Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

States That Allow Winners' To Remain Anonymous

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 12 months ago by lejardin.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: January 17, 2016, 12:05 am - IP Logged

It appears that winners' in Tennessee can claim anonymously. What is the situation in your state.

"The Robinsons, who made it back to Tennessee to submit their winning ticket Friday afternoon, could have taken up to six months to redeem their prize. Tennessee Lottery rules also permit jackpots to be claimed in the name of a trust for more privacy."

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/298522

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
    Oregon
    United States
    Member #168137
    August 17, 2015
    125 Posts
    Posted: January 17, 2016, 12:24 am - IP Logged

Can't claim anonymously in Oregon.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3316 Posts
      Posted: January 17, 2016, 12:35 am - IP Logged

read this

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2016-01-15/should-lottery-winners-names-be-secret-states-debate-issue

Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina allow winners to remain anonymous. Arizona lawmakers overwhelmingly approved a bill last year that shields lottery winners' identities for 90 days after they claim their prizes.

A growing number of other states, including Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont, will award prizes to a trust and allow a trustee — usually an attorney — to collect without disclosing the name of the ticket holder.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #94283
        July 17, 2010
        2284 Posts
        Posted: January 17, 2016, 10:43 am - IP Logged

One in Oregon just claimed anonymously due to fear for his family's safety.  I've heard of California allowing it too. 

Sounds like you just need a good lawyer who's willing to fight for you.  Half the population seems to have PTSD these days.  Isn't that a good reason?  Or an anxiety disorder where fear of having an episode if a stranger confronts you will keep you from leaving the house for the rest of your life.  I'm sure with some research someone could come up with half a dozen reasons why it would ruin their life/health if their name was made public.

South Carolina
          United States
          Member #18322
          July 9, 2005
          1744 Posts
          Posted: January 17, 2016, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

read this

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2016-01-15/should-lottery-winners-names-be-secret-states-debate-issue

Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina allow winners to remain anonymous. Arizona lawmakers overwhelmingly approved a bill last year that shields lottery winners' identities for 90 days after they claim their prizes.

A growing number of other states, including Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont, will award prizes to a trust and allow a trustee — usually an attorney — to collect without disclosing the name of the ticket holder.

Thank you.  This is information that we all needed to know.  I live in South Carolina, where I have the option of remaining anonymous when I win.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
            United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3857 Posts
            Posted: January 17, 2016, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

Jersey had a shot at one year anonymity but Christie vetoed it, now I just go to Delaware or Maryland

for big JP games like MM.

Still play JC5 and CFL here at home.

Recently I was looking at pics of winners on Jersey's lottery site and noticed that several winners

were holding the ceremonial check up high, so you could not see their face.

Others had no pic at all, just a banner of the game they won.

Near as I can figure the picture is not required.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
              Happy California
              United States
              Member #157856
              August 2, 2014
              1549 Posts
              Posted: January 17, 2016, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

Here in California B.Raymond Buxton won $425 million in Milpitas, CA.  He held the fake check sign up and covering his face. His shirt read,"The Luck of the Jedi, I have".  So, all we got was his name and city he lives in. He said that he would help children. Feeding them, providing medical care and more.Wink

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

United States
                Member #112968
                June 29, 2011
                3857 Posts
                Posted: January 17, 2016, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Here in California B.Raymond Buxton won $425 million in Milpitas, CA.  He held the fake check sign up and covering his face. His shirt read,"The Luck of the Jedi, I have".  So, all we got was his name and city he lives in. He said that he would help children. Feeding them, providing medical care and more.Wink

The $425 MIL. was from what game...when ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Bondi Junction
                  Australia
                  Member #57242
                  December 24, 2007
                  1102 Posts
                  Posted: January 17, 2016, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

How To Cash Your Powerball Winning Ticket Anonymously

If I win!

LLC

Here is the drill. Thursday morning I will take my winning ticket and drive, very carefully, to my lawyer’s office. He or she will form a Limited Liability Company which will have me as the sole owner, but the law firm as the managing member. The law firm will then go cash the ticket and open accounts. The accounts will be overseen by this little boutique accounting firm that does family office work. Finally, I’ll have landed a decent account without having somebody else develop the lead for me.

The limited liability company will not save income tax or estate taxes. What it will do is provide a confidential vehicle to do all the whacky things that I want to do. Each one will be in a separate entity. There is the movie company Let Them Be Sea Captains LLC (Bonus points for any commenter who figures out what the first film will be). And then there are the strip malls. I really like them. The really dinky ones that don’t have a really big anchor. That will be Greenstrips LLC and it will strive to have tenants who only sell things that are good for people. I have a hunch it will turn out to be not very sound and am capping that one at $50 million or so.
                  Since the LLC will be a major account that pays me very well to oversee its affairs, I’ll have plausible cover to write a lot of $14,000 checks to a lot of my relatives and set up $70,000 529 plans for all the kiddies, while they have the impression that the ship that came in for me was kind of a PT Boat rather than an aircraft carrier. When it comes to charitable contributions , the LLC will write those checks.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

The Windy City
                    United States
                    Member #171690
                    January 10, 2016
                    62 Posts
                    Posted: February 2, 2016, 3:57 am - IP Logged

How To Cash Your Powerball Winning Ticket Anonymously

If I win!

LLC

Here is the drill. Thursday morning I will take my winning ticket and drive, very carefully, to my lawyer’s office. He or she will form a Limited Liability Company which will have me as the sole owner, but the law firm as the managing member. The law firm will then go cash the ticket and open accounts. The accounts will be overseen by this little boutique accounting firm that does family office work. Finally, I’ll have landed a decent account without having somebody else develop the lead for me.

The limited liability company will not save income tax or estate taxes. What it will do is provide a confidential vehicle to do all the whacky things that I want to do. Each one will be in a separate entity. There is the movie company Let Them Be Sea Captains LLC (Bonus points for any commenter who figures out what the first film will be). And then there are the strip malls. I really like them. The really dinky ones that don’t have a really big anchor. That will be Greenstrips LLC and it will strive to have tenants who only sell things that are good for people. I have a hunch it will turn out to be not very sound and am capping that one at $50 million or so.
                    Since the LLC will be a major account that pays me very well to oversee its affairs, I’ll have plausible cover to write a lot of $14,000 checks to a lot of my relatives and set up $70,000 529 plans for all the kiddies, while they have the impression that the ship that came in for me was kind of a PT Boat rather than an aircraft carrier. When it comes to charitable contributions , the LLC will write those checks.

There's a very good Forbes article you can Google titled "How To Remain Anonymous If You Win The $1.5 Billion Powerball Lottery".  It talks about going one step further than just forming an LLC.   The author states that you should also form a Claiming Trust to claim the ticket with the LLC (Bridge Trust) being the grantor of the trust.   The Claiming Trust would be subject to the Freedom of Information Act, whereas the Bridge Trust would not be.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                      Brooklyn, NY
                      United States
                      Member #169723
                      October 29, 2015
                      885 Posts
                      Posted: February 2, 2016, 4:09 am - IP Logged

The $425 MIL. was from what game...when ?

It was a Powerball jackpot from Feb 19, 2014 $425 mil

This is the picture that Music* is referring to....

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3857 Posts
                        Posted: February 2, 2016, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Ok, thanks for that.

I guess I'll need to wear the LP t-shirt instead of the hat,

when I strike that pose for my win.

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
                          Greenville, SC
                          United States
                          Member #169870
                          November 4, 2015
                          374 Posts
                          Posted: February 2, 2016, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

You can add Wyoming to that list. According to their lottery website, they will allow you to remain anonymous.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                            Member #118609
                            November 4, 2011
                            1068 Posts
                            Posted: February 2, 2016, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

If that is what I think it is, I too will be wearing a Bentley t-shirt

..... and a few months later, driving my Bentley Continental Flying Spur Speed. 

See Ya! ok ok not really, you wont find me showing up anywhere near the claims office, I will have attorney or financial adviser go in my place if required.