Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won a huge jackpot, who would you tell...

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 10 months ago by Guru101.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Prior to turning in your ticket?

Spouse [ 8 ]  [24.24%]
Childhood friends [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Current friends [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Work associates [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Boss at work [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Person who sold you the ticket [ 1 ]  [3.03%]
News media [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
All of the above [ 2 ]  [6.06%]
None of the above [ 22 ]  [66.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 33 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4102 Posts
Posted: February 6, 2016, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

You don't have an option on your poll for communicating with GOD !!! 

I would THANK GOD First !!! 

Then ASK the DIVINE what is the WISEST STRATEGY for handling the winning Jackpot $$$, b/c sometimes, it's not the logical procedure that We think it should be.

PRAY ABOUT IT !!!  If you don't normally bow your head inwardly to commune with the HIGHER POWER that DOES EXIST [whether you Believe it or Not], TRY IT !!! - LEARN HOW TO !!!

There is a LIVE ENERGY DIVINE FABRIC that is woven throughout the Entire Universal Cosmos !!!  Its Existence has nothing whatsoever to do with our Belief !!! IT simply IS !!!

Here's a Novel Idea - Make FRIENDS with IT, so IT can PROTECT ITS MONEY, b/c the Money belongs to IT, in the first place !!!  CONTEMPLATE this FACT, until you Realize this TRUTH !!!

No disrespect DC- but thanking God for your win is a personal thing. Millions of lottery players have been requesting " help " from their deity for decades &  have come up empty.. As for asking" advice"  from God, how do you expect to receive a response? If given bad advice with your investments- do you turn around and blame God?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
    Member #172730
    February 3, 2016
    22 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2016, 12:37 am - IP Logged

I'd tell my fiance who's head would explode instantly haha. It would be very hard to continue to go to work and deal with bs knowing that in two weeks I was going to be a millionaire but I'd do my best to not tell a soul. I'd simply bless a few ppl who deserve it and disappear. Anyone asks I, "came into some unexpected money but I have to go away for a while." :)

Idaho
      United States
      Member #76087
      June 18, 2009
      859 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2016, 1:46 am - IP Logged

My husband (god rest his soul) always said, "If you win, DON'T TELL ANYONE!!!"  And then he'd follow up with, "But of course, you will, right?  How am I going to protect you? Us!" 

haha 

But after seeing those screwball Robinsons on the talk show, my late husband's words have come back to me lately.  Yes, I would be very careful.  I would see an attorney and a financial advisor, then take it from there.  At work I would not even tell them.  I'd just give notice and say I am moving on to another job.  (You know, the job of better living.)

La Maga Della Spaziometria

The Windy City
        United States
        Member #171690
        January 10, 2016
        62 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2016, 6:47 am - IP Logged

My attorney and my accountant for sure.    On their advice, I may speak with a financial adviser.   Although with where PB is right now, most of that money would be going into US bonds to be used over the next 40 years.   I feel that money like that you need to protect, not grow.   I'd also tell my dog.   He'd be excited, but then again he's always excited.

- Wanna win at least a couple commas

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3300 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2016, 8:02 am - IP Logged

I ticked no one. but i doubt i could keep my mouth shut.  I do usually play with my family,. and that measn 1/5th each. guess i have to tell them. but i will be saying if you want to tell anyone, tell em  " you won, and dont mention the rest of us "

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #74096
            May 2, 2009
            22834 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2016, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Do yourself a big favor and don't tell anyone.

Just remember to do good things for people who deserve it. You will know the difference.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

Canada
              Member #172267
              January 19, 2016
              18 Posts
              Posted: February 8, 2016, 2:39 am - IP Logged

I'm definitely telling my husband that I won since 1) he's my best friend and the only person I completely trust, 2) he doesn't play the lottery but fully supports my love of "chasing the dream" and 3) if I win it is going to be our money either way so there's no point in hiding it from him. Everyone else can find out IF I decide to tell them in the future.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                Lavender Rocket

United States
                Member #124616
                March 16, 2012
                2642 Posts
                Posted: February 8, 2016, 3:37 am - IP Logged

Who would I tell - I wouldnt have to choose as you cant stay anonymous in RI.  Just woudnt talk about it much and let time and other winners take the lime-light.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1953 Posts
                  Posted: February 8, 2016, 5:54 am - IP Logged

Guru101, I am assuming that you have all your ducks lined up in a row. Do you have your Last Will & Testament, Living Revocable Trust? Life insurance to cover the Estate tax on the remaining amount of your win that your heirs can use to help them pay the death tax.

You must already have a plan to invest it. Are you thinking long term? 20 or 30 years or more? This will be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

By going to your Lottery Office the next business day, you will save the cost of a Safe Box at your bank.

I hope that you have read here on Lottery Post the rags to riches to rags stories.

Some are still alive and regretting their poor financial decisions.

As the Former Quarterback, Bernie Kozar said, "The one advantage of declaring bankruptcy is that all those relatives, friends, strangers stop coming around when you have no money left".

I think that Bernie played for the Cleveland Browns.?.

Frown

I'm going to sort everything out after I got the money in the bank. People might think keeping tens of millions of dollars in a single bank account is risky, but it's even more risky holding on to a lottery ticket for a long period of time. After I get my money, I'm taking a 6 month vacation. I'm not going to worry about how I should invest it or share it with anybody. When I get back from vacation, then I will look at my investment options and figure out how I can split it up.

Gonna win.Big Smile