Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions and Powerball both at/over $1 Billion. Your thoughts?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 months ago by ressuccess.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Mega Millions and Powerball both at/over $1 Billion. Good or bad idea.

Good idea [ 5 ]  [45.45%]
Bad idea [ 6 ]  [54.55%]
Undecided [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 11 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
travelintrucker's avatar - morph
Greenville, SC
United States
Member #169870
November 4, 2015
374 Posts
Posted: January 18, 2016, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

I found a lottery odds calculator online, and MM would only have to extend the mega balls up to 18 to have roughly the same odds as Powerball. Imagine them both at/over $1 billion. How would you play? My thoughts - I think it's a good idea. It'd be like a 2nd chance for people who didn't win the first jackpot. I wouldn't change my playing.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

wander73's avatar - Lottery-038.jpg
    Philadelphia, PA
    United States
    Member #153774
    March 24, 2014
    849 Posts
    Posted: January 19, 2016, 9:11 am - IP Logged

Bad Idea.  With the economy still in the tank,  unemployment where it is at,  the way our world is no leave the mega millions alone. 

i don't play as much and even if I can factor what other members think of the numbers that come out scary out there.  If I can figure out a system on the numbers I will play them.

Arizona
      United States
      Member #165073
      March 24, 2015
      220 Posts
      Posted: January 19, 2016, 9:53 am - IP Logged

Even if you adjusted the odds like that, the chances of them both being over $1B at the same time are very close to zero. Also, with the tickets only costing $1, MM would need to sell about twice as many tickets to reach the same level, so even though it would have the same per-ticket odds, it's much more likely that there would be a winner before the jackpot reaches a billion.

United States
        Member #169365
        October 13, 2015
        135 Posts
        Posted: January 19, 2016, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

It could happen.  And the same person wins both - with their identical set of 'lucky numbers'!!!

Immediate suspicion is raised when the winner is found to be employed by the company that manufactures the balls used in the drawings.

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
          Member #169277
          October 10, 2015
          630 Posts
          Posted: January 19, 2016, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

I don't see the point of having 2 games where one copy-cats the other all the time. If that's truly what's wanted, drop one and increase the remaining one to 3 or 4 draws a week. 

But, I hope they leave MM alone.

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
            Greenville, SC
            United States
            Member #169870
            November 4, 2015
            374 Posts
            Posted: January 19, 2016, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Different people that run Mega Millions and Powerball. It would cost jobs if they went to just one national lottery game.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

Romancandle's avatar - moon
              Upacreek
              United States
              Member #136306
              December 8, 2012
              428 Posts
              Posted: January 19, 2016, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

You know, I dunno if there's enough demand to sustain both at the same time.

Seemed to me that once PB broke the 1Billion barrier.. sales sort of peaked.

The real sales frenzy (just a guess here) appeared to happen in the draw before the one that produced the winner(s).

I'm sure somebody here can clarify that or tell me I'm wildly wrong LOL

-RC

United States
                Member #169365
                October 13, 2015
                135 Posts
                Posted: January 20, 2016, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

I think it depends where you are.  In CA, sales are pretty easily tracked because they reset the 2nd place (5+0) prize to $100K when its won, which it was won steadily during the large JP for PB. 

Sales roughly doubled each draw until it was hit.  The pari-mutuel pool for 5+0 winners went from $475K, $1.4M, $4.7M to $7.6M in the 4 draws up to being won.  Number of people that split it steadily increased as well.

The JP sort of reflects that, too.  Though, sales nationally seemed to be about the same for the last 2 draws until it was hit.

Candy-Lane's avatar - yocco

United States
                  Member #167255
                  July 2, 2015
                  102 Posts
                  Posted: January 23, 2016, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

I voted good idea because it has never happened before and, I think it would be fun.

I play for the entertainment. I took a grad level stats course as required for my PhD program so, I am well aware the odds are greater that:

I will be struck by lightning - twice; attacked by a shark; play for the LA Lakers; be abducted by aliens from outer space; win an Oscar; and become President of the United States.

I really get sick of hearing about it every time the news media starts in on the "Lottery Fever Sweeping The Nation" reports. You know, once the jackpot reaches $400 Million. Who knows,now that we've seen a $1.6 Billion Annuity Jackpot, maybe those odds articles won't come out until the jackpot reaches $600 Million. One can hope.

Remember, all it takes is $1-2! Can't win it, if you're not in it. Play for fun. And,

DARE TO DREAM! Smile

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3471 Posts
                    Posted: January 24, 2016, 3:01 am - IP Logged

As Murgatroyd says, the chance of both reaching a billion at the same time is very small. Even both being over $500 million is very low probability.

If (notice the big if) it did happen it would be very interesting to see the resulting player behavior. If players split fairly evenly between the two we might see relatively modest sales for each. Instead of the roughly 630 million tickets that were sold for the record PB perhaps we'd see sales of about 300 to 350 million for each, or about that for PB and twice as many (same dollar amount) for MM. Whatever the actual result, there would be a better chance of yet another rollover as a result of fewer tickets being sold, and a better chance of producing a single winner.

There's one other possibility I can imagine. People would concentrate on MM, and if there was a winner they'd all try to buy their PB tickets on Wednesday or Saturday.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6290 Posts
                      Posted: January 25, 2016, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

If both reached a billion it would be crazy Eek Crazy

I Love Pink & Green 1908

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
                        Member #93164
                        June 23, 2010
                        1313 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2016, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

It was a good idea as my vote because I think about these huge jackpots in hand.