Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Warrant Holds vs. Liens and Levies

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 9 months ago by macrowiz.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Plano, TX
United States
Member #173150
February 19, 2016
4 Posts
Posted: February 22, 2016, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

TLC process documents talk about a State agency being able to request a warrant hold through the Comptroller if you owe that agency money. The Comptroller apparently can pay a "setoff" against a hold, giving the agency its money, and you get whatever is left of your winnings after that.

The documents also talk about them looking for court orders, and Federal liens and levies such as for the IRS.  How does TLC get this information? Doesn't seem like they would have that sort of information in their system.  How would TLC know if I owe taxes? (I don't owe anymore, but I'm curious.)

Anyone have some insight?

United States
    Member #130795
    July 25, 2012
    80 Posts
    Posted: February 22, 2016, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

From section 36 of the "Winner Payment Processing and Review" document: "Each night the agency receives an electronic download from the State Controller’s office that shows any taxpayer number that has a hold status/debt setoff. [....] If a taxpayer number matches the download then the hold status/debt setoff will be automatically be deducted from the player’s payment".

You must provide a TIN (SSN or trust EIN) when you file a claim with the TLC.  That is only for winnings that exceed some amount.  (I'm sure that threshold is available online, but I'm not bothering to look for it.)  Court orders and government liens are a matter of public record, all tied to your TIN.

Plano, TX
      United States
      Member #173150
      February 19, 2016
      4 Posts
      Posted: February 22, 2016, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

That makes sense. Thanks!