed me and suffered me through my teenage years has to pay estate tax when I die or I have to pay a gift tax while i'm alive.  Unbelievable.

bigdaddy's avatar - aviator2 1.jpg
                              BETWEEN OAKRIDGE AND WRIGHT-PATTERSON AFB
                              United States
                              Member #1647
                              June 10, 2003
                              2735 Posts
                              Posted: January 13, 2016, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

buy 10 million shares of the realty group stock symbol o and live off the monthly dividends

Relax,Bigdaddy has your number!!!!!

Pi is the way...

turning $30 or less into thousands everyday!!

here we go steelers ..here we go---------stairway to seven 

TIME FOR THE LOMBARDI TROPHY TO  COME  HOME..