Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why are ticket sales stopped an hour or two before each draw?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 10 months ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Tulsa
United States
Member #172877
February 7, 2016
131 Posts
Posted: February 13, 2016, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

It should not matter if a ticket is bought ten minutes before the draw if the numbers are completely random.  Also, the ticket sales before each draw add to the jackpot amount of the following drawing, if I am correct.  I have a hard time believing that the people behind these drawings do not want to see the jackpot drag out to get as many people as possible in.  I have more friends that say they will play the lottery when it is a substantial amount: a few hundred million plus than I do friends that are semi-regular to regular players regardless of the size of the jackpot.  Think of the absurd lines and ticket sales that occurred for the last big drawing.  Also, do the people that win that jackpot get any of those tickets sales?

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
    Member #164727
    March 12, 2015
    2516 Posts
    Posted: February 13, 2016, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

The officials want to avoid all the people who are running to the store naked to buy their tickets. Green laugh

Tulsa
      United States
      Member #172877
      February 7, 2016
      131 Posts
      Posted: February 13, 2016, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

Well, then they are taking away all of the fun for the rest of us spectators.  I saw that the winning ticket from Tennessee bought their one line (<snip> it!) mere hours before the drawing. 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #150273
        December 18, 2013
        495 Posts
        Posted: February 13, 2016, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

I think you said it...long lines at the checkout. I think the cutoff ensures that people won't wait until the last minute to get their tickets...like five minutes before the drawing kind of last minute. I can only imagine the headache that could be created by making the cutoff that close to a drawing.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: February 13, 2016, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

All lottery tickets in Ohio except PowerBall are sold up to fifteen minutes before their drawings.  Each states have different rules, check their websites.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
            Happy California
            United States
            Member #157856
            August 2, 2014
            1513 Posts
            Posted: February 13, 2016, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

I think you said it...long lines at the checkout. I think the cutoff ensures that people won't wait until the last minute to get their tickets...like five minutes before the drawing kind of last minute. I can only imagine the headache that could be created by making the cutoff that close to a drawing.

I Agree! with Candlelight777.  There is a Canadian who purchased two tickets. One ticket was printed just before the cut-off. The second ticket was purchased 7 seconds after the cut-off time. The second ticket had all the correct numbers but was too late to win. That man has sued the Lottery and has lost all the way up to the Highest court in Canada.

One of the many good reasons why American lotteries have cut-off times so that will not happen here. They know that players believe that it is good luck to wait until the last second.

Dunk

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7302 Posts
              Posted: February 13, 2016, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

All lottery tickets in Ohio except PowerBall are sold up to fifteen minutes before their drawings.  Each states have different rules, check their websites.

If they can't understand their state lottery rules, they'll never figure out each state lottery has different rules.

Tulsa
                United States
                Member #172877
                February 7, 2016
                131 Posts
                Posted: February 13, 2016, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

I'm going to buy a QP tonight one minute before my state's cut off time.  Wish me luck!

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                  Brooklyn, NY
                  United States
                  Member #169723
                  October 29, 2015
                  877 Posts
                  Posted: February 13, 2016, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

Well, then they are taking away all of the fun for the rest of us spectators.  I saw that the winning ticket from Tennessee bought their one line (<snip> it!) mere hours before the drawing. 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Here is a link to the ABC video 

The Moment Powerball Jackpot Winning Ticket Was Bought in Tennessee

http://abcnews.go.com/US/moment-powerball-jackpot-winning-ticket-bought-tennessee/story?id=36324796.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

The Windy City
                    United States
                    Member #171690
                    January 10, 2016
                    62 Posts
                    Posted: February 13, 2016, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Here is a link to the ABC video 

The Moment Powerball Jackpot Winning Ticket Was Bought in Tennessee

http://abcnews.go.com/US/moment-powerball-jackpot-winning-ticket-bought-tennessee/story?id=36324796.

Maybe we should all start buying our tickets in a gorilla costume....and claiming them the same way.

- Wanna win at least a couple commas

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10348 Posts
                      Posted: February 13, 2016, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

The officials want to avoid all the people who are running to the store naked to buy their tickets. Green laugh

Excellent, great sense of humor!

Green laugh

Dreaming Gemini,

All jp winners should appear as Dr Zaius

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #104962
                        January 23, 2011
                        1075 Posts
                        Posted: February 14, 2016, 9:21 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't be surprised the reason why it is done is to find number combinations that haven't sold, or a they are looking for a certain number combination drawn from a certain area.

Trump 2016!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19825 Posts
                          Posted: February 14, 2016, 11:07 am - IP Logged

If they can't understand their state lottery rules, they'll never figure out each state lottery has different rules.

You're probably right, if more players read and understood their state lotteries rules less of such questions would be asked.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Tulsa
                            United States
                            Member #172877
                            February 7, 2016
                            131 Posts
                            Posted: February 14, 2016, 11:30 am - IP Logged

I'm leaning to think that they want to find combinations that have not been purchased.  There were at least 4 million dollar winners last night but no jackpot winners. Yes, the game is "random" but even randomness can be somewhat swayed.  With declining PB sales, they love to see the jackpot get up to the hundreds of millions as it gets more players to buy in.  40-100 million jackpot winners don't get the coverage like the 1.5 billion dollar jackpot we just had which, in turn, gives the lottery a lot of free exposure and creates excitement.  To be honest, I just started playing the lottery with the big drawing and I will continue to do so.

Tulsa
                              United States
                              Member #172877
                              February 7, 2016
                              131 Posts
                              Posted: February 14, 2016, 11:35 am - IP Logged

You're probably right, if more players read and understood their state lotteries rules less of such questions would be asked.

I didn't see any explanation as to why the sales are cutoff an hour before in my state's rules.  So, I am free to ask as to why people might think that rule exists.  I agree with one of the reasons is to keep people from swarming the stores at the last second.  However, I believe that is not the only reason.