Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much revenue have the non-lottery states lost?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 11 months ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: January 13, 2016, 4:49 am - IP Logged
How much revenue have the six states,  Alabama Alaska Hawaii Mississippi Nevada and  Utah, that don't have lotteries lost?

I have seen many news stories about people crossing state lines to participate in the Powerball Lottery. Is there any data on, how much revenue these states loose to neighboring states?

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
    Greenville, SC
    United States
    Member #169870
    November 4, 2015
    374 Posts
    Posted: January 13, 2016, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

$1 going out of state is too much.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

Bondi Junction
      Australia
      Member #57242
      December 24, 2007
      1102 Posts
      Posted: January 14, 2016, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

The promise of millions and now more than a billions dollars is prompting folks to buy Powerball tickets. But you can't do that in Mississippi.

"I don't see any difference I don't see any difference in bingo and the lottery," noted Representative Alyce Clarke-D.

"Mississippi is in the center of the Bible belt," explained Representative Gary Chism-R. "You know, even though we've got gaming. I think that we've got enough."

Money talks and video of cars coming from Mississippi into Delta, Louisiana, proved that folks will drive to get a ticket. That video was shown to different lawmakers who then reacted to that much money leaving the state.

"Sure a lot of suckers ain't it?," said Chism.

"I saw the line," described Rep. Alex Monsour-R. "I couldn't get off on that exit because there's no way to do it. So, I went a little further down the road."

"A lot of people dreaming, that's what I see," added Senate President Pro-Tempore Senator Terry Burton-R.

"We could be taking that same money that were taken to Louisiana and Tennessee and doing something for our children or for our roads," said Rep. Clarke.

Rep. Alyce Clarke has filed bills for more than a decade to get the lottery in Mississippi. She's never been successful.

"In states where they use it, they use it for education or they use it for the general fund," she explained.

Rep. Gary Chism thinks it's a waste of money.

"All it's going to do is be a sucker bet and it's going to take your money that might've gone for food, might've gone for other things," Chism noted.

When asked if he bought a ticket or had someone buy one for him, Chism replied, "No, I'm a Baptist. I didn't do either."

In 1992, the people of Mississippi voted in favor of a constitutional amendment to lift the ban establishing lotteries.

Bondi Junction
        Australia
        Member #57242
        December 24, 2007
        1102 Posts
        Posted: January 14, 2016, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

The promise of millions and now more than a billions dollars is prompting folks to buy Powerball tickets. But you can't do that in Mississippi.

"I don't see any difference I don't see any difference in bingo and the lottery," noted Representative Alyce Clarke-D.

"Mississippi is in the center of the Bible belt," explained Representative Gary Chism-R. "You know, even though we've got gaming. I think that we've got enough."

Money talks and video of cars coming from Mississippi into Delta, Louisiana, proved that folks will drive to get a ticket. That video was shown to different lawmakers who then reacted to that much money leaving the state.

"Sure a lot of suckers ain't it?," said Chism.

"I saw the line," described Rep. Alex Monsour-R. "I couldn't get off on that exit because there's no way to do it. So, I went a little further down the road."

"A lot of people dreaming, that's what I see," added Senate President Pro-Tempore Senator Terry Burton-R.

"We could be taking that same money that were taken to Louisiana and Tennessee and doing something for our children or for our roads," said Rep. Clarke.

Rep. Alyce Clarke has filed bills for more than a decade to get the lottery in Mississippi. She's never been successful.

"In states where they use it, they use it for education or they use it for the general fund," she explained.

Rep. Gary Chism thinks it's a waste of money.

"All it's going to do is be a sucker bet and it's going to take your money that might've gone for food, might've gone for other things," Chism noted.

When asked if he bought a ticket or had someone buy one for him, Chism replied, "No, I'm a Baptist. I didn't do either."

In 1992, the people of Mississippi voted in favor of a constitutional amendment to lift the ban establishing lotteries.

It is called shooting yourself in the foot!

Alpharetta, GA
          United States
          Member #169547
          October 23, 2015
          123 Posts
          Posted: January 14, 2016, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

Lol.  We heard these same assine arguments here in ga in the early 90's.  Fortunately the ga general assembly pulled his head out of its collective  arse and brought the lottery here. 

I find the whole argument against the lottery rather amusing.

Alpharetta, GA
            United States
            Member #169547
            October 23, 2015
            123 Posts
            Posted: January 14, 2016, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

I love the hypocrisy in miss- gaming is a-ok but the lottery is evil. Lol ok. These lawmakers are idiots.  Hope they lose more money with the next big jackpot when their residents cross state lines to buy tickets.  Lol.

Alpharetta, GA
              United States
              Member #169547
              October 23, 2015
              123 Posts
              Posted: January 14, 2016, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Of all the states listed the three least likely to get with the lottery would be Nevada (can't put a dent in the gaming industry there unless you want to risk a mob hit... Wait even the mob left Las Vegas so this might fly lol), Utah - ain't gonna happen with all the Mormons.  And Alaska- no one lives there except Sarah palin

Ok I'll shut the snark off now  lol

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                Member #59354
                March 13, 2008
                3985 Posts
                Posted: January 14, 2016, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

Each state gets it's percent of sales first then the lower prizes are paid and the remainder goes into the JP.

The states don't loose when someone from another state wins just the players.  The JP cash is what is left

over after everyone else is paid.  This is one reason that you have to claim your prize in the state where you

purchased the ticket.   Lets say that one state sales one million tickets and another state sales ten million.

Each state get to keep so much of each ticket sold and for this example lets say that they keep $.50 of every

dollar.  The first state get $500,000,00 and the second gets 5,000,000.00.  If someone hits the JP from the

first state then that state collects all the JP cash from all other states and pays it.   This is one of the reasons

that it takes a couple weeks to get your cash, they are waiting for all the other states to send the cash to 

the winning state.  The only loss the state has to eat is the taxes they could have withheld on a JP hit.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
                  Member #59354
                  March 13, 2008
                  3985 Posts
                  Posted: January 14, 2016, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

The state comes first

The fed comes second

The winners come third

Then the state and fed again

And everyone else, well they don't even count, they are just Sh*T out of bucks.  Unless you count the fact

that you helped someone else become super rich. 

RL

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

United States
                    Member #59354
                    March 13, 2008
                    3985 Posts
                    Posted: January 14, 2016, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

In conclusion the non-lottery states may have lost out but the people have more cash.

RL

Bondi Junction
                      Australia
                      Member #57242
                      December 24, 2007
                      1102 Posts
                      Posted: January 15, 2016, 6:24 am - IP Logged

If you live in one of the states that doesn't have a state lottery, don't forget you can play the Massachusetts lottery by subscription. It is a bit of fun and it is also a way to show you support a state lottery.