Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 9:56 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerplay For Powerball

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 1 year ago by dddwww.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Last 09son's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
Nassau
Bahamas
Member #68615
December 26, 2008
387 Posts
Posted: January 13, 2016, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

292.3 million for 1.5 billion!!!

Good investment Wink or not?

Money's on my mind,money's all i think of!!!!$$$. A.K.A:SCROOGE

Nassau
    Bahamas
    Member #68615
    December 26, 2008
    387 Posts
    Posted: January 13, 2016, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

Although possible , I really think that there won't be more than three winners.

There would still be a profit!

United States
      Member #162003
      December 18, 2014
      43 Posts
      Posted: January 13, 2016, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

Although possible , I really think that there won't be more than three winners.

There would still be a profit!

What are you talking about? Do the math.... If you really bought all possible combinations, and even 1 person wins it with you, after all the taxes, you will lose money. Come on man.

Nassau
        Bahamas
        Member #68615
        December 26, 2008
        387 Posts
        Posted: January 13, 2016, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

What are you talking about? Do the math.... If you really bought all possible combinations, and even 1 person wins it with you, after all the taxes, you will lose money. Come on man.

would it be the same with the annuity and the cash lump sum payment?

Wyomissing, PA
          United States
          Member #161050
          November 15, 2014
          301 Posts
          Posted: January 13, 2016, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Firstly, the annuity value is meaningless beyond marketing.  Powerball tickets are $2 each. So it would take upwards of $584 million to buy all the combinations. However, as already pointed out, would be a lousy wager due to taxes, etc plus the relatively high probability of there be at least one other winner splitting the $930 million cash jackpot.

As for adding Powerplay for an extra $1. There's many schools of thought on this, but my personal belief is it's worthwhile, since winning a lower tier prize is far more likely. Even 2nd place is 25X more likely than hitting the jackpot. Without Powerplay, match-5 pays $1 million (except California; variable there), but with Powerplay is doubled to $2 million.

United States
            Member #171734
            January 11, 2016
            127 Posts
            Posted: January 14, 2016, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Firstly, the annuity value is meaningless beyond marketing.  Powerball tickets are $2 each. So it would take upwards of $584 million to buy all the combinations. However, as already pointed out, would be a lousy wager due to taxes, etc plus the relatively high probability of there be at least one other winner splitting the $930 million cash jackpot.

As for adding Powerplay for an extra $1. There's many schools of thought on this, but my personal belief is it's worthwhile, since winning a lower tier prize is far more likely. Even 2nd place is 25X more likely than hitting the jackpot. Without Powerplay, match-5 pays $1 million (except California; variable there), but with Powerplay is doubled to $2 million.

There is no need for beliefs, personal or otherwise, when it comes to the Powerball and Powerplay.

The expected non-jackpot return of a $2 Powerball ticket played w/o Powerplay is roughly 32 cents

If you are doing the Powerplay when the 10x multiplier is available your expected non-jackpot return on your $3 ticket is 82 cents.

So in return for giving them another $1 the lottery gives you another 50 cents back.

That's my quick spreadsheet math.  Powerplay tickets return a higher percentage of your money but are not "better" than not adding a $1 to your ticket.

I didn't do the math with the 10x multiplier unavailable but suspect the result is similar, money spent on Powerplay is more money wasted.

United States
              Member #171734
              January 11, 2016
              127 Posts
              Posted: January 14, 2016, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Since part of my statement might have been confusing:

If you have $3 in your pocket there are three options:

1) Keep the $3 in your pocket

2) Spend $2 on a Powerball ticket and keep $1 in your pocket

3) Spend the $3 on a Powerball ticket and a Powerplay

The expected returns of each choice are:

1) $3.00

2) $1.32

3) $0.82

Nassau
                Bahamas
                Member #68615
                December 26, 2008
                387 Posts
                Posted: January 15, 2016, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

Smile got it! Thumbs Up

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                  Member #169277
                  October 10, 2015
                  630 Posts
                  Posted: January 15, 2016, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

If you are doing the Powerplay when the 10x multiplier is available your expected non-jackpot return on your $3 ticket is 82 cents.

Most of the time, the powerplay multiplier is 2x or 3x, how do your numbers work out with 2 or 3x? 

United States
                    Member #171734
                    January 11, 2016
                    127 Posts
                    Posted: January 16, 2016, 2:28 am - IP Logged

Most of the time, the powerplay multiplier is 2x or 3x, how do your numbers work out with 2 or 3x? 

You can't do it that way, since you don't know what the multiplier will be when you buy your ticket you have to sum the expected returns for each multiplier

If the 10x multiplier isn't available your expected return from spending the $1 is reduced by about 6 cents.

Just to show you how awful the house odds are with Powerball, even if 10x is chosen you will only expect to get back $2.51 of your $3 investment

When 2x is chosen your expected return is 64 cents for the $3, for 3x it is 87 cents.