Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 7:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How long do you wait to check your ticket after a drawing?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 11 months ago by LiveInGreenBay.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
Brooklyn, NY
United States
Member #169723
October 29, 2015
885 Posts
Posted: March 1, 2016, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

In a news article on LP a Michigan man had $1 million lottery ticket in his wallet for months

Click to read story https://www.lotterypost.com/news/300625

I know I check my tickets after the drawing,

How long do you wait to check your ticket after a drawing?

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
    Oregon
    United States
    Member #168137
    August 17, 2015
    125 Posts
    Posted: March 1, 2016, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

I used to have this weird issue with checking immediately after a drawing and I'd wait until days later- as if when I checked it had anything to do with the outcome- as if there were a right and wrong time? Pfftt. Crazy Maybe I just wasn't ready for the dream to end?

Now days, since finding the USAMega.com website, I have now started waiting until after the numbers have been posted, and check the second update that says if there was a winner, and which state. I know that I don't have to get too excited to check mine if I don't see Oregon in the mix. And when I do see my state showing a jackpot or million dollar winner, I think I leap off the couch, much like Superman, and arrive at my ticket in a single bound, snatch it up, and do some sort of ultimate ninja warrior move back to the computer screen.... and then when I realize it wasnt meThud, I go to bed to dream of the next drawing! Bed

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #150273
      December 18, 2013
      495 Posts
      Posted: March 1, 2016, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

i always check the next morning after the drawing..i use my lottery's  phone app  to scan my tickets and if it says i didnt' win anything then later that evening i double check my tickets on my lottery's website when i get home.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
        Member #153629
        March 20, 2014
        138 Posts
        Posted: March 1, 2016, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

I login online to check the drawing as soon they are done. Depends on the lottery, some drawings I check at breakfast.

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 12,6%

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5738 Posts
          Posted: March 1, 2016, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

About 30 seconds.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Portland, OR
            United States
            Member #145973
            August 20, 2013
            226 Posts
            Posted: March 1, 2016, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

I wait to hear if somebody won the lottery in town.  If I don't hear anything, I place it in a pile until I get tired of seeing them (month or two later sometimes 3 months) and check them all in one night.  Usually I have a dollar or two prizes waiting for me.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              23208 Posts
              Posted: March 1, 2016, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

I wait to hear if somebody won the lottery in town.  If I don't hear anything, I place it in a pile until I get tired of seeing them (month or two later sometimes 3 months) and check them all in one night.  Usually I have a dollar or two prizes waiting for me.

Eek

I've seen people at the ticket checker with stacks of 20 tickets at a time scanning for winners and tossing the losers.

I wouldn't be able to hold mine that long...is the thought process glass half full and maybe if you don't look right away,

there's a jp match in the pile or is it glass half empty and hold them until you amass $40 in winners...$1 or $2 at a time?

I check whatever I'm playing as soon as I can...that's 5 seconds flat after the results are posted...this is for jp games.

For daily's, I check as soon as I can. Sometimes that's 1/2 hour later.

Well, for those of you that hold onto tickets...I hope one day you get a real nice surprise for being so patient.

010 122 963 824 684 584 0000 6837 4061 1207 2319 4901 1009 1347 1537

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6290 Posts
                Posted: March 2, 2016, 10:24 am - IP Logged

If it's the weekend I will check the same night but during the weekday usually in the morning.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                  Happy California
                  United States
                  Member #157856
                  August 2, 2014
                  1547 Posts
                  Posted: March 2, 2016, 10:29 am - IP Logged

I am trying to wait until morning because I really do not want a sleepless night when I win.

Stretch

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                    Nova Scotia
                    Canada
                    Member #9934
                    December 27, 2004
                    891 Posts
                    Posted: March 2, 2016, 11:35 am - IP Logged

I check my numbers daily, I need the money, so I can move with my cat, out of the condominium, that i live in. I really want to help myself, improve my life!

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3315 Posts
                      Posted: March 2, 2016, 11:59 am - IP Logged

Lots of good answers, i like the superman / ninja imagery.  for me when the numbers are avail, ill check and when at a store scanner ill scan, and ill also hand over to clerk for a 3rd check, well thats keno. Im buying online for lotto , so they all get checked  when ever. i usually look 20 min after the draw and the results are marked and prizes tallied on the  display

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
                        Member #153629
                        March 20, 2014
                        138 Posts
                        Posted: March 2, 2016, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

I am trying to wait until morning because I really do not want a sleepless night when I win.

Stretch

Expect many many many sleepless nights when you win! What difference does the first one do?

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 12,6%

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                          Happy California
                          United States
                          Member #157856
                          August 2, 2014
                          1547 Posts
                          Posted: March 2, 2016, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

Expect many many many sleepless nights when you win! What difference does the first one do?

bigbuckswede, After I get that good night's sleep I will place the ticket into a safe box. Safety deposit box at my bank. What could be difficult is if I win on Saturday night and have to wait until Monday. I will really be sweating it if Monday is a holiday! LOL Sulk Off

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                            Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #129225
                            June 13, 2012
                            546 Posts
                            Posted: March 2, 2016, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

I don't like to check my tickets often so I usually wait several weeks and let them stack up. If there is a big winner at a place I purchase them at I would check sooner but $4.00 wins don't really excite me too much.

London
                              United Kingdom
                              Member #140684
                              March 24, 2013
                              566 Posts
                              Posted: March 2, 2016, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

I always get annoyed checking straight after the draw because the raffle takes an hour or so to be announced so I just try and forget about it then check a couple of hours after the draw.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2