Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Interesting thing printed on DC lottery ticket

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 9 months ago by James78.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #121745
January 16, 2012
4788 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2016, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

I know they print all types of things but this one sounded urgent and ominous. " PROTECT YOURSELF! IMMEDIATELY SIGN THE BACK OF YOUR TICKET. SIGNATURE DETERMINES OWNERSHIP!"

It was a hot lotto ticket. Lol

J'aime La France.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2659 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2016, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I know they print all types of things but this one sounded urgent and ominous. " PROTECT YOURSELF! IMMEDIATELY SIGN THE BACK OF YOUR TICKET. SIGNATURE DETERMINES OWNERSHIP!"

LOL lots of luck Green laugh

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
      Member #164727
      March 12, 2015
      2518 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2016, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

I thought it says something similar in all states. Isn't signing your ticket on the back, Lottery 101?

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4788 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2016, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

I thought it says something similar in all states. Isn't signing your ticket on the back, Lottery 101?

I have never seen it in all caps with exclamation points and the added ownership reference. This was also a hot lotto ticket which made it even funnier. My old hot lotto tickets do not have it nor is it typically on DC or VA tickets.

J'aime La France.

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
          Member #131594
          August 14, 2012
          171 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2016, 12:31 am - IP Logged

This has been real thing with DC lately.  Not only is it showing up on the tickets but I have been getting email from the DC lottery with the same advice about once a week since the beginning of the year.

Recently I played Powerball in Louisiana and noticed they have a circular symbol with a pen on their tickets with the banner  'sign it NOW!'

Lotto Lucy

United States
            Member #131594
            August 14, 2012
            171 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2016, 12:34 am - IP Logged

I have to admit the first time I saw it I laughed.  Then I thought, given the circumstances, just maybe they knew in advance I was going to be the winner.  Green laugh

Lotto Lucy

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              22893 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2016, 5:54 am - IP Logged

Has there been a recent story where a state or DC was in the midst of an ownership dispute

I wonder? Maybe the sudden alert - in caps - is to save them the headache. We know a ticket

is considered belonging to the person who presents it for collection but there have been

disputes in the past where the bearer instrument detail wasn't cut and dry. Caps does seem

urgent.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                Texas
                United States
                Member #150797
                December 31, 2013
                815 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2016, 7:35 am - IP Logged

Well, signing your ticket can't protect you from Eddie Tipton, but it can make it impossible for the store clerk to switch your winner for a losing ticket and then say "Nope, no winners on this one".

It may be that DC has been getting a lot of complaints about the latter situation.

And, yes Artist, I certainly do see the humor! Green laugh

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: February 24, 2016, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

A signature doesn't mean anything unless the ticket is worth enough that you have to cash it at a lottery office. A clerk at a convenience store isn't going to check your ID, and having a signature on the back  won't stop them from telling you it's not a winner any more than having the winning numbers on the front will.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #150273
                    December 18, 2013
                    495 Posts
                    Posted: February 24, 2016, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

I never have clerks scan my tickets...most lotteries have phone apps like mine so you can scan your own tickets...and i always double check the website as well because i still don't fully trust the phone apps completely yet. In this day and time there just isn't a reason anymore to rely on clerks to scan your tickets.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                      Happy California
                      United States
                      Member #157856
                      August 2, 2014
                      1513 Posts
                      Posted: February 24, 2016, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

I never have clerks scan my tickets...most lotteries have phone apps like mine so you can scan your own tickets...and i always double check the website as well because i still don't fully trust the phone apps completely yet. In this day and time there just isn't a reason anymore to rely on clerks to scan your tickets.

Here in California, we have "Check a ticket" self-serve machines. If yours does not work then we rely on the clerk.   Of course, I get the ball park amount of my win online before taking it into my store.

I come home immediately after purchasing a ticket then I sign it with blue ink with the same signature as will be on the claim form. The blue ink stands out better on my claim form.

Sad Wavey

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #74096
                        May 2, 2009
                        22893 Posts
                        Posted: February 24, 2016, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

For winning tickets I have to sign anyway due to claim requirements, I'll do it.

For tickets I'm turning in that do not need a claim form, I'll pass.

Sometimes I have wondered whether signing a non-claim ticket would give some

useful info to the lottery...and I decided they don't need that info on little wins of

$600.00 and under.

They make it a general rule of thumb...'sign your ticket when you win'.....who is

doing that on all their wins I wonder?

United States
                          Member #121745
                          January 16, 2012
                          4788 Posts
                          Posted: February 24, 2016, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I have to admit the first time I saw it I laughed.  Then I thought, given the circumstances, just maybe they knew in advance I was going to be the winner.  Green laugh

Lol I still will not sign it with my name since I will use a trust.

Aren't you in the DC area? I just came up from downstairs. I just got off the bus and heard sirens in Alexandria and ran home and grabbed the pets and went downstairs. Some rotation triggered the sirens. What a night here.

J'aime La France.

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4788 Posts
                            Posted: February 24, 2016, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Has there been a recent story where a state or DC was in the midst of an ownership dispute

I wonder? Maybe the sudden alert - in caps - is to save them the headache. We know a ticket

is considered belonging to the person who presents it for collection but there have been

disputes in the past where the bearer instrument detail wasn't cut and dry. Caps does seem

urgent.

I wonder if Tipton messed with the DC lottery or tried to do so.

J'aime La France.

United States
                              Member #131594
                              August 14, 2012
                              171 Posts
                              Posted: February 24, 2016, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Lol I still will not sign it with my name since I will use a trust.

Aren't you in the DC area? I just came up from downstairs. I just got off the bus and heard sirens in Alexandria and ran home and grabbed the pets and went downstairs. Some rotation triggered the sirens. What a night here.

Yes, those were some storms!  It rained so hard it blew the access caps off our downspouts due to excess water pressure but luckily we don't have any storm damage.  The lightening display was unbelievable.  Crazy weather for February.

Glad you are safe!

Lotto Lucy