Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Signing Your Name on Bacl of Winning Ticket Using Your First Middle Name Initials & Surname

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 10 months ago by lulu1feather.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #171587
January 10, 2016
19 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2016, 1:28 am - IP Logged

If somehow you did win the Grand Prize in the Lottery and want to hide your identity as much as possible in States where they won't let you be anonymous, can you just initial you first name and possibly your middle name along with your last name written on the back of the winning lottery ticket? For example, say my complete name including middle name is John Peter Smith and my drivers license with my signature is signed John Smith. Can I just have the back of the ticket signed either, J. Smith or J.P. Smith instead of John Smith the signature on my Drivers license or will the lottery officials say that my John Smith signature on my drivers license isn't the same as J. Smith or J.P. Smith?

If my J. Smith or J.P. Smith name is acceptable, I figure this will make it harder for people to know the Lottery winner was John Smith of Whatever City. Am I wrong?

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
    Jacksonville, Florida
    United States
    Member #140364
    March 17, 2013
    195 Posts
    Posted: February 4, 2016, 2:42 am - IP Logged

I would assume it's unacceptable as Jacob Paul Smith could turn in the "J.P. Smith" ticket instead of John Peter Smith. Also for Florida you have to fill out a claim form and you have to put the name that is listed with the IRS

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
      Member #153629
      March 20, 2014
      128 Posts
      Posted: February 4, 2016, 3:37 am - IP Logged

Good question, I always wondered if the ticket was to be signed with full name or with a signature. My signature on passport and drivers license is close to unreadable. When I bought tickets in California earlier I signed with my full name. What's the right way?

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 14,45%

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
        Texas
        United States
        Member #150797
        December 31, 2013
        815 Posts
        Posted: February 4, 2016, 8:25 am - IP Logged

Good question, I always wondered if the ticket was to be signed with full name or with a signature. My signature on passport and drivers license is close to unreadable. When I bought tickets in California earlier I signed with my full name. What's the right way?

When it says "sign the back of the ticket" with no other information I would sign the way I usually sign documents.

For example, if I usually sign checks, documents etc. "T. Lotto", then signing my lottery ticket "Tia L. Lotto" or any other variation, could raise questions as to whether or not it is really my signature.

If your signature is just a scribble, presumably you could submit other examples of your scribble to prove it is you.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

cbr$'s avatar - maren
          Cordova,Al.
          United States
          Member #104482
          January 15, 2011
          4889 Posts
          Posted: February 4, 2016, 10:55 am - IP Logged

If somehow you did win the Grand Prize in the Lottery and want to hide your identity as much as possible in States where they won't let you be anonymous, can you just initial you first name and possibly your middle name along with your last name written on the back of the winning lottery ticket? For example, say my complete name including middle name is John Peter Smith and my drivers license with my signature is signed John Smith. Can I just have the back of the ticket signed either, J. Smith or J.P. Smith instead of John Smith the signature on my Drivers license or will the lottery officials say that my John Smith signature on my drivers license isn't the same as J. Smith or J.P. Smith?

If my J. Smith or J.P. Smith name is acceptable, I figure this will make it harder for people to know the Lottery winner was John Smith of Whatever City. Am I wrong?

The only exception to this rule that I know of is. When your name is to long . Example you have first name , middle name , Surname - another Surname. You can sign with just one of the surnames the last one. If the IRS has you listed under two surname then they found you by the last surname. 

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
            Oregon
            United States
            Member #168137
            August 17, 2015
            124 Posts
            Posted: February 4, 2016, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

By signing your name, are you still able to claim it anonymously with a trust?