Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New York Lotto Rollover (and Bonus Number) Questions?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 8 months ago by LOTTOKING2016.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
New York, NY
United States
Member #163999
February 15, 2015
3 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2016, 4:28 am - IP Logged

Alright so unfortunately New York Lotto has been gutted in recent years facing tough competition from Mega Millions and Powerball.

Initial jackpot was cut from $3,000,000 to $2,000,000, and rollover amount decreased from $500k to $300k. And of course the low-tier prizes suck.

Since so few evidently play it, the last Lotto jackpot built up for months until a $42,500,000 jackpot win last October.

However the actual rollover amount seems to vary... I am curious if anyone knows what the Lotto's methodology for increasing the rollover amount is? Is this a standard pattern to be expected in each Lotto jackpot build-up?

In the last Lotto cycle the rollover was $300k until it reached $13.7 million (where it is now), after which rollover increased to $400k and jumped to $14.1 million, then $14.5 million, etc. until it reached $16.1 million when it started increasing by $500k to $16.6 million then $17.1 million, then it jumped $600k to $17.7 million and $18.3 million and kept increasing by $600k until it reached $28.5 million, after which the rollover amount dropped back to $500k and remained there until the $42.5 million jackpot was won.

Meanwhile in this Lotto cycle so far, it was increasing by $300k until it reached $10.1 million, then jumped $400k to $10.5 million, $10.9 million, etc. currently as mentioned at $13.7 million.

What determines when the rollover amount is supposed to increase and decrease? Is it actually based on how many people are playing and putting money into it, or what explains this (welcomed) variance from what is supposed to be just a $300k rollover each time?

Also just a question about the "Bonus number". The Lotto format is technically considered 6/59+1/53.

The odds of hitting all 6 numbers for the jackpot are 1/45,057,474.

But the odds of hitting 5 numbers + the bonus number are 1/7,509,579

If the Lotto is drawing 7 numbers (6+the bonus) out of 59, what exactly makes that 7th number so much more likely to match up with the other 5 numbers drawn than the 6th number drawn? What am I missing about the math behind this? Confused

Post Topic

Thanks!

NEW YORK
    United States
    Member #90535
    April 29, 2010
    11982 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2016, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Alright so unfortunately New York Lotto has been gutted in recent years facing tough competition from Mega Millions and Powerball.

Initial jackpot was cut from $3,000,000 to $2,000,000, and rollover amount decreased from $500k to $300k. And of course the low-tier prizes suck.

Since so few evidently play it, the last Lotto jackpot built up for months until a $42,500,000 jackpot win last October.

However the actual rollover amount seems to vary... I am curious if anyone knows what the Lotto's methodology for increasing the rollover amount is? Is this a standard pattern to be expected in each Lotto jackpot build-up?

In the last Lotto cycle the rollover was $300k until it reached $13.7 million (where it is now), after which rollover increased to $400k and jumped to $14.1 million, then $14.5 million, etc. until it reached $16.1 million when it started increasing by $500k to $16.6 million then $17.1 million, then it jumped $600k to $17.7 million and $18.3 million and kept increasing by $600k until it reached $28.5 million, after which the rollover amount dropped back to $500k and remained there until the $42.5 million jackpot was won.

Meanwhile in this Lotto cycle so far, it was increasing by $300k until it reached $10.1 million, then jumped $400k to $10.5 million, $10.9 million, etc. currently as mentioned at $13.7 million.

What determines when the rollover amount is supposed to increase and decrease? Is it actually based on how many people are playing and putting money into it, or what explains this (welcomed) variance from what is supposed to be just a $300k rollover each time?

Also just a question about the "Bonus number". The Lotto format is technically considered 6/59+1/53.

The odds of hitting all 6 numbers for the jackpot are 1/45,057,474.

But the odds of hitting 5 numbers + the bonus number are 1/7,509,579

If the Lotto is drawing 7 numbers (6+the bonus) out of 59, what exactly makes that 7th number so much more likely to match up with the other 5 numbers drawn than the 6th number drawn? What am I missing about the math behind this? Confused

Post Topic

Thanks!

ARE YOU A NEW YORK LOTTERY EMPLOYEE?

HIGHER LOTTERY JACKPOTS=HIGHER LOTTERY SALES.

I will not build the New York Lotto jackpot for you.

I will play the New York Lotto when the jackpot gets to $40 Million.

I WILL PLAY THE NEW YORK LOTTO SOMEDAY.

Green laughGreen laughGreen laugh

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: February 25, 2016, 2:54 am - IP Logged

The NY lottery works very hard to not reveal useful information. It's probably been 20 years since I last found information about the cash value of the advertised annuity. For that $42.5 million annuity jackpot the official press release doesn't even say how much he got as a lump sum prize. Based on that I'd figure that the only way you'll get any useful and accurate data is by filing a FOIA request. Of course you could always get a copy of the official rules, which would include soe basic info, about how the jackpot is determined.

That said, the jackpots are at least loosely related to actual sales. You can certainly tell by the number of small prizes that as the jackpot increase more tickets are sold. Like powerball, I expect that the available cash isn't enough to fund the advertised annuity until it rolls over several times. At some point sales are big enough that the jackpot goes up by more than the initial minimum increase of $300k.

As for the bonus number, you're missing an important piece of info, but it's not really the math. To  win the jackpot you need to have all 6 numbers, and there's only 1 way to have all 6 number. For the 2nd place prize you need any 5 of the 6 numbers plus the 7th number, and there are 6 ways to have 5 of the 6.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
        NY State
        United States
        Member #92609
        June 10, 2010
        3707 Posts
        Posted: February 25, 2016, 7:26 am - IP Logged

The NY lottery works very hard to not reveal useful information. It's probably been 20 years since I last found information about the cash value of the advertised annuity. For that $42.5 million annuity jackpot the official press release doesn't even say how much he got as a lump sum prize. Based on that I'd figure that the only way you'll get any useful and accurate data is by filing a FOIA request. Of course you could always get a copy of the official rules, which would include soe basic info, about how the jackpot is determined.

That said, the jackpots are at least loosely related to actual sales. You can certainly tell by the number of small prizes that as the jackpot increase more tickets are sold. Like powerball, I expect that the available cash isn't enough to fund the advertised annuity until it rolls over several times. At some point sales are big enough that the jackpot goes up by more than the initial minimum increase of $300k.

As for the bonus number, you're missing an important piece of info, but it's not really the math. To  win the jackpot you need to have all 6 numbers, and there's only 1 way to have all 6 number. For the 2nd place prize you need any 5 of the 6 numbers plus the 7th number, and there are 6 ways to have 5 of the 6.

Excellent post and spot on.

The only other info I'd offer beyond what's written above is contacting the editor's of Lotto News and Lotto Stat's.

Ask them if they either know how the rollover is determined, or to enlist their help in getting the info from The NY Lottery.  They're pretty good at getting information out of the NY Lottery via FIOL requests.  I've seen them do that in the past with good results. G5 

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
          Brooklyn, NY
          United States
          Member #169723
          October 29, 2015
          879 Posts
          Posted: March 20, 2016, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Very good post KY. Especially the part about the 1st & 2nd prizes.

Just last night someone won 2nd prize for $210,649.00. Not too shabby.

The jackpot continues to climb. Now at $16,500,000

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

United States
            Member #172415
            January 23, 2016
            3795 Posts
            Posted: March 28, 2016, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

NY LOTTO is surely fixed and rigged...I don't even take this seriously it's a complete joke and I don't spend too much on this 6/59 Lotto