Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 11:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How the lottery generates the ticket numbers

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Tialuvslotto.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #171985
January 14, 2016
2 Posts
Posted: January 14, 2016, 10:11 am - IP Logged

I imagine this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the answer. Mainly, I am wondering if its method insures that no two identical  easy picks can be generated before all numbers are covered. In other words, if less than 272M are bought in powerball, can we assume that no more than 1 winning ticket will be by easy-pick?

I have never seen the actual algorithm for generating these tickets discussed. Psuedo Random Number Generator?

JADELottery's avatar - YingYangYong 01.PNG
    The Quantum Master
    West Concord, MN
    United States
    Member #21
    December 7, 2001
    3684 Posts
    Posted: January 14, 2016, 10:23 am - IP Logged

There is Absolutely No Guarantee all Quick Picks (Easy Picks) will be absolutely different from each other, meaning two or more are not the same combination.

In California, as far as we know, the Quick Picks are generated at a central computer.

Ref. Lottery Post News topic: California Lottery computer glitch shuts down terminals

"...

Lottery spokesman Alex Traverso says there was a loss of signal that prevented the terminals from connecting to the system that generates the numbers.

..."

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
    Knowledge is Beyond Belief
    Wisdom is Not Censored
    Douglas Paul Smallish
    Jehocifer

United States
      Member #171985
      January 14, 2016
      2 Posts
      Posted: January 14, 2016, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

OK, that surprises me but preventing it also seemed like a formidable task. A Pseudorandom number generator has a cycle before it repeats, so I assumed they had used some variant of this and had them synced to a central computer.

JADELottery's avatar - YingYangYong 01.PNG
        The Quantum Master
        West Concord, MN
        United States
        Member #21
        December 7, 2001
        3684 Posts
        Posted: January 14, 2016, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Hotbits would be a better way to generate random numbers.

It's based on radioactive decay.

Wink

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
        Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
        Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
        Knowledge is Beyond Belief
        Wisdom is Not Censored
        Douglas Paul Smallish
        Jehocifer

South Carolina
          United States
          Member #18322
          July 9, 2005
          1744 Posts
          Posted: January 14, 2016, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

I imagine this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the answer. Mainly, I am wondering if its method insures that no two identical  easy picks can be generated before all numbers are covered. In other words, if less than 272M are bought in powerball, can we assume that no more than 1 winning ticket will be by easy-pick?

I have never seen the actual algorithm for generating these tickets discussed. Psuedo Random Number Generator?

Two people can have the same numbers on a Quick Pick, even in the same state. That's how you end up with multiple Jackpot or 5/5 winners.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
            Member #9517
            December 10, 2004
            1279 Posts
            Posted: January 14, 2016, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

I remember reading in one of Gail Howard's books several thousand lottery tickets with the 1-2-3-4-5-6 combination was created as quick picks in every draw in New York state.

The jackpot would only be a few hundred dollars if this combination won.

United States
              Member #171734
              January 11, 2016
              127 Posts
              Posted: January 15, 2016, 1:08 am - IP Logged

I remember reading in one of Gail Howard's books several thousand lottery tickets with the 1-2-3-4-5-6 combination was created as quick picks in every draw in New York state.

The jackpot would only be a few hundred dollars if this combination won.

Gail Howard's books are full of incorrect statements, including the oft repeated claims that some combinations of numbers are more likely to come up than others.

I doubt she said that quick pick has chosen one particular combination thousands of times in an a single drawing.  It is true that that combination is chosen by people quite frequently because people are lousy at choosing random numbers as well as lazy so they check off the first 6 numbers and submit it.

I do give her credit for using the only system that actually can make you money off the lottery, selling books.

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3502 Posts
                Posted: January 19, 2016, 2:15 am - IP Logged

OK, that surprises me but preventing it also seemed like a formidable task. A Pseudorandom number generator has a cycle before it repeats, so I assumed they had used some variant of this and had them synced to a central computer.

The story referenced by JadeLottery is almost certainly in error. Assuming it is, it's a safe bet that the reporter got accurate info from the lottery spokesman and then screwed it up. Just about every reliable source says that the terminal generates the numbers, and the job of the central computer is to create a record of each play and after that record is created authorize the terminal to generate the ticket.

I'm not sure what you think is difficult to prevent. If you think it would be difficult to prevent repeat combinations you can easily demonstrate it to yourself by flipping a coin or rolling a die. With a coin every time you get 2 heads or tails in a row you're seeing how random probability results in repeats. With a die you should get a repeat with 2 rolls once out of every 6 tries. Getting all 6 possibilities from 6 rolls should happen once out of every 65 tries, so you can expect t repeat at least one number in 64 of 65 tries. Random probability guarantees that repeats will happen. The odds are different, but the exact same principle applies to generating combinations for lottery tickets.

Preventing repeats would also be easy, but would require actively preventing the repeats that naturally occur.  Te central computer would have to check each terminal request against all previously issued tickets, and require the terminal to  generate a different combination if a repeat is requested. When ticket sales are only a tiny percentage of the possible combinations there would be relatively few repeats, but as sales increase there would be more and more overhead. Preventing repeats across state lines would be more difficult because there are  far more tickets involved and all of the states would have to be linked together, but it's certainly possible. Of course that would completely eliminate a main point of QP's - they're randomly selected combinations.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #150797
                  December 31, 2013
                  822 Posts
                  Posted: January 19, 2016, 8:32 am - IP Logged

The story referenced by JadeLottery is almost certainly in error. Assuming it is, it's a safe bet that the reporter got accurate info from the lottery spokesman and then screwed it up. Just about every reliable source says that the terminal generates the numbers, and the job of the central computer is to create a record of each play and after that record is created authorize the terminal to generate the ticket.

I'm not sure what you think is difficult to prevent. If you think it would be difficult to prevent repeat combinations you can easily demonstrate it to yourself by flipping a coin or rolling a die. With a coin every time you get 2 heads or tails in a row you're seeing how random probability results in repeats. With a die you should get a repeat with 2 rolls once out of every 6 tries. Getting all 6 possibilities from 6 rolls should happen once out of every 65 tries, so you can expect t repeat at least one number in 64 of 65 tries. Random probability guarantees that repeats will happen. The odds are different, but the exact same principle applies to generating combinations for lottery tickets.

Preventing repeats would also be easy, but would require actively preventing the repeats that naturally occur.  Te central computer would have to check each terminal request against all previously issued tickets, and require the terminal to  generate a different combination if a repeat is requested. When ticket sales are only a tiny percentage of the possible combinations there would be relatively few repeats, but as sales increase there would be more and more overhead. Preventing repeats across state lines would be more difficult because there are  far more tickets involved and all of the states would have to be linked together, but it's certainly possible. Of course that would completely eliminate a main point of QP's - they're randomly selected combinations.

It really isn't in the interests of the Lottery to prevent repeat tickets from being sold.  The possibility of repeats is what keeps a syndicate from buying all possible tickets when a large JP is available.  Well, that and the gargantuan nature of the task!

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein