Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Another false rumor started about a so called lottery winner

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 10 months ago by Rexer90.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ozone park
United States
Member #57042
December 15, 2007
274 Posts
Posted: February 2, 2016, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

A post is going around on Facebook about one of the three Powerball lottery winners dying from a drug overdose. Absolutely FALSE

http://www.snopes.com/powerball-winner-overdose/

United States
    Member #106134
    February 13, 2011
    806 Posts
    Posted: February 2, 2016, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

Since no one has come forward to claim the other two tickets, I'm starting to think both are going to be lost ticket scenarios.

If so that's a bummer for the Tennessee winners as they would no get the whole pot, the states where the other winning tickets were bought would get it unfortunately.

The Windy City
      United States
      Member #171690
      January 10, 2016
      62 Posts
      Posted: February 2, 2016, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

Since no one has come forward to claim the other two tickets, I'm starting to think both are going to be lost ticket scenarios.

If so that's a bummer for the Tennessee winners as they would no get the whole pot, the states where the other winning tickets were bought would get it unfortunately.

It's been less than 3 weeks.   I believe any halfway intelligent person will take more than this much time to get their ducks in a row for a prize this large.

United States
        Member #169911
        November 6, 2015
        57 Posts
        Posted: February 2, 2016, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

They're probably just gathering there resources together before claiming.

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
          Oregon
          United States
          Member #168137
          August 17, 2015
          124 Posts
          Posted: February 2, 2016, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

I'm glad the frenzy has started to die down a little though. Clearly, there are still people with nothing better to do than stir the pot with fake claims.

I am looking forward to the day when/if they're all claimed!

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
            Greenville, SC
            United States
            Member #169870
            November 4, 2015
            374 Posts
            Posted: February 2, 2016, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

I think they are just making preparations to get out of dodge, and possibly are assembling a team to help manage the windfall.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

United States
              Member #169911
              November 6, 2015
              57 Posts
              Posted: February 2, 2016, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

There you go guys the family in Tennessee is already being sued by a former inmate who claims he chipped on the buying the tickets.  This is why it's important to stay anonymous or at least as much as possible.  Expect more lawsuits against this family. Now we'll see how good that attorney is that told them to go public.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #77167
                July 15, 2009
                555 Posts
                Posted: February 3, 2016, 2:11 am - IP Logged

There you go guys the family in Tennessee is already being sued by a former inmate who claims he chipped on the buying the tickets.  This is why it's important to stay anonymous or at least as much as possible.  Expect more lawsuits against this family. Now we'll see how good that attorney is that told them to go public.

Where did you see this?

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

ozone park
                  United States
                  Member #57042
                  December 15, 2007
                  274 Posts
                  Posted: February 3, 2016, 2:33 am - IP Logged

http://wreg.com/2016/02/02/winners-of-powerball-jackpot-being-sued-by-inmate/

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
                    Member #153629
                    March 20, 2014
                    128 Posts
                    Posted: February 3, 2016, 2:53 am - IP Logged

I wonder where OzLotteries gotten this info from (from blog)

"The Californian winning ticket was 1 of 18,000 purchased by the owner of a chain of nursing homes as gifts for his employees and patients. The actions of this generous boss, who is reportedly “prone to acts of random, eccentric kindness”, lead to a 62-year old woman employed as a senior nurse becoming the second winner in the mega Powerball jackpot.

The woman was working the night shift and didn’t have time to check her ticket until one of her seven children called to remind her. Her manager said the woman just “didn’t believe it”. He explained how she went over the ticket, “number by number”, with her colleagues until it sunk in that she was a brand new multi-millionaire. “And then she freaked out."

Despite the shock and excitement, the hard-working mother went on to finish her shift. “It couldn’t have happened to a better person,” said the manage"

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 14,45%

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: February 3, 2016, 3:19 am - IP Logged

"Absolutely FALSE"

How would you know?

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: February 3, 2016, 6:41 am - IP Logged

http://wreg.com/2016/02/02/winners-of-powerball-jackpot-being-sued-by-inmate/

Ok this one is kinda funny!  I can't see any way it will succeed.  Really, he sends money OUT of his prison fund?  How much do prisoners make these days?  Last I knew it was about 20 cents per hour.

But it's certainly a cautionary tale for future winners.  There's nothing to stop ANYONE from filing a lawsuit in this country.  A relative I haven't heard from for 20 years could see my name as a winner and claim that I promised them 25 years ago that I would split any winnings with them.  Remember those elderly sisters who were estranged for decades then one won and the other sued? 

Or the clerk at the store where I buy lotto and am friendly with.  He could say we were chatting about it and I told him if I won I'd give him half if he sold me the winning ticket.  It would be easy for him to produce videotape of us chatting.  They don't record audio so it would be a me said/he said situation.

There are apparently people who make a living filing nuisance lawsuits.  They read the paper looking for a good target then file a suit knowing they wouldn't win if it went to court but gambling that their target will pay 20k or 50k just to get them to go away rather than paying even more to lawyers to fight the suit. No way I'd deliberately open myself up to that kind of crap.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #74096
                          May 2, 2009
                          22933 Posts
                          Posted: February 3, 2016, 10:58 am - IP Logged

lol! Just shows you that you have to be careful of what you read and BELIEVE...that goes for anything, anywhere...here too. Stretch

United States
                            Member #172489
                            January 26, 2016
                            43 Posts
                            Posted: February 3, 2016, 11:01 am - IP Logged

I think they are just making preparations to get out of dodge, and possibly are assembling a team to help manage the windfall.

I agree.

LA Ca.
                              United States
                              Member #172750
                              February 3, 2016
                              89 Posts
                              Posted: February 3, 2016, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

I'm thinking the other two winners are both sat at home thinking "I'll wait for that other schmuck to claim his share & while the all the media focus on him, I'll go claim my share".

I bet they both pop up within a day of each other.